Thread: Smartphone advice

Default Smartphone advice

So, my mum wants to get a smartphone. She's currently still using a Nokia 3210 She wants something relatively cheap, easy to use, and responsive. Mostly to use whatsapp, other than that maybe some browsing, and weather and public transport apps, maybe Google maps, stuff like that. Now I have always used pretty high end stuff, so I was wondering if any of you could recommend some of the cheaper ones?

I'd say the most important bit is that it's responsive, if it doesn't text properly or slow (so she accidentally presses something twice, stuff like that) it would annoy her. Battery life would be a plus, though she's probably not getting mobile Internet and will just use wifi so it won't drain the battery as fast as I do with my phone usage
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

If she is coming from a dumb phone, its a great time to start with a Windows phone I have no complaints about my Nokia 521, which you can find for like $50 new. But I'm doubtful its going to get the new Windows OS. It only has 512mb of ram.

Brandy's Lumia 640 is amazing for $100 - $130 new. Snappy, Windows 8.1 (and 10 in not to long), 8gb memory, 1gb ram, 720p 5" screen, front and rear cameras. Easily the best bang for your buck. She enjoys the simplicity of Windows over Android, and even my mom was able to figure it out without much hassle. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia640/

Both phones have battery saver options built in, like automatically adjusting the screen brightness to the current conditions. My phone will go a day without issue with plenty of texting, gentle calling, browsing and scrabble play, and Brandy's will go about 3. Cortona is a hoot to play around with to, and the Here+ GPS maps haven't failed me yet.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I recently bought an old version (but new phone) of a Motorola Moto G. It does everything it's supposed to. If I don't talk much, it lasts a week between charges. And it only cost $200 (without any discounts).
    Hope is the denial of reality

I've got a Samsung ATIV Windows Phone, it works well and hits all the points that you mentioned. Battery life is a bit more than a week for me.

I hope soon you'll find the same joy I've found in discovering that droid phones belonging to non-tech savy folks are virus magnets.

Thanks for the tips! She does have a little experience with android though (tablet, but she doesn't use it much) and is decent with computers so I'm not that worried about that part. But as long as it runs whatsapp it's good. She really likes the idea of group apps for get togethers, golfing with her friends, etc. Let's just hope her groups will have fewer NSFW stuff sent around than mine

Install AVG/avast the day she gets it.

Will do Though I do visit the occasional dodgy site and have never had a virus or anything (as far as I know, I have BitDefender free). How exactly does one attract viruses or malware?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Will do Though I do visit the occasional dodgy site and have never had a virus or anything (as far as I know, I have BitDefender free). How exactly does one attract viruses or malware?
    I wish I knew the answer to that question. I've decided that viruses are semi-sentient, and know to head towards the people who would be most incapable of dealing with them.

So, my mum wants to get a smartphone. She's currently still using a Nokia 3210 She wants something relatively cheap, easy to use, and responsive. Mostly to use whatsapp, other than that maybe some browsing, and weather and public transport apps, maybe Google maps, stuff like that. Now I have always used pretty high end stuff, so I was wondering if any of you could recommend some of the cheaper ones?

I'd say the most important bit is that it's responsive, if it doesn't text properly or slow (so she accidentally presses something twice, stuff like that) it would annoy her. Battery life would be a plus, though she's probably not getting mobile Internet and will just use wifi so it won't drain the battery as fast as I do with my phone usage
    Actually I don't think your mother should go with 'a cheaper' model unless that 'cheaper' model is the flagship of a manufacturer like LG or Huawei.

Cheap smartphones work nicely for like the 3 nano seconds before you start actually using them and download apps. Since your mother probably lives in the Netherlands I would advise you to look at Vodafone, as they tend to have quite good deals with phones these days. If the Iphone 6 or S6 are really above the pain threshold look at the LG4.

Also; after 40 the average person gets problems with small print; small smartphones may fit easier in your pocket, but they also mean you can't use them without glasses. Unlike the Nokia she uses now, which has chocolate letter sized fonts.
    Congratulations America

She does want prepaid as she doesn't use out that much, and will be mostly in places with wifi, so a good plan isn't really an option then us it? And with cheaper I meant cheaper than a flagship phone like a galaxy s. The phones mentioned earlier got decent reviews from what I can tell, and are a lot cheaper.

Nexus 5, Moto G, Moto E, whichever Xperia is currently best value and most appealing. Don't install Genisys on it
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Actually might wanna check out the Moto X if you find it at a manageable price, or, for a great value phone that also matches many more expensive phones wrt performance, the Alcatel One Touch 3 (Alcatel is a bit of an unknown in the smartphone business though).

Thanks for the tips! She does have a little experience with android though (tablet, but she doesn't use it much) and is decent with computers so I'm not that worried about that part. But as long as it runs whatsapp it's good. She really likes the idea of group apps for get togethers, golfing with her friends, etc. Let's just hope her groups will have fewer NSFW stuff sent around than mine
    Same requirement my wife had.

Luckily Whatsapp runs on nearly everything.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If I don't talk much, it lasts a week between charges. .

Brand new Galaxy Note 4 here. I don't talk much, and it will last a bit over a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

It's a plot by the phone companies to keep their lemming customers constantly glued to their chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Actually I don't think your mother should go with 'a cheaper' model unless that 'cheaper' model is the flagship of a manufacturer like LG or Huawei.

Cheap smartphones work nicely for like the 3 nano seconds before you start actually using them and download apps. Since your mother probably lives in the Netherlands I would advise you to look at Vodafone, as they tend to have quite good deals with phones these days. If the Iphone 6 or S6 are really above the pain threshold look at the LG4.

Also; after 40 the average person gets problems with small print; small smartphones may fit easier in your pocket, but they also mean you can't use them without glasses. Unlike the Nokia she uses now, which has chocolate letter sized fonts.
    Agreed with all of this.

Flixy, your mom needs to figure out which "services" are essential, how to get them, and what she's willing to pay. Smart phones and their extended contracts are often too expensive. I've been quite happy with my Tracfone as a pay as you go service, with no penalties or hidden costs.

And no one has explained why buying a "smart phone", with its exclusive contracts or connectivity costs, is somehow smarter.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-16-2015 at 02:29 AM.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Good grief, GGT, your opinion is absolutely worthless. She wants to use WhatsApp, mapping tools and access public transportation data. For that you need a smart phone, something which you obviously are incapable of understanding.

Seriously, you're like this aunt nobody likes because she always gives unwanted and stupid advice.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Seriously, you're like this aunt nobody likes because she always gives unwanted and stupid advice.
    Oi! Surely there are limits to socially acceptable meanness even in this family

I thought it was spot on...

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Oi! Surely there are limits to socially acceptable meanness even in this family
    Hey, at least I didn't add "this aunt who always smells of Patchouli". Now, that would have been mean.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Well, if she's not getting mobile internet, those weather and transport apps would be far less useful.. that can all be found on a computer or TV. Unless, of course, free wifi is common where you live.