Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wrong with US Football -- Tom Brady punishment?

Default What wrong with US Football -- Tom Brady punishment?

Ok, so how in the world does telling someone to deflate a few balls warrant the same punishment as someone who beats a woman until she is unconscious?

If the goal is for me to stop watching all sports period, they are close to succeeding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

How in the world does beating a woman unconscious warrant the same punishment as telling someone to deflate a few balls??!?! Priorities folks, sheesh
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'd take the opposite approach. Deflating footballs is cheating in the actual game; beating a woman is morally bad but irrelevant to the job. Using your logic, how's taking steroids or even throwing games worse than beating a woman unconscious?
    Hope is the denial of reality

I know nothing about this case but from what's been described alone one is cheating and so a matter for the authorities of the sport, the other is a matter for courts.

Without knowing the punishments I'd be OK with a ban for life for both. One for cheating the other for bringing the sport into disrepute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

He's been smacked with a meager (imo) suspension of 4 games.

That is a lame suspension for cheating and a lame suspension for abuse.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Not actually that simple guys. There is a lack of definite proof regarding Tom Brady's involvement.

Courts will likely get involved should be interesting to see how it plays out.

All the court can focus on is what is in his contract. NFL only needs to prove he didn't honor his contract. Reminds me of Lance Armstrong...
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    All the court can focus on is what is in his contract. NFL only needs to prove he didn't honor his contract. Reminds me of Lance Armstrong...
    The commissioner shouldn't have been the arbiter of his own ruling. It will get a bit murky but really the case against Brady is circumstantial and the commissioner just wanted to be seen as 'doing something.' It wouldn't surprise me if the ass actually conducting polling or focus groups to determine the 'right' punishment for Brady.

Gladitorial games people...it's a heck of a lot easier to manage...
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Not actually that simple guys. There is a lack of definite proof regarding Tom Brady's involvement.

Courts will likely get involved should be interesting to see how it plays out.
    I'm shocked you don't think Brady's suspension should be lauded in school newspapers and taught in the curriculum. After all, it would definitely cut down on cheating, both professionally and in amateur football, right?

The commissioner shouldn't have been the arbiter of his own ruling. It will get a bit murky but really the case against Brady is circumstantial and the commissioner just wanted to be seen as 'doing something.' It wouldn't surprise me if the ass actually conducting polling or focus groups to determine the 'right' punishment for Brady.
    Since the commissioner is charged with enforcing contractual agreements it probably won't interest the court how the punishment decision was reached one little bit. If it goes to court I hope the NFL bans him for life. Break your contract then you can accept this slap on the wrist or go play for another league. Is arena football still around?

If a lynch mob can end someone's life without a court trial which should be lauded in court why shouldn't a commissioner be the arbiter of his own ruling for a petty ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I'm shocked you don't think Brady's suspension should be lauded in school newspapers and taught in the curriculum. After all, it would definitely cut down on cheating, both professionally and in amateur football, right?
    If there was proof he actually cheated absolutely. Well at least in PE and for coaches on football teams.

But I'm glad you've come around to my way way of thinking. If you are willing to to do it for football (and the limited importance that has compared to human life) I'm glad you are also supportive of doing it for things that actually matter. I await your post in my other thread.

Since the commissioner is charged with enforcing contractual agreements it probably won't interest the court how the punishment decision was reached one little bit. If it goes to court I hope the NFL bans him for life. Break your contract then you can accept this slap on the wrist or go play for another league. Is arena football still around?
    Are you suggesting that if someone sues the NFL you're supportive of retaliatory life time bans??

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I know nothing about this case but from what's been described alone one is cheating and so a matter for the authorities of the sport, the other is a matter for courts.

Without knowing the punishments I'd be OK with a ban for life for both. One for cheating the other for bringing the sport into disrepute.
    Not knowing anything about the cheating and whether it was proven or not, but yes, one is for the courts, one for the sports authorities. Plus, a conviction for beating a woman unconscious by the courts would probably mean a sentence longer than 4 games, which makes the suspension moot too. Can't play from jail!

But keep in mind teams have high media profiles, so while punishing someone for their non-game activities is up to the courts, the players are representative of the teams they work for, so if you behave in 'unsportsmanlike behaviour' (in the broad sense), I see why they would give a suspension. It hurts the team in PR, after all. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would be fired over beating a woman unconscious if he's a walking poster for your team - is that really what you want your public image to be associated with?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

If there was proof he actually cheated absolutely. Well at least in PE and for coaches on football teams.

But I'm glad you've come around to my way way of thinking. If you are willing to to do it for football (and the limited importance that has compared to human life) I'm glad you are also supportive of doing it for things that actually matter. I await your post in my other thread.
    There seemed to have been enough proof for a private actor to take action. I thought that was sufficient for you. Or are you requiring a level of proof sufficient for the courts?

No, no, we've already established, Lewk doesn't apply that standard doesn't apply to middle and upper class white men.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

There seemed to have been enough proof for a private actor to take action. I thought that was sufficient for you. Or are you requiring a level of proof sufficient for the courts?
    I've seen no direct proof of Tom Brady cheating - just some circumstantial evidence though. Someone breaking into your home? Yeah enough proof to blow 'em away.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    No, no, we've already established, Lewk doesn't apply that standard doesn't apply to middle and upper class white men.
    This again? Seriously if a middle class or upper class white man robs a home I'm all for them dying too. What part of my post history makes you think that I'm supportive of any robber surviving their assault on another's property?

I've seen no direct proof of Tom Brady cheating - just some circumstantial evidence though. Someone breaking into your home? Yeah enough proof to blow 'em away.
    What about someone entering your open garage? Is that enough to blow someone away? Just the other day my neighbors door was wide open and I peeked my head in to make sure they were okay. Is that proof enough to blow me away?

What about someone entering your open garage? Is that enough to blow someone away? Just the other day my neighbors door was wide open and I peeked my head in to make sure they were okay. Is that proof enough to blow me away?
    Did the neighbor know you? Had he had his stuff stolen recently? Were you trying to steal?

The answers are probably yes, no, no and that makes them all different from the example you are alluding to.

Are you suggesting that if someone sues the NFL you're supportive of retaliatory life time bans??
    NOT AT ALL. This particular person, yes. Like I said before, this is Lance Armstrong all over again; using his celebrity clout to bully people to make his lies replace the truth.

NOT AT ALL. This particular person, yes. Like I said before, this is Lance Armstrong all over again; using his celebrity clout to bully people to make his lies replace the truth.
    The fudge? Comparing Tom Brady to Lance Armstrong? Really? Man you must got some real hate for the Patriots. Probably because you dislike the name.

I think this entire thread is full of illustrations of the concept "you reap what you sow" It's kinda delightful

The fudge? Comparing Tom Brady to Lance Armstrong? Really? Man you must got some real hate for the Patriots. Probably because you dislike the name.
    I'll link to the pdf if you want but,

Paragraph 15 specifically refers to the power of the commissioner
    to discipline a player for gambling or drug related activity or for
    "conduct reasonably judged by the League Commissioner to be detrimental
    to the League or professional football."
    Cheating is detrimental to the League. And,

Under general association law, the commissioner should be accorded
    great deference in intepreting the scope of his jurisdiction to act in any context
    and will generally be judicially overruled only when his action is either
    a clear abuse of discretion, is contrary to express language in the SPK or
    other governing documents, 9 or is illegal.' 0 Nonetheless, commissioners are
    well aware that judges are unpredictible, and thus they usually will not risk
    a judicial incursion into their disciplinary power by acting in a marginal
    case unless they are confident a court will uphold the decision or there is
    some other important interest at stake (e.g., maintaining good relations with
    officials, the press, or Congress).

But there is no proof Tom Brady cheated.

If the commissioner was so certain of the 'evidence' why did he not allow for outside arbitration? Why would he give the Patriots a talking point like that? Obviously if the case was air tight he could be seen as completely fair and even handed by letting someone else arbitrate. But he knows his case is on sand (especially when it comes to Tom Brady personally). This is all about NFL politics and the commissioners power trip and being seen as 'doing something.'

The fact that Brady flat out told the NFL and the world, even before the cell phone got broke, that his cell phone would not be part of the investigation. He failed to cooperate. That is enough to prove he was uncooperative with a sanctioned investigation. I find it hilarious that the player's union made a play to get the trial before a judge that has in the past sided with the player's union. The fact the judge turned it down says a lot about the possible success of the player's union in this case. I guess instead of banning him for life the NFL can just fine him to recoup their legal fees for this fiasco.

Still wondering if the case was so airtight why the commissioner didn't have a neutral arbiter.

Also he was under no obligation to give his cell phone. The NFL has leaked information is an unprofessional and inappropriate way. What is Tom Brady has some private texts with him and his wife that would be embarrassing? What if he likes forwarding dirty jokes? What if he bad mouthed his coach and/or other people in a moment of frustration over something? Turning off your phone to an organization like the NFL practically guarantees all of that would be released somehow.

Still wondering if the case was so airtight why the commissioner didn't have a neutral arbiter.
    "No explanation was provided for this anomaly."

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ling-narrative

Also he was under no obligation to give his cell phone. The NFL has leaked information is an unprofessional and inappropriate way. What is Tom Brady has some private texts with him and his wife that would be embarrassing? What if he likes forwarding dirty jokes? What if he bad mouthed his coach and/or other people in a moment of frustration over something? Turning off your phone to an organization like the NFL practically guarantees all of that would be released somehow.
    Yeah okay so maybe Brady was trying to cover up texts between him and his lover who may or may not be gay, but more likely he was trying to cover up relevant evidence and has been punished for obstruction.