Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Witcher III: Wild Hunt

Default Witcher III: Wild Hunt

Sitting at 30fps with nearly everything set to High at 5760x1080. Something seems to be goofy with the sound (its way to low), but it hasn't crashed on me yet.

I'm going on an adventure!

Click to view the full version Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Killing monsters is cool. Knocking out racist guards is cool. Having a drunk, racist, arsonist hung cause of a speech choice kinda made me sad. Well done developers.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

How's the interface? I just started on Witcher 2 and one of the few complaints I have is that the interface was obviously designed for consoles + controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    How's the interface? I just started on Witcher 2 and one of the few complaints I have is that the interface was obviously designed for consoles + controllers.
    It works and the game uses a lot of key bindings. tab to select spells, q to use spells, r/f to eat/drink, swords tied to numbers, c to put weapons away, x for your horse, ctrl to jog, shift to run. I'm gonna have to print out a cheat sheet sooner or later. those are just the ones i've memorized so far. The on screen interface has 2 options, large for consoles and TVs and small for monitors. I use small. All the cutscenes are 1080p for my setup, and there are a lot so far, so even if they are being rendered in game, they aren't using my native resolution. You can also tell the game how close to the edge of your monitor you want the interface to appear, another carry over from consoles, but it does not allow me to push the interface items off my first monitor. Only found one text box so far that appears mispositioned and split across my monitors, the betting box before a game of gwent.

Only clunkiness I've found so far is when riding, horse response is slow and I swear the left and right are reversed for some reason.

Game has glitched on me once so far.
    Spoiler:
    Bar fight for the end of chapter 1, for some reason my character drew his sword, I swung before I hit the key to put it away so I could play at a fist fight. As soon as I swung all the people I was about to fight died and my game jumped to a cutscene of me cutting someone's head off. Also got an achievement for beating so many enemies so quickly.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-20-2015 at 12:20 AM.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Nice game so far. The issue I'm having with the interface that it's not always completely clear which item you're currently selling/buying/modifying.

Which reminds me: Due to my recent purchase of a GeForce 970, I am now in possession of a voucher for The Witcher III. I'd be willing to exchange that voucher for another game in the ~22+€ price range (e.g. Satellite Reign, Darkest Dungeon or Hand of Fate).
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Got my first lay

Click to view the full version

Who then cast a sleeping spell on me and likely ran off to occupy the tower I recently cleared out. Shall investigate tomorrow.

So... how many games involve evil discarded fetus monsters?

that you then turn into spirits that help you hunt down their lost mama?

Discarded fetuses played a big part in South park the stick of truth IIRC
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

gAMES GOOD? wORTH FULL PRICE PURCHASE?

edit: soz - new keyboard

edit 2: Meh just watched/read a load of reviews. They're all glowing. Had to purchase. Even at £49.99
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 05-23-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

It's indeed good. But I still have this voucher, Timbuk

wtf - what's it worth ?

edit: ah just saw your post up there. Have nothing to exchange it with
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

You do know that you can buy Steam games as a gift for just such exchanges?

Its the little things that make this game, I just watched this guy bang his thumb when trying to hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Which reminds me: Due to my recent purchase of a GeForce 970, I am now in possession of a voucher for The Witcher III. I'd be willing to exchange that voucher for another game in the ~22+€ price range (e.g. Satellite Reign, Darkest Dungeon or Hand of Fate).
    If nobody else is going to take it, I will. Was going to buy it eventually, just won't have time for it for a few more months, and this is about the discounted price I was expecting anyways.

Great!

Some pieces of advice, for later:
    - Don't sell your starting armor - you can upgrade that one a bit later.
    - Don't be put off by a lot of "Reagents missing" for a lot of receipes you find. That'll change.
    - Try to steal absolutely everything - true to Open World RPGs you'll find reagents (and expensive ones!) in the most asinine places. Plus, it'll help with the early funding problems.
    - Using a place of power for the first time gives you an additional character point. This means 6 easy points in the first chapter of the game.
    - If a part of the main quest doesn't give you enough information to go on, just switch to the other part of the main quest for a while. You'll know what I mean.
    - Eat everything. Also: No food can be cooked. Yes, that means raw wolf liver will be your main fare in the beginning.
    - Use the potions and bombs liberally. They'll be replenished automatically whenever you rest, you just need alcohol.
    - Sword oils aren't used up. Use them liberally as well and go into the inventory even during a fight to re-apply them.

The last two ones would be my only real gripes with the game: It's a bit annoying to switch bombs mid-fight because you can only put two of the into quick-access. Same goes for the potions. And there's no indicator how many charges are left for the sword oils.

And one annoyance where I'm not sure if it isn't a bug - sometimes Gerald will change out signs. So, I just threw a bomb which creates an explosive gas cloud and want to explode it with Igni (Fire sign). Only to discover that it isn't Igni any more but Irden (Trap sign).

And swimming underwater is a pain

You listed three games you wanted for trade. Which do you want most?

Well, the most attractive one would be Satellite Reign, but I'm also attracted by Hand of Fate. Darkest Dungeon would be third.

I'll leave the final decision up to you - I'll be content either way.

Looks good, any need for have played the previous titles?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Not really. Though you'll have more information as to what's going on.

Another word of warning: The designers had absolutely no compunction for creating "levelling areas". This just happened to me: My level 12 Witcher made short work of several low-level bandit camps in the area and then decided to scout out a nearby guarded treasure. Well, this particular treasure was guarded by a level 23 Water Hag which made equally short work of me.

Just looked up the other 2 titles. They are not rated as open world RPGs, so what is their style of play?

I haven't played a RPG for really long. Last one was DSA Drakensangm but I never really got into that one. So it is mostly Gothic 2 & 3 I enjoyed.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Just looked up the other 2 titles. They are not rated as open world RPGs, so what is their style of play?

I haven't played a RPG for really long. Last one was DSA Drakensangm but I never really got into that one. So it is mostly Gothic 2 & 3 I enjoyed.
    Well, they're a bit more restricted than the Gothic titles but not very much so. The combat style changed quite a bit, though, over the course of the games. The first one reminded me rather of CRPGs like Diablo, the second one changed it a bit and the quite extensive semi-official combat mod made it much more like the 3rd one.

So, I was annoyed that my horse never was were I had left it. During a quest in Vizima it hit me: The bloody horse would always stand at a fodder rack. Which meant that... yes, the horse always wandered off towards the nearest source of food, bet that grass or hay.

Nice attention to details.

Are all horses this weak-willed?

Horse Races

If you haven't heard, we race horses around here. If you want to join in, come talk to me, I'll fill you in on how it works. But I'll tell you right now you gotta pay an entry fee to race, so if you're skint, fuck off.

- Radko

Note on the town message board in Crow's Perch, Velen.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    The first one reminded me rather of CRPGs like Diablo, the second one changed it a bit and the quite extensive semi-official combat mod made it much more like the 3rd one.
    Playing through 2 right now. Are there any other mods I should be picking up for a first (and probably only) playthrough?

Also - still have that free copy of 2 if anyone wants.

Naw, you're good with the combat mod.

Though I might reinstall the damn thing because Witcher 3 doesn't recognize my saves from game number 2. Plus, I kind of f'ed up on a quest regarding Gwent. Oh, well.

Won't do any different choices on certain quests, though. Nothing better than knowing that you might be singlehandedly responsible for the downfall of a city

I just call the horse with X when I need him, it is rather annoying how he always comes into play behind me, making me wait, but I at least don't have to track him down. He has popped up in some interesting places too, seems to like loading INSIDE homes when I use the X key :\

And just how bad are things going for these NPCs, that you end up fighting people that are stripped down to their fucking underwear? The first couple of times I thought maybe it forgot to load a few images, but nope here is one in a cutscene.

Game isn't being very subtitle with the ending either, the old friends im saving/helping are all going to my old digs.

I noticed two rabbits humping in the background during one forest cutscene.

~

Can't get screenshots to work though. Steam's usual F12 doesn't do its thing, and there's no keybind option.

Weird, F12 works for me.

I have the GOG version that I launch through steam, no issue with the F12 button working for screenshots.