Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: What's NASA Up To And Other Space Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    It's not that I think it's never aliens. It's just unlikely to be aliens, so you should prove it is and not use it for any unexplained phenomena. Saying we don't understand Oumumua so it's probably aliens or we don't understand a star's light emissions so it's probably aliens is a bit of a cheap argument because you can just assign any skill to the aliens to explain anything. And yeah scientists will be critical because that's how science work, you're supposed to challenge everything until it's proven.
    From his hot Jupiter example, I think he's going for the point that we default de-prioritize (aka underfund/ don't fund, I presume) things like SETI, a crash program to send a probe to catch Oumumua, or telescopes designed to look at extra-solar planet atmospheres, etc, because those programs are only justified by starting with the premise that there could and should be aliens out there. The baseline assumption is nobody's there, so these programs don't get the money they should, because why fund programs to look for something that we already know isn't there.

EDIT: Probably the *real* heart of the matter is that science is underfunded across the board and scientists are wary of asking for money to do things that are easily ridiculed in the public sphere, lest the funding problem worsen. It's the same situation for longevity research.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

SpaceX is launching the Falcon Heavy again Tuesday, April 9. This time it's a commercial flight. The space.com article linked below contains a link to a time lapse video of the rocket's assembly. The Heavy's maiden flight last year featured that amazing dual booster landing - I hope they can stick the third booster landing this time around.

Also, in the same hangar, behind the Heavy, is the Falcon 9 booster that sent the Crew Dragon demo capsule to the ISS back in March. There's a recap video of that launch linked in the article too.

https://www.space.com/spacex-falcon-...adline+Feed%29
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

I'm watching the Event Horizon news release live. Oooo. Exciting!

Watch scientists unveil Event Horizon Telescope’s first image of our galaxy’s supermassive black hole
    https://news.yahoo.com/watch-scienti...024830924.html

EDIT: They did it. Wow. They imaged a black hole event horizon 55 million light years away. Amazing.
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 04-10-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    The Rules

A little proud of humanity today If you look really closely at the photo, you can see TARS waving back.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    SpaceX is launching the Falcon Heavy again Tuesday, April 9. This time it's a commercial flight. The space.com article linked below contains a link to a time lapse video of the rocket's assembly. The Heavy's maiden flight last year featured that amazing dual booster landing - I hope they can stick the third booster landing this time around.

Also, in the same hangar, behind the Heavy, is the Falcon 9 booster that sent the Crew Dragon demo capsule to the ISS back in March. There's a recap video of that launch linked in the article too.

https://www.space.com/spacex-falcon-...adline+Feed%29

Note- the launch is delayed until 630pm, Wednesday, US eastern standard time.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Note- the launch is delayed until 630pm, Wednesday, US eastern standard time.
    Delayed again, high atmosphere wind sheer, apparently. 930pm tonight.
    The Rules

LIGO generating even more excitement:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01377-2
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Was just about to head out to work when I saw the Falcon Heavy was about to launch, so I stuck around to see that first... successful launch, side boosters and core all landed without a hitch. Goosebumps
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Was just about to head out to work when I saw the Falcon Heavy was about to launch, so I stuck around to see that first... successful launch, side boosters and core all landed without a hitch. Goosebumps
    Uh, that was almost three weeks ago.
    The Rules

I was tricked! It looked just like a regular livestream, couldn't skip ahead! I knew they must have faked it
    — Bill Gates

Don't remember if this has already been posted, but I love the second part of the video, about decoding the image data:

— Bill Gates

Jeff Bezos made an announcement about Blue Origin yesterday, unveiling the Blue Moon lunar lander. I'm not sure why they're unveiling a lander before the New Armstrong rocket, which is the model planned for going to the moon. I was hoping the lander would somehow look like a ball sack, in keeping with Blue Origin's design theme, but alas, it only has one spheroid.

Bezos believes that building colonies on other worlds is the wrong way to go. He's advocating O'Neill style space stations, instead. I can see the advantage of not having to deal with gravity wells, but it again makes me wonder why he just unveiled a lander.

BTW, a separate article explained Blue Origin's rocket naming scheme. New Shepard, the suborbital rocket, is named for Alan Shepard who was the first US Astronaut to make a suborbital flight. New Glenn, you guessed it, is the orbital model, named for John Glenn. And the New Armstrong will be the Lunar orbit capable model.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/s...ezos-moon.html
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Don't remember if this has already been posted, but I love the second part of the video, about decoding the image data:
    Good video. I agree.
    The Rules

One thing is to announce a design. A differebt thing is to make it work.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.