Thread: Man vs Pac

Default Man vs Pac

It's a reference to the "big fight"....worth at least 100 million dollars to each participant, 400 million (+) to investors.

It's been touted as the most lucrative sport event in history....which attracts more viewers and bettors.

Does this boil down to athletic prowess, or sport propaganda for profit?

(My personal opinion is that boxing is no better than dog-fighting, and violence for its own sake isn't entertaining. But that's not how it's viewed by those buying tickets for the venue, or placing bets on the outcome.)

mayweather is making $180 mill, pacquiao is making $120 mill

This is Vegas' and boxing's swan song.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Are you saying those amounts of money are signaling the end of an era?

I never understood gambling, or the "fight club" mentality to begin with, so it's hard for me to figure out why so much money has been funneled there. I don't see how it's a swan song when so many millions are at stake....
    Last edited by GGT; 05-03-2015 at 12:10 AM.

boxing is dying, and MMA is so splintered that I doubt it will ever have a match or fighter reach levels comparable to mayweather or tyson before it putters out. Both mayweather and pacquiao are past their prime. this fight, and every penny they are squeezing out of it is like that last big birthday party you have before you realized you're getting to old for this shit.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

social media is exploding with people complaining about PPV fails. Some news outlets are blaming the numbers, 3 million ppv orders.

This seems like one of those events where people want to watch it just so they can say they watched the event not because they actually want to see it.
    Hope is the denial of reality

no doubt

PPV issues are so bad the fight has been delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    It's a reference to the "big fight"....worth at least 100 million dollars to each participant, 400 million (+) to investors.

It's been touted as the most lucrative sport event in history....which attracts more viewers and bettors.

Does this boil down to athletic prowess, or sport propaganda for profit?

(My personal opinion is that boxing is no better than dog-fighting, and violence for its own sake isn't entertaining. But that's not how it's viewed by those buying tickets for the venue, or placing bets on the outcome.)
    Not to be overly pedantic, but shouldn't the thread title be May vs. Pac?

So who's next for Mayweather? Mike Tyson? Muhammad Ali?

No real surprises. You could tell the crowd wanted a pac win, most online polls showed a 70/30 split, but betting people knew mayweather had all the right numbers. Defensive fighters aren't the most exciting to watch, but he ain't called money for nothing.

Did result in some gifs though, macros are already floating around

Don't like boxing, never have - and almost certainly never will. One "sport" I've never been able to get into. Boxing seems about as stage managed and fake as wrestling.

Given how popular this event was though I find it hard to understand claims boxing is dying. I've heard such claims for about 15 years or so (and probably would have before then if I was paying attention).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

This is entirely based on Mayweather's popularity and business acumen. Once he's done, I would expect that these kind of purses will be gone as well.

Surely if it's based on his acumen then once he's gone he can go into promotion or something and mentor or manage younger boxers for a slice of their purse.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

It took him decades of very hard work to build up his current persona. I can't see him doing the same for another boxer. Even if he does, it's still something that will take decades to provide the same impact.

There's always something to fill a vacuum.

When MMA hit its stride about 5-6 years ago boxing was already waning. MMA has done nothing but grow, and boxing has suffered tremendously because of it. Boxing peaked with Tyson, and while Holyfield and Lewis did keep it afloat they never drew the same crowds. Boxing as it is now has no star power, extremely fractured governing bodies, a declining pool of american talent, corruption all over the place, and with its current setup of the current "champion" deciding who and when to fight (this May vs Pac fight should have happened 5 years ago) its just not that interesting.

Mayflower has the skill, but the guy is a horrible person, which I believe is why a fight on American soil had a warmer reception for the foreign opponent. This fight was the pinnacle event of likely both fighters, boxing, and a good portion of how people will remember vegas.

The "something" to fill this vacuum won't be a new boxer, its going to be MMA, and thats a long ways off before those organizations get consolidated enough that everyone will agree on one champion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/04/sp...avyweight.html Not quite sure how any sane person goes into a sport where getting concussions (or worse) are pretty much expected in every fight, and probably in many training sessions.
    Last edited by Loki; 05-04-2015 at 01:10 PM.

I don't see what makes people enjoy watching that.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    There's always something to fill a vacuum.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I don't see what makes people enjoy watching that.
    Bloodlust?

But I do wonder if the "sport" won't continue (and the winnings grow) because it's considered so barbaric and socially unacceptable in modern times?

People are already thinking about, and investing in.....the next big fight, and the next winning fighter. For some strange reason that I haven't figured out, we still consider athletes that risk their brains and neuro-health as heroes, role models, and product-endorsers.

Muhammed Ali was cheered in the Olympic ceremonial torch-lighting, even though his infirmities were caused by his sport. And the NFL still has multi-million dollar contracts for short playing seasons, but fights long-term health care provisions and league safety at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Bloodlust?

But I do wonder if the "sport" won't continue (and the winnings grow) because it's considered so barbaric and socially unacceptable in modern times?

People are already thinking about, and investing in.....the next big fight, and the next winning fighter. For some strange reason that I haven't figured out, we still consider athletes that risk their brains and neuro-health as heroes, role models, and product-endorsers.

Muhammed Ali was cheered in the Olympic ceremonial torch-lighting, even though his infirmities were caused by his sport. And the NFL still has multi-million dollar contracts for short playing seasons, but fights long-term health care provisions and league safety at the same time.

socially unacceptable? No, I don't think sponsored fighting is anywhere near that point, and I doubt it ever will be. Different forms come and go, but society will likely always find some form of enjoyment when it comes to something thats so basic. Gladiators, WWE, MMA, boxing, etc. Its not going away.

Everyone knows the risks of boxing at this point, even if the sport still has some very shady ways of getting in to it. The NFL is whole other thing, there was a lot of denial concerning the risk of playing football, and that has only recently begun to change.

Well, I agree that people "enjoying" violence in sports isn't going away any time soon. I just wonder if organized sports will push to call that Athletics, and funnel money to amateur programs in schools (with "Athletic Scholarships"), or cities asking for tax-pay money to pay for new "Sports" stadiums....instead of deeming it more appropriately as Entertainment.

Civil law suits are coming out like gangbusters.

As long as participants are willing - its on them. Freedom means having the freedom to do dangerous things.