Thread: Advice on monitors, projectors, audio etc

Default Advice on monitors, projectors, audio etc

Question 1: To those of you who've tried both, how do you feel about a dual monitor setup vs using a single ultrawide or just very large 4K monitor?

Since we're moving in to our new place soon I thought I'd take the opportunity to make some changes to my computer stuff as well. I don't play things much more taxing than GW2 but will want to use eg oculus when it comes out. Mostly I'll be using it for surfing, watching movies and working with multiple documents open at once.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Dual monitor ultrawides?

Your monitor won't matter with the oculus. GW2's support of larger resolutions is historically terrible. There are very few movies and shows that can make use of 4k or ultrawides so far, although that may change in the future. Based on these things, I think you might be better off with a cheaper dual monitor setup.

Are you going to really use an Oculus to surf the Web?

I couldn't deal with the bezels in a dual monitor setup. I'm nit picky enough to notice that the screens never lined up perfectly and having the action split right down the middle really took away from the gaming. I went with triple 23" 1080p monitors. Takes a good bit of horsepower to hit 60fps in newer games. My 970GTX is in the high 30s in shadow of mordor at 5760x1080. You can pick up 3 23" IPS monitors for the price of a single 4k monitor, so it really comes down to desk space.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Thanks for the input guys. Considering getting this for myself:

LG 34UM95 34" UltraWide Widescreen 21:9 Monitor - http://youtu.be/KnrxNfxRK_4

And this 40 inch 4k monitor from philips to use as a "TV": http://youtu.be/AxVe-tYiv2E

This would allow me to replace the crappy monitor I have at work with the one I currently use at home. All options are far pricier than I have previously allowed myself to consider in the gadget and tech dept so I may reconsider or buy one at a time. This would also mean no laptop, although it's possible I won't really need a new laptop for a while yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Considering getting this for myself:

LG 34UM95 34" UltraWide Widescreen 21:9 Monitor - http://youtu.be/KnrxNfxRK_4
    I got this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcaktV1iiGk

Brilliant monitor. I would consider getting the curved one!
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Yeah I was pretty keen on the curved one, but it is considerably more expensive than the flat one on which I can hopefully get a pretty good deal and I have a long list of expensive things to pay for this summer >_< even this one may not be the best priority so I'm giving myself some time to think about it first

Fair enough. I got a good deal for the curved one from a local online shop.

I suppose the picture is as brilliant on the flat one.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

The monitor is fricking fantastic but the graphics card I bought (see other thread) was a mistake. Turns out I need displayport or HDMI 2.0 to get the most out of this monitor (max resolution at at least 60Hz) and the card only has HDMI 1.4x. mHDMI. Such a pain in the ass... nvidia has a workaround for enabling 4K video at something close to 60 by using chroma subsampling but it's not exactly optimal. So far I haven't been bothered too much by this but who knows what the future will bring

Anyway the monitor is freakish and unsettling but awesome for both productivity and video, esp. movies in 21:9. There's def. a noticeable difference between HD and UHD. GW2 looks pretty good too