Thread: What's NASA Up To And Other Space Stuff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Creating a magnetic field of a few Tesla is relatively easy. MRIs routinely operate at 1.5 or 3 T, and there are some high powered ones for research that go as high at 7-9 T. Some very high end systems get up into the tens of Tesla. There are some engineering issues, of course - these magnets are supercooled, so effective cooling of them would be an important task. Power consumption is also an issue - these tend to be very power hungry. Maybe it's possible to make a 2-3 T magnet that doesn't require cooling or power, but I'm not really an expert.

The bigger issue I can imagine, though, is understanding exactly what geometry we're talking about here. Making a clinical grade scanner at 3 T isn't that hard - but making the same size magnet at 9 T would be prohibitively expensive/difficult. Generally, the stronger your magnetic field, the smaller bore your NMR/MRI machine will become. Whether this is a relevant consideration for this proposed shield is not clear to me - are there specific geometry/size/shape requirements for the magnetic field, or does it just need to be of a given strength? Etc.
    An even bigger issue: Keeping that thing at the Lagrange point. Because the magnetic field the device creates makes it essentially a huge solar sail.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    An even bigger issue: Keeping that thing at the Lagrange point. Because the magnetic field the device creates makes it essentially a huge solar sail.
    Good point.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    That seems like a show stopper. So the force of the solar wind on the magnetic field would transfer to the the source of the magnetic field and push the device away from the sun? If so, as a side note, is a big magnetic field then a candidate to replace a physical solar sail as propulsion? I suppose, the benefit of the physical sail is it does not require an energy source to keep it running...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)