Thread: Have you gotten your bonus yet?

Default Have you gotten your bonus yet?

Bank watchdogs nabbed big bonuses too

AP: Payroll data is evidence of regulator complacency during financial boom

<Cartoons> *Margin ad title left in place, because its irony is so loony tunes funny*

By Matt Apuzzo

updated 9:14 a.m. ET, Thurs., March. 18, 2010

WASHINGTON - Banks weren't the only ones giving big bonuses in the boom years before the worst financial crisis in generations. The government also was handing out millions of dollars to bank regulators, rewarding "superior" work even as an avalanche of risky mortgages helped create the meltdown.

The payments, detailed in payroll data released to The Associated Press under the Freedom of Information Act, are the latest evidence of the government's false sense of security during the go-go days of the financial boom.

Just as bank executives got bonuses despite taking on dangerous amounts of risk, regulators got taxpayer-funded bonuses despite missing or ignoring signs that the system was on the verge of a meltdown.

The bonuses were part of a reward program little known outside the government. Some government regulators got tens of thousands of dollars in perks, boosting their salaries by almost 25 percent. Often, though, rewards amounted to just a few hundred dollars for employees who came up with good ideas.

During the 2003-06 boom, the three agencies that supervise most U.S. banks — the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., the Office of Thrift Supervision and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency — gave out at least $19 million in bonuses, records show.

Nearly all that money was spent recognizing "superior" performance. The largest share, more than $8.4 million, went to financial examiners, those employees and managers who scrutinize internal bank documents and sound the first alarms. Analysts, auditors, economists and criminal investigators also got awards.

Surveying the wreckage
    After the meltdown, the government's internal investigators surveyed the wreckage of nearly 200 failed banks and repeatedly found that those regulators had not done enough.

Regulators says it's unfair to use those missteps, seen with the benefit of hindsight, to suggest any of the bonuses was improper.

"These are meant to motivate employees, have them work hard," thrift office spokesman William Ruberry said. "The economy has taken a downturn in recent years. I'm not sure that negates the hard work or good ideas of our employees."

At the OCC, spokesman Kevin Mukri noted that the national banks his agencies regulate generally fared better than others during the financial crisis.

"In making compensation decisions, the OCC is mindful of the need to recruit and retain the very best people, and our merit system is aimed at accomplishing that," Mukri said. "We also believe it is important to reward those who worked so hard and showed such great professionalism throughout the crisis."

David Barr, a spokesman for the FDIC, which handed out two-thirds of the bonuses during the boom, had no comment.

In government, as on Wall Street, bonuses are part of the culture. Federal employees can get extra pay for innovative ideas, recruiting new talent or performing exceptional work. Candidates being considered for hard-to-fill jobs may be offered student loan reimbursement or cash bonuses to get them in the door and keep them from leaving.

$41,000 recruitment bonus
    The bonus data released to the AP does not say specifically why each person received a bonus. For instance, one person in the OCC's financial examining division got a $41,000 recruitment bonus on top of a $179,000 salary in 2005. In 2006, the last boom year for banks buying risky mortgages, the FDIC gave out more than 2,000 bonuses to financial examiners.

CLICK FOR RELATED CONTENT
    'Liar's Poker' author predicts war on Wall St.
    BofA boss admits bank made missteps in crisis
    Bankers winning financial reform battle
    In 2008, the year the market collapsed, OTS gave 96 financial examiners bonuses of up to $3,000 for exceptional work.

At the three regulatory agencies, the value of the bonuses stayed roughly constant from before the banking boom, through the good times and into the collapse. While the total pales in comparison with the billions spent on Wall Street perks, the justification was similar.

"Bonuses were determined based upon the performance and the retention of the people," said John Thain, the former CEO of Merrill Lynch, the troubled brokerage firm that paid out $3.6 billion in bonuses just before selling itself to Bank of America. "And there is nothing that happened in the world or the economy that would make you say that those were not the right thing to do for the retention and the reward of the people who were performing."

Liar's Poker margin also made me chuckle, but in a disgruntled way.

Have you gotten your retention/recruitment/work hard/do the right thing/motivational bonus yet?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Liar's Poker margin also made me chuckle, but in a disgruntled way.

Have you gotten your retention/recruitment/work hard/do the right thing/motivational bonus yet?
    Both me and my spouse have...

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Both me and my spouse have...
    Did you fail to do your job, but were rewarded, like the people in the article?

Well no...both of us are in jobs that monitors performance and rewards it...go figure...

Mine is by department (we surpassed our metrics) and then cross referenced with a personal evaluation score from my boss (a neat little equation) ...and for my spouse his is done monthly by direct performance of his stores' budgeted numbers...believe it or not, people buy clothes during a recession.

They also go to movies and eat at certain restaurants. Recessions don't mean people totally shut down, they just shift behavior.

The point was that these officials, on tax payers' salaries, might have "monitored" but didn't anticipate problems or sound any alarms. Business as usual. The whole mess was melting down around them, and they walked away with bonii.

I have the same beef with Greenspan, Geithner, Bernanke, Paulson, Dodd, Frank ly...the whole Lott. If the experts got it all wrong, then why are they highly paid experts? I think we should expect better. From CEOs to legislators. Otherwise, just put me in charge for a year or two. I can run the whole damn thing to the ground just as well, and for a lower salary or bonus.

They also go to movies and eat at certain restaurants. Recessions don't mean people totally shut down, they just shift behavior.
    ...and they also buy jewelery. I gave myself a decent bonus at Xmas.
    I may deserve another one here real soon, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    So that's where the new camera came from. Gonna get some new glass with the next bonus?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    You work hard for your money (doop, de doo) So hard for your money....

But if you fucked up a bunch of stuff, you wouldn't expect to be rewarded, would you? That would be like you giving a huge tip, on top of full payment, to the crackpots that messed up your windows and caulking (doop, de doo)

I got an office, that you took offense towards, does that count?

As a government employee, I've never gotten a straight cash bonus.

Got my first ever full bonus, paid in my monthly salary today, and it was fairly small as it is based primarily on company performance, which was a lower than average due to recession. All banks are cutting back on bonuses.

However, we had a memo last month sent to all staff, instructing us that bonuses are no longer called bonuses, but 'variable pay'. It seems the word bonus has become taboo if you work for a bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

This is what US capitalism is about: Rewarding failure.
    This is why many companies are failing: They want a reward.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Right. That's it. I'm calling the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

If by "bonus" you mean 10% pay cut, minus one week of paid vacation, and doubled work load due to layoffs, then yes, I've received more bonus that I know what to do with.

Yeah I have, nothing that's really substantial, but it's always a nice extra at the end of the year.
    Congratulations America

FDIC isn't totally a government organization, it's a a federal corporation so it's not subject to government payscales. But it's interesting that people can complain about some quasi-government employees getting a few hundred dollars, when other government employees get lifetime pay packages that are bankrupting us.

Also, seriously, this is more of a debate and discussion...unless there was a reason this was put in the general chat, I'll just put it over there...

Got my bonus...

Honestly the idea that "bonus" is a bad word is stupid. You get a bonus for doing something right, and then you get an extra bit more. Why call it a "bonus" if it is guaranteed? That would be compensation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/16/bu...morgan.html?hp
    JPMorgan had earmarked $26.9 billion to compensate its workers, much of which will be paid out as bonuses. That is up about 18 percent, with employees, on average, earning about $129,000.
    That's enough money to pay 18 space shuttle missions.

A bank said it owes the US taxpayer a "debt of gratitude"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8411875.stm

The average Wall Street bonus was more than $120,000
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8531036.stm

Goldman Sachs is on pace to set aside $22.3 billion for compensation last year, eclipsing the previous record $20.2 billion it set in 2007. Morgan Stanley is on pace to set aside $14.5 billion for 2009.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60I53X20100119

Together, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase and Morgan Stanley could pay 67 space shuttle missions with compensation money only.
    And in case you want your own space shuttle, with an average Wall Street bonus you could buy about 3 orbiters.

Space shuttles for sale: one careful owner, starting price $42m. Hard-up Nasa sounds out potential US buyers for two of three remaining shuttles when they stop flying in 2010
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...e-shuttle-sale

Quote Originally Posted by 2HD View Post
    If by "bonus" you mean 10% pay cut, minus one week of paid vacation, and doubled work load due to layoffs, then yes, I've received more bonus that I know what to do with.
    How do you dare to deny them their right to be rewarded for failure?
    They need to pay such a high bonuses to keep the talents that created this crisis. Else they may go elsewhere and create crisis anywhere.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.