Thread: What's the most polite way of telling folks that their grammar is @ kindergarten lvl?

Default What's the most polite way of telling folks that their grammar is @ kindergarten lvl?

On online forums of course. If it was a paper and I was a professor I'd just fail the student.

It's vs. its.
    Their vs. there vs. they're.

...and then this gem (rare):

http://sandsations.blogspot.com/2012...13271349334861
    Last edited by agamemnus; 08-12-2015 at 06:46 AM.

I believe the proper way is to use the following mental mantra: "I will not be a grammar nazi, I will not be a grammar nazi, I will not be a grammar nazi. . ."
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

No, there is no polite way. You always come across like a grammar Nazi.

"Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I believe the proper way is to use the following mental mantra: "I will not be a grammar nazi, I will not be a grammar nazi, I will not be a grammar nazi. . ."
    Just like quitting anything addictive, it isn't that simple!

Dear Sir/Madam

Your grammar is fucking atrocious. Go choke on a bowl of dicks.

I remain as ever your humble and obedient servant,

Agamemnus
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

BTW it's spelled Kindergarten.

Their/there/they're, whether/weather, it's/its, affect/effect, than/then are frequent spelling mistakes. Those misspellings don't usually change the context of the sentence.

What bugs me more is that verbal mistakes have become so common that even "newscasters" will say things like, "Her and her friend".

"I searched for the two for the whole evening and finally I found her and her friend in the bar at the corner of the cinema."

Sounds good to me, but I am not an expert.

Punctuation is part of the written word. Commas are important. That doesn't mean a "newscaster" should say her and her friend found each other in the bar, at the corner cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    BTW it's spelled Kindergarten.
    Whatever do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Whatever do you mean?
    Didn't you start this thread? And put it in the wrong category as well?

Whatever do you mean?
    That when you sit in the glass house, you should wear trousers.

That when you sit in the glass house, you should wear trousers.
    And tell starving people they should eat cake?
    Last edited by GGT; 08-12-2015 at 08:33 AM.

I hate it's and its. Because with other words the 's indicates possession. Super annoying.

Like what's, let's, he's, etc. It also denotes an abbreviation.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Lewk does have a point, but it's a simple rule and it always makes me cringe how many people make the mistake. I don't think I've *ever* seen this mistake before 2002 or so. I guess it's because everyone suddenly started using the internet to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I hate it's and its.
    More so than then than...?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Lewk does have a point, but it's a simple rule and it always makes me cringe how many people make the mistake. I don't think I've *ever* seen this mistake before 2002 or so. I guess it's because everyone suddenly started using the internet to communicate.
    I think there are two common sources for the mistake.
    - Its instead of it's because people are just to lazy typing proper punctuation.
    - It's instead of its because "it's" is way more common and you're brain tricks you into use the more common one.

Anyway English grammar is still on kindergarten level even when you are doing it right, maybe with the exception of tenses and conditionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I hate it's and its. Because with other words the 's indicates possession. Super annoying.
    That's why in mighty German we don't make ' in genitive case.

English; German
    Peter's house; Peters Haus
    Last edited by earthJoker; 08-14-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    If someone actually uses the apostrophe to denotate the possessive case, we usually call it the "Moron's apostrophe". The use of the apostrophe also seems to be contagious - I've personally seen it to also used in conjunction with the plural 's'. And in one case, with a plural 'e' ("Teppich'e heruntergesetzt!")
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Teppich'e
    I think it's possible to write entire books in correct German without using the apostrophe even once. In English they might have introduced the genitive apostrophe to distinguish between genitive case and plural of the same word.

I think there are two common sources for the mistake.
    - Its instead of it's because people are just to lazy typing proper punctuation.
    - It's instead of its because "it's" is way more common and you're brain tricks you into use the more common one.

Anyway English grammar is still on kindergarten level even when you are doing it right, maybe with the exception of tenses and conditionals.
    you're brain
    to lazy
    you're brain
    to lazy
    you're brain to lazy

Ahem...!

Good ideas for why people do it, though...

Don't fuss too much. When the microphone is pressed to your mouth, after a disaster, or some important event, the last thing people expect is "proper grammar".

On the other hand....it's worth noting if the speaker has a full set of teeth.

<I was astounded when Ben Carson, the neurosurgeon, lost his front tooth while speaking to a Republican campaign event. Teeth don't just 'fall out' that way unless there have been years of neglect. The kind of neglect a neurosurgeon wouldn't practice, right?>
    Last edited by GGT; 08-26-2015 at 07:41 AM.

Are you not dyslexic, joker? Seem to remember you saying you were, many years ago.

Think Steely is too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Dyslexia runs in my family (from my fathers side). I have never been tested in myself. I still like to have proper grammar as long as it is the regular case.

If there wasn't a spelling checker in any browser nowadays I would be fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Think Steely is too.
    Diagnosed as such. Later in life, some people said it might actually be dyspraxia. I was certainly a somewhat unusual case - although I had tremendous difficulties with spelling and numeracy (the numeracy problems I never really overcame) which are obviously dyslexia symptoms, I was able to read at or possibly even above the level of other children my age from quite early on. I looked at the symptoms for dyspraxia, I recognise a lot of them from my childhood. And I basically never figured out the whole left/right thing until I started to drive. But it was never to the point where you'd notice that my e.g. coordination &c was outside the normal distribution.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I think it's possible to write entire books in correct German without using the apostrophe even once. In English they might have introduced the genitive apostrophe to distinguish between genitive case and plural of the same word.
    I doubt that, Dutch has the genitive apostrophe as well. I think it's more likely that German abolished it.
    Congratulations America

Nope, found it out (thanks google). The ' is actually pointing at a missing "e". So words like Peter's or professor's where in old English root written Peteres or professores.

Probably the same applies to Dutch. In German you still have that e in words of neutral gender:
    Des Kindes Mutter
    Des Hauses Türe.