Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: What's NASA Up To And Other Space Stuff

I really think we have a lot to learn about the true nature of the universe. Just the things the JWST has been observing strongly suggest there's something we totally don't get. I love it.

First private company landed on the moon yesterday (or was it this morning?). Also the first US landing since 1972 when Apollo last went... cool beans, hope the pics are good.

I have really liked For All Mankind, the alternate history story starting with the Soviets getting to the Moon first. The premise is if the Soviets hadn't given up on the space race, the cold war competition would have kept space tech developing at that 1960s pace and by the early 00s we would have had a Mars base. Okay, that's fun. They do a pretty nice job with the science, great characters and stories. Everyone should watch it.

Looking forward to the 3rd attempt to get Starship into orbit. Big. Ass. Rocket. I love that too. If they get it working as a fully reusable launch vehicle capable of lofting 200 tons to orbit, it will change everything.

I finally read Rendezvous with Rama. Pretty good book, a little dated socially and some science was off. Decided not, for the time being, to read the sequels -- I noticed Clarke took on a writing partner for those and I usually don't like books with two (or more) authors. The reader ratings weren't great either. If anyone knows differently, advise me.

I have very low optimism for the future of our species. I think we are literally incapable of saving ourselves/ creating a civilization that can sustain itself very much longer. I go back and forth whether I'd like to be alive for the swift decline or not.

We may not even be here.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

For a series with two writers that has done exceptionally well, see The Expanse
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    For a series with two writers that has done exceptionally well, see The Expanse
    Caught it all on audio book. Loved it. And fair enough. Most things have exceptions.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Caught it all on audio book. Loved it. And fair enough. Most things have exceptions.
    The show is probably one of the best adaptations I've ever seen, and it gets better for every season

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    The show is probably one of the best adaptations I've ever seen, and it gets better for every season
    Totally agree - watched the show before I listened to the books. Excellent television.
    The Rules

The Starship/ Super Heavy Launch #3 was very flipping cool. Cameras showed the hot stage separation, the booster's descent, the Starship glowing with plasma in the upper atmosphere. Really awesome.
    The Rules

I don't think I was aware that the issue could basically have a software fix. I assumed any number of physical breakdowns could have occurred. Amazing.

Voyager: God, what is it gonna TAKE to dodge these micromanagers?!?!
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Potential signs of life detected in the atmosphere of K2-18b by James Webb.

https://www.ndtv.com/science/most-pr...s-webb-5537035

The presence of DMS in K2-18b's atmosphere would be a significant discovery, although Dr Nikku Madhusudhan, the study's lead astrophysicist from Cambridge, cautions against jumping to conclusions. While preliminary data from JWST suggests a high probability (over 50%) of DMS presence, further analysis is needed. The telescope will dedicate eight hours of observation this Friday, followed by months of data processing before a definitive answer can be reached.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come