Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: What's NASA Up To And Other Space Stuff

Obviously. I hear that at some point every Jew gets a turn on the space laser.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Ukraine and space stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V-lj-jCqe8
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

So Russia is threatening not to bring our astronaut home. Honestly didn't see that coming. At least we don't need rides up from Russia anymore. In fact, iirc, didn't they buy a seat on a SpaceX rocket? I wonder if they're still going to do that. And I had no idea Atlas rockets used Russian rocket engines. FFS.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Finally, the truth of our folly...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...1686aed2bc163b

For its study, NOAA used today’s baseline for carbon pollution, which is 1,000 tons of rocket soot per year. Then the team multiplied that figure by 10, which it says is a believable estimate given the recent increase in rocket launches, as well as global plans over the next few decades. At this projected rate, the amount of rocket fuel soot in the stratosphere would raise the temperature in that layer by up to 4 degrees Fahrenheit.

That which we destroy we will recreate on Mars I guess. We are in fact god.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Seems your sig is in conflict with the pretty picture.

Anyone catch the live DART coverage today. Loved the still pic series ending in a very close up view of the asteroid's surface. Hope there are good images of the aftermath.

Also, the Webb pic of Neptune was spectacular, no?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Anyone catch the live DART coverage today. Loved the still pic series ending in a very close up view of the asteroid's surface. Hope there are good images of the aftermath.
    Yes, and I think I saw something waving a white flag just before impact. Can't wait to see the footage from the trailing camera. When is it supposed to be available?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    DART is a war criminal!
    Following up on that, the experiment worked better than expected. Fuck you dinosaurs!

Prior to DART’s impact, it took Dimorphos 11 hours and 55 minutes to orbit its larger parent asteroid, Didymos. Since DART’s intentional collision with Dimorphos on Sept. 26, astronomers have been using telescopes on Earth to measure how much that time has changed. Now, the investigation team has confirmed the spacecraft’s impact altered Dimorphos’ orbit around Didymos by 32 minutes, shortening the 11 hour and 55-minute orbit to 11 hours and 23 minutes. This measurement has a margin of uncertainty of approximately plus or minus 2 minutes.

Before its encounter, NASA had defined a minimum successful orbit period change of Dimorphos as change of 73 seconds or more. This early data show DART surpassed this minimum benchmark by more than 25 times.
    https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...otion-in-space

In other news, looking forward to the Star Ship/Super Heavy first orbital flight hopefully this month, and hoping SLS will actually launch on Nov 14th. And Falcon Heavy's launching today at 940 eastern time - love seeing the dual booster landings.

EDIT:

https://spacenews.com/nasa-predicts-...n-as-december/
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 11-01-2022 at 11:27 AM.
    The Rules

Anyone catch the SLS launch? Liftoff was 2am last night so I missed it. With all SLS' problems, all the waste, politics, and lack of innovation, I do love seeing NASA launch a Big Ass Rocket again.

https://www.space.com/nasa-artemis-1...mission-launch

https://www.space.com/artemis-1-orio...t-photos-earth

In other news, SpaceX did a 14 engine static fire with Super Heavy. Apparently the engine thrust tore up the launch pad a bit - flying bits of concrete - and that's just 40% of the rocket's power. That's not good. I'm really interested to see that thing take off - and eventually land! And take off AGAIN. So cool.
    The Rules

I'd bet my left nut it happens within 2 years.
    8 months remaining and counting...
    Last edited by Being; 12-14-2022 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    8 months remaining and counting...
    They are talking February now for the first Starship/Super Heavy orbital flight. Sounds like they're not going to try a landing, though. Assuming it doesn't blow up on the pad and wreck the launch site, I'd think the follow-up flight would be sooner than later. Fingers crossed...
    The Rules

So that SpaceX Super Heavy launch was cool. Love how it DESTROYED the launch pad, lol. I feel like I learn way more watching SpaceX do their thing. For example, they SHOW you why big rocket launches pour tons of water underneath the rocket when it lights up. I wonder how many iterations they'll shoot off before they get a rocket they can send cargo to orbit with. The next one will probably go orbital and the new launch pad won't get chewed up. But they have to figure out how to land these things before they pay off. And then after that, how to rapidly re-use a giant 33 engine rocket... big job big payoff.
    The Rules

Yeah, but you only have 4 months remaining.

So, Starship is a ponzi scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    So, Starship is a ponzi scheme?
    What?

Been watching them rebuild the launch pad. They are busy little bees - lots of work speedy quick. Can't wait for the next launch with the hot stage separation. That booster's going to blow up first time around I'm betting.
    The Rules

What?
    I was just trying to get your attention. There is not much chance of Starship making it to orbit by mid August, let alone landing back on Earth after it reaches orbit. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of nuts but, would you consider donating $100 to St. Jude, in my name, in place of your left nut?

I'll need your snail mail address to send you my beloved nut.
    The Rules

I'll need your snail mail address to send you my beloved nut.

Being, Human
    1100 South Ocean Boulevard
    Palm Beach, Fl 33480

Thank You!

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02460-5

Black holes... black holes everywhere

Starship made it just past stage separation this time. Was a pretty incredible site that big ass rocket, the cones of exhaust, violet color.
    The Rules