Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What's NASA Up To And Other Space Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Planet 9 is Pluto
    If that were accepted, and I'm not saying I disagree, then our system actually has 13 planets, including Ceres, Eris, Makemake and Haumea. Add to that Planet X you get 14 planets total, which is not that big a deal. However, it is conservatively estimated that another 100 Pluto-sized dwarf planets exist out in the deep dark, meaning Sol system would have ~114 planets. That's unmanageable, I think. How are the school children going to memorize them all?

And on the surface, that definition of the "planet" category is offering an equivalency between Ceres, Earth and Jupiter, which is hard to argue makes sense. Sure, there are subcategories... I don't know, Whales, humans, octopuses, gnats and worms are all categorized as animals, so, the merits of subcategorization can't be poo poo'd.... We could call them all Planets, Pluto being in the Dwarf Sub-category, Jupiter in the Gas Giant sub-category, Earth being in the Smallish-Rocky-Wet sub-category.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Planet 9 is Pluto
    Pluto is not a planet and should never have been considered one.

But Brown needs to seek help. The IAU is going to have him committed just to get him out of their hair if he doesn't cut this shit out.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Still shooting for the re-designation of all rocky bodies more than 2x pluto's mass as 'super-plutos'.

In other news, we spied on the atmosphere around this exo-super-pluto (GJ 1132b), and it has an atmosphere of either steam or methane.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39521344
    Your thoughts are broken. Your reasoning is flawed.
    The defense is just an act, and lies are all you've got.
    How easily can we see defeat behind your argument?
    That fatalistic smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Still shooting for the re-designation of all rocky bodies more than 2x pluto's mass as 'super-plutos'.

In other news, we spied on the atmosphere around this exo-super-pluto (GJ 1132b), and it has an atmosphere of either steam or methane.
    Haha, nice.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

“Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Cool illustration of a useful method:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...-sized-planet/
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates