Thread: Endless Legend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Endless Legend

New 4X TBS game released last week. I wasn't a big fan of Endless Space - it seemed too paint-by-numbers for me, and without much strategic depth. I think Endless Legend is potentially a lot better though. The game has a lot of interesting mechanics. There's nothing really revolutionary here, but they put the systems together to good effect to make a lot of interesting strategic choices and trade-offs. The artwork and game lore are pretty good too Mechanically and artistically I think the game is fantastic.

The bad part is the AI. I can't think of any 4X game that had an AI I was really satisfied with, but Endless Legend's seems to be especially bad. It just can't pose much of a challenge to human players. Even at higher difficulty levels, where most of the added difficulty comes from cheap-feeling cheating by the AI, they still can't win despite their unearned advantages. The random wandering neutrals monsters seem to be a more significant hurdle than the player AIs. There is some suggestion that the fix to the AI might be simple and that the team just needs time to do it, so there is some hope that things will get better.

It'd probably be a good purchase if anyone ever plays TBS's in multiplayer, or if you're more interested in playing with the mechanics that facing a challenging opponent. Otherwise, I can't recommend the game until the AI improves. If it does, the game could be pretty fantastic though.

I bought it and played it. It was nice.

AI was bad, yeah. *shrug*

Wraith's OP was nearly a year ago so I'm guessing from your comment that the AI hasn't been improved in patches in the past year? I don't play online so if there's no AI worth its salt then can't see a game being worth getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I just didn't want to start a new thread so I did a search. AI seems okay at the start but only because they have a big head start (cheating). None of the 4x games really have competent AI.