View Poll Results: Which is real, people or money?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • People

2 20.00%
  • Money

2 20.00%
  • Both

6 60.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is real, people or money?

Default Which is real, people or money?

It's a stupid question with an obvious answer, but let's see what the poll says.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

You might be better off asking which is more important.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

People with the most money are the most valued. Followed by the people who make the income and tax rules. Then lobbyists and corporate lawyers, the ones who maneuver for monied interest.

Without money, I can't make it rain

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    You might be better off asking which is more important.
    Is importance real?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    People with the most money are the most valued. Followed by the people who make the income and tax rules. Then lobbyists and corporate lawyers, the ones who maneuver for monied interest.
    Is value real?

Quote Originally Posted by Knux897 View Post
    Without money, I can't make it rain
    Have you tried?

I'm confused then. Is this a stoner thread?

Of course money has a value, and value is real. Just because it's relative doesn't make it non-existent.....

I'm confused then. Is this a stoner thread?

Of course money has a value, and value is real. Just because it's relative doesn't make it non-existent.....
    This is not a stoner thread. Value is ostensible. Are people?

Can you maybe post something longer than one sentence that doesn't really say anything, Being? I don't understand what you want to talk about.

Can you maybe post something longer than one sentence that doesn't really say anything, Being? I don't understand what you want to talk about.
    Can something contrived be considered real?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Can something contrived be considered real?
    Sure. Why wouldn't it be REAL? I can trade you my pooka shell necklace for a bottle of rum, both have a value. If you really want my pooka shells more than your rum or think it's and equal value barter....

Is importance real?

Is value real?

Have you tried?
    Yes.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Yeah but aren't you a Solipsist, eyecandy? This thread could get really strange.

Sure. Why wouldn't it be REAL? I can trade you my pooka shell necklace for a bottle of rum, both have a value. If you really want my pooka shells more than your rum or think it's and equal value barter....
    Does the difference in value exist when the rum is gone?

Does the difference in value exist when the rum is gone?
    Depends on what I do with the rum. Maybe I use it to cook with, a little at a time, and others love my cooking and give me other things in exchange. Then I can get more rum, or move onto a rare fruit to put in recipes.

Or I could use it to sterilize my knife before I cut off that nasty growth on a guy's leg.

Just because it's eventually consumed doesn't mean it disappeared or isn't REAL. It takes a new form or shape, and new value.

I really don't know what you're asking though. Virtual value? Representative value?

Does my money in the bank mean it's not REAL just because it isn't really a little box with my name on it, holding coins and tangible things? I get a statement, representing what's in there. I can trade that around without having to use REAL coins.

Just like I'm pretty sure you PEOPLE are real, by reading what's typed. It represents a real person, even if I can't see or touch you. You could die and evaporate tomorrow, but that doesn't mean you weren't real.

"People" has a an obvious and generally accepted definition. In this community, "money" has several different generally accepted definitions. And "real", of course, can be interpreted in slightly different but meaningful ways depending on the context. So define your terms.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

If you remove the ability of money to be exchanged, world economy would be an online game, like Eve Online.
    ---------------------
    BBC: Billions stolen in online robbery:
    Space trading game Eve Online has suffered a virtual version of the credit crunch.

BBC: Money matters in Eve Online game :
    But the harsh realities of space commerce have not lead Dr Gudmundsson to embrace Eve style laissez-faire economics in the real world. "It has sharpened my view on neoclassical economics, at the same time I do see the faults of that system. Personally I am very fond of the Scandinavian model, a good combination of healthy competition whereas the government helps those in need."
    ---------------------

Money is no longer paper and coins, it is a magnetic signal.
    If your account had 3 extra zeros, you'd be 1000 times richer. This number is just a score, like in Pacman.
    People live and die, kill and get killed for just a concept.
    If you ever imagined to be trapped in a videogame where you are powerless to escape, welcome to world economy.

Does my money in the bank mean it's not REAL just because it isn't really a little box with my name on it, holding coins and tangible things? I get a statement, representing what's in there. I can trade that around without having to use REAL coins.

Just like I'm pretty sure you PEOPLE are real, by reading what's typed. It represents a real person, even if I can't see or touch you. You could die and evaporate tomorrow, but that doesn't mean you weren't real.
    Money isn't real anymore. It is quasimoney, its essence, which is only a concept. But even money has no value by itself. If you print lots of quasidollars, dollar value will fall, so your dollars become devaluated. There is no universal value since money can be created.

Money is an instrument of social control. If I have money, I can control society more than if I have no money. You could pay someone to kill and he will be under your control. A poor starved person may be willing to obey for a low wage since money is the obstacle between him and food at the supermarket.

Banks have become a monopoly that controls money supply.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Depends on what I do with the rum. Maybe I use it to cook with, a little at a time, and others love my cooking and give me other things in exchange. Then I can get more rum, or move onto a rare fruit to put in recipes.

Or I could use it to sterilize my knife before I cut off that nasty growth on a guy's leg.

Just because it's eventually consumed doesn't mean it disappeared or isn't REAL. It takes a new form or shape, and new value.

I really don't know what you're asking though. Virtual value? Representative value?

Value is relative, contrived, ostensible. Rum is real.

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    If you ever imagined to be trapped in a videogame where you are powerless to escape, welcome to world economy.
    Can't say that I have ever imagined that. Also wouldn't call that very representative of The World Economy.

I could be persuaded to imagine being the player, but that means I can exit, shut down, turn it off. Or play a different game. If I don't like virtual or digital, I can pull out a game board or deck of cards, things I hold in my hands and don't 'disappear' when I turn off the computer.

Is this thread about defining Real as only things we can see and touch....and only those things have value.....? That makes no sense. I'm positive there are billions of people "out there", even tho I've never seen or touched them.

edit to Being: rum is a real physical thing, but if I don't value it for anything, then it's just junk.

Yeah but aren't you a Solipsist, eyecandy? This thread could get really strange.
    No, I'm not. Nor am I a narcissist.
    The Rules

edit to Being: rum is a real physical thing, but if I don't value it for anything, then it's just junk.
    Now you're getting it; value is not real. Took you long enough.

Now you're getting it; value is not real. Took you long enough.

Value is Real. Seems what you're trying to say is that people often value their own money over valuing other people, unless they can make them more money. You could have just said so instead of turning this into a guessing game.

Value is Real.
    And then she steps back...

Value is contrived.

Can't say that I have ever imagined that. Also wouldn't call that very representative of The World Economy.

I could be persuaded to imagine being the player, but that means I can exit, shut down, turn it off. Or play a different game. If I don't like virtual or digital, I can pull out a game board or deck of cards, things I hold in my hands and don't 'disappear' when I turn off the computer.

Is this thread about defining Real as only things we can see and touch....and only those things have value.....? That makes no sense. I'm positive there are billions of people "out there", even tho I've never seen or touched them.

You never touch money. A credit card is not money, just a carrier. A bill or a coin are just a carrier too.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

And then she steps back...

Value is contrived.
    No, as LF said, you didn't define your terms. For all anyone could tell from reading this, maybe you wanted to talk about abortion, or welfare, or medicine, or war....

No, as LF said, you didn't define your terms. For all anyone could tell from reading this, maybe you wanted to talk about abortion, or welfare, or medicine, or war....
    To me it seems the question is self-defining; which is real, people or money? How many definitions of real can be applied to it?

Value is Real. Seems what you're trying to say is that people often value their own money over valuing other people, unless they can make them more money. You could have just said so instead of turning this into a guessing game.
    I think value is all in our heads, as a cultural collective. After all, wtf is so valuable about a diamond??? Oooh, sparkly.
    The Rules

To me it seems the question is self-defining; which is real, people or money? How many definitions of real can be applied to it?
    Are you less real because we're talking in a virtual medium?

Are you less valuable because your existence is only represented in this digital reality?

I thought you were on a rant about VALUE. Jesus man, just spit it out!

...Jesus man, just spit it out!
    This is not a pass or fail exercise. It is possible to pass but impossible to fail.

what? grrr, take that to the singles or doubles threads then (another thing I don't really understand....)

VALUE is not all in our heads. Diamonds are valuable because they're hard to mine, very hard to craft (just ask Bitter), and only the descriminating eye can tell if it's cubic zirconia (synthetic). Diamonds are used in special tools because they can cut glass and other materials, without being destroyed. ie they've been around 'forever' and last longer. Diamond dust is probably also valuable. At least it can be formed into another useful compound, unlike other fossil products that become pollution when burned....?

what? grrr, take that to the singles or doubles threads then (another thing I don't really understand....)

VALUE is not all in our heads. Diamonds are valuable because they're hard to mine, very hard to craft (just ask Bitter), and only the descriminating eye can tell if it's cubic zirconia (synthetic). Diamonds are used in special tools because they can cut glass and other materials, without being destroyed. ie they've been around 'forever' and last longer. Diamond dust is probably also valuable. At least it can be formed into another useful compound, unlike other fossil products that become pollution when burned....?
    No, this is a valid discussion. Value is only in our heads. If we don't exist does value?

Off topic -- Like OG said, diamonds are shiny.