Thread: What a Country!

Default What a Country!

I had to think about whether this merits General Chat or actual Discussion. Is North Korea more frightening than it is comical? - only if you remind yourself there are millions of real people living there and of the country's several semi-successful nuclear tests. If I had to choose between N. Korea having nuclear arms or Iran, I'm not sure which way I'd go. On the one hand Iran is likely to leverage nuclear weapons to get a freer hand for meddling around in the Middle East, which it already does quite a lot. But on the other hand, North Korea seems more likely to actually nuke somebody, maybe without much provocation.

Anyway, I truly LOVE the method of execution described below. These guys, I swear. Wow.

North Korea Executes Its Defense Chief With Anti-Aircraft Guns

Just days after grabbing international attention for reportedly testing a submarine-fired ballistic missile, North Korea executed its defense chief on the order of dictator Kim Jong Un. That's according to South Korea's spy agency, which briefed Seoul's lawmakers on the development Wednesday.

The execution reportedly took place in public, with hundreds of onlookers watching as Hyon Yong Chol was killed by firing squad, using anti-aircraft guns. The reported offense? Falling asleep during a meeting and showing disrespect to Kim.

Hyon has represented North Korea in meetings abroad, most recently with a trip to Russia in April. Kim has yet to leave the country since coming to power following his father's death in 2011.

This move is the latest in a series of leadership changes — and purges — since the younger Kim has taken charge. South Korea's spies said 15 officials were executed last month. And in a notable move shortly after becoming North Korea's absolute ruler, Kim ordered the execution of his uncle, who had amassed loyalty among North Korea's top brass during the leadership of Kim's father, Kim Jong Il.

<snip>
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w..._campaign=news
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

That would make a bit of a ... splat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

It's like teenagers are in charge, LOL. Next they'll be strapping people to rockets and shooting them over Japan or something.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

This is the first time you read that type of news about NK? It's pretty run of the mill there.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    This is the first time you read that type of news about NK? It's pretty run of the mill there.
    What do you mean?
    The Rules

This is how they execute high-level officials.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    This is how they execute high-level officials.
    With AA guns? Like, it's policy??? Huh. I wonder if they want to give the impression that it takes more than an ordinary gun to kill a high level N. Korean official? Like, they are nearly superheroes so you really have to blast them to get the job done. It's still fucking hilarious.
    The Rules

They want to erase them from existence.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I wonder if they 'used' any convicts for their nuclear tests.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Strap 'em to the bomb, sort of thing ... ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Brent Snowcroft used to have a habit of falling asleep in National Security Council meetings in the GW Bush administration. Bush just created a "Snowcroft" award for falling asleep in meetings to tease him.

I feel these two nations on opposite ends of the "oppression" spectrum are both mishandling government officials who fall asleep in meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Brent Snowcroft used to have a habit of falling asleep in National Security Council meetings in the GW Bush administration. Bush just created a "Snowcroft" award for falling asleep in meetings to tease him.

I feel these two nations on opposite ends of the "oppression" spectrum are both mishandling government officials who fall asleep in meetings.
    LOL. Keep in mind the GW administration was pretty fucked up, esp with issues of national security. Also, my assumption was the meeting catnap wasn't the real reason that NK guy got executed...
    The Rules