Thread: This is for real

The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I feel like Hitler ruined a whole mustache style and the name "Adolph" in the Anglophone world. That itself is a pretty big mal-accomplishment. I mean, it's not like Stalin ruined the name "Joseph".

That's an interesting observation. It probably has something to do with Jesus' step dad... you can't demonize that name. Also, reality aside, Stalin was one of the "good guys" in WW2.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I feel like Hitler ruined a whole mustache style and the name "Adolph" in the Anglophone world.
    Not only in the Anglophone world, in German as well. It is rarely seen in Switzerland, but here we call those guys "Dölf" and not Adolf.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    That's an interesting observation. It probably has something to do with Jesus' step dad... you can't demonize that name. Also, reality aside, Stalin was one of the "good guys" in WW2.
    Hitler is inextricably linked with Nazism in both popular perception and in reality, which isn't true of Stalin & communism.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Plus Joseph is a much more common name than Adolf (And I think always has been). And we were occupied by Adolf here, never been in an actual war with Joseph, and his regime lasted beyond his person. USSR was mostly our enemy during the cold war, and Stalin died fairly quickly in that. All the previous purges, suppression, etc., is all a bit far away from us. Nazism actually directly affected us here, with Adolf as the personification.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Think anyone calls their kid Joseph in Ukraine?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

I have no clue. But if the name is spoiled anywhere it's likely to be in the former Soviet union.

I also just realised I honestly don't know any (in)famous Adolfs besides Hitler while there are tonnes of famous Josephs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I also just realised I honestly don't know any (in)famous Adolfs besides Hitler while there are tonnes of famous Josephs.
    Google is your friend, if you type in Adolf, it gives you a suggestion list of famous Adolfs. Or Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf

Obviously I know our former President Adolf Ogi

Rulers who kill the people of other countries are usually judged far more harshly than ones who kill only their own. Oddly enough, that applies even within those countries.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Google is your friend, if you type in Adolf, it gives you a suggestion list of famous Adolfs. Or Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf

Obviously I know our former President Adolf Ogi
    I didn't doubt there are, but there's fewer, and how many of those did you know without looking it up?

Honestly I only knew Ogi and Adolf Muschg.

That said, Ogi is really one of the most known former ministers of Switzerland here. I also don't know many Josephs either.

Hmm actually struggling to find many famous Josephs.. There's the biblical one of course, and the anti communist Mccarthy, gordon-levitt, I think Goebbels as well but that isn't really good for the name I suppose.. isn't Biden called Joseph as well?

I haven't heard of either of the two you mentioned, but looking at the list I should have thought of Dassler.

Yeah, I always put on my Adolfs for running.

Hitler ruined in a few years the Buddhist svastika that had been used for centuries.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.