Thread: Online News Outlets

Default Online News Outlets

What online news outlets do folk here tune into for their daily dose of doom and gloom?

Am growing increasingly tired of the bias presented by the various UK-centric sites I visit regularly.

Also wouldn't mind a more international approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

BBC for breadth of coverage. NY Times for in-depth coverage. Monkey Cage (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage) and occasionally 538 (http://fivethirtyeight.com) for analysis.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Tim, daily news is pretty much the same in most English language sources - a pastiche of AP or Reuters stories lightly edited for the local audience. There's only a handful of real news outlets that still do their own reporting, and outside the biggest English language countries, their coverage tends to be far too parochial to be useful to a non-local. So honestly you can read about anything. I agree that UK papers tend to be more overt in their editorializing in their 'news' stories than I am comfortable with, but the WSJ and NYT also have their flaws (and are behind paywalls). I've found that for basic news you can use anything - BBC is just fine, as is Google News or any other paper. For more than the surface, you'll need a broadsheet like WSJ or NYT but you'll generally need to deal with an editorial slant. Not much you can do about it.

I do think, however, that Loki's right to mention the value of some blogs. I've found that a handful of websites really do have some good blogs that dig a bit more into stories - WPost has a number (as Loki highlighted, though I enjoy Volokh Conspiracy) as do others. The only problem is that the blogs generally don't have a broad remit, but rather focus on a single (sometimes ill-defined) topic. That's great if it's what you're looking for, but not so great for a more omnivorous read. I honestly don't have a good solution for this. I just keep reading and sampling, and bookmark stuff that routinely keeps me interested.

Try wsj.com. If you try via Google News you'll get a few free articles before you need to actually subscribe. But a subscription brings you a lot of in-depth stuff that honestly doesn't really appear in many other places.

From what I've read (by traditional news sources) the current generation isn't using "on-line news outlets" to get their information. Instead, they're using social media links that may not have full journalistic vetting.

Makes sense, I suppose, since so many western young men are seeing online propaganda, and 'joining' radical jihad terrorist movements that are so brutal or suicidal they can't possibly come from reading "all" the news....

I'm more interested in the quality of the data or analysis than in the bias. Even an idiot can parrot their party's talking points.

Bias plays a part in deciding what data and analysis you get to see.

I'm growing increasingly distrustful of the media, and something like the above lets me have more confidence that I'm not just being fooled because I don't have the time or resources to investigate everything myself.

It also lets me pick and choose articles to conform to my confirmation biases, which is great too.

Everything is biased. Some info is more biased than others, but that's usually easy to spot. Furthermore, the main bias in the news isn't ideological. It's a bias towards reinforcing certain narratives, towards information that's interesting, inoffensive, etc.