Page 10 of 171 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    He's still losing badly by traditional metrics. My money is on Cruz (worse than Trump) or Rubio.
    I'm hoping for Rubio at this point. I feel he has a powerful 'new' vs. 'old' message in the general election against Clinton. Trump is a joke. I don't understand how anyone could look at Trump's history and think he is a true conservative. Raging populist? Sure. But an adherent of limited government? Not so much.

Do you want Obama #2? Another one-term Senator with no executive experience, no experience getting things done, and more interested in running for the presidency than with figuring out how government works? And yes, I realize that Rubio is preferable to the nut brigade.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Do you want Obama #2? Another one-term Senator with no executive experience, no experience getting things done, and more interested in running for the presidency than with figuring out how government works? And yes, I realize that Rubio is preferable to the nut brigade.
    The 'experience' argument isn't one I'm particularly fond of. People who have been in politics all their lives aren't necessarily best to run the country. Rubio isn't frothing at the mouth crazy, has *some* political experience (Having a complete lack of it has issues... see Dr. Carson) and has the best shot at beating Hillary in the general. Honestly I'd prefer Rand Paul but that is a pipe dream. Rubio has a shot.

Lindsey Graham.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/trump...035621771.html

“A government that can shut down mosques simply because they are mosques can shut down Bible studies because they are Bible studies. A government that can close the borders to all Muslims simply on the basis of their religious belief can do the same thing for evangelical Christians,” Moore wrote later Monday evening. “A government that issues ID badges for Muslims simply because they are Muslims can, in the fullness of time, demand the same for Christians because we are Christians.”

This x1000. I really hope this is what ends Trump's ridiculous candidacy.

I fear it will have the opposite effect.

Looking forward to a Democratic victory
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I fear it will have the opposite effect.
    This is exactly what happened. The Mayor of St Pete (neighboring city) threw up a tweet saying "I am hereby barring Donald Trump from entering St. Petersburg until we fully understand the dangerous threat posed by all Trumps,"

Local fox station brought it up not once, not twice, but three times this morning talking about how unprofessional it was, how the mayor doesn't have the power to do that, and that he should be worried about the local baseball team or homeless instead. They beat it so far into the ground they resorted to reading tweets from trump supporters about the remark.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

That's odd, considering the love/hate relationship Fox has with Trump (more hate/hate really). Maybe it was just a cheap shot at a Democrat.

Dont doubt it, they said democrat as often as they said mayor.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

So far Trump hasn't earned one vote. We'll know within 60 days whether Trump is a paper tiger creation of the media or a self-fulfilling prophesy of the media.

Dread, while I have no doubt that media coverage is what makes Trump shine, if he gets actual votes in the primaries I think we'll have no one to blame but voters. His absolutely ridiculous positions and statements have been covered ad nauseum - to believe that the average primary voter (who is much more politically engaged than the broader populace) is swayed by a media narrative in the face of such obvious, rank incompetence stretches credulity. I think it's clear that either Trump is a publicity-driven paper tiger or a symptom of the distressingly awful base of Republican primary voters.

I have to assume that Trump will fare poorly in Iowa (where much more religious figures tend to succeed - think Cruz) and New Hampshire (whose voters are not likely to plump for such an ideologue). S. Carolina is harder to parse, but going into Super Tuesday I can't imagine Trump will have a lot of momentum going for him. Even if he finishes a respectable third or so in many of the early primaries, I think failing to live up to the hype will eventually doom his campaign. Deep pockets alone are not going to win the race.

I'm still hoping for a Kasich nomination.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

SO MUCH SYMBOLISM!

"Far-right Santorum"? Really?

And there you have it... the Trump base. Trump won't win the Republican primary, can't wait until this horrible joke is over.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Dread, while I have no doubt that media coverage is what makes Trump shine, if he gets actual votes in the primaries I think we'll have no one to blame but voters. His absolutely ridiculous positions and statements have been covered ad nauseum - to believe that the average primary voter (who is much more politically engaged than the broader populace) is swayed by a media narrative in the face of such obvious, rank incompetence stretches credulity. I think it's clear that either Trump is a publicity-driven paper tiger or a symptom of the distressingly awful base of Republican primary voters.

I have to assume that Trump will fare poorly in Iowa (where much more religious figures tend to succeed - think Cruz) and New Hampshire (whose voters are not likely to plump for such an ideologue). S. Carolina is harder to parse, but going into Super Tuesday I can't imagine Trump will have a lot of momentum going for him. Even if he finishes a respectable third or so in many of the early primaries, I think failing to live up to the hype will eventually doom his campaign. Deep pockets alone are not going to win the race.

I'm still hoping for a Kasich nomination.
    I worry the hype and intrigue is enough to keep him going (and possibly influence turnout/votes) for a while.

So the French far right Front National leader Marine Le Pen has distanced herself from Trump's latest comments saying he went too far.

Kind of bad when you're going too far even for the far right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

First live-interview poll taken entirely after Trump Muslim comments. http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/322...02be832156.pdf

On the topic of Le Pen: Palin is now sucking up to her...

The name of the leader of America's foremost White supremacist group is Black.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...tin-narcissism

Because you know... you want a president who likes PUTIN.

I'm waiting for al-Baghdadi to say something nice about Trump. By the way, the three stooges (Trump, Cruz, and Carson) are now polling at over 65%.

P.S. The Muslim comment did have the opposite effect. Trump went up 6-10% in all the polls after making it.

I resent that you lump Carson and Cruz with Trump. Not even in the same ball park.

Just out of curiosity who do you think will win Iowa, NH and eventually the nomination?

Cruz is at least as dangerous as Trump. Not only is his rhetoric nearly as incendiary, but it's being used very strategically. The guy is willing to destroy his country to get a chance at the presidency, something he's already tried to do during his tenure in the senate. Carson would quite possibly be the least informed president in American history.

Cruz is at least as dangerous as Trump. Not only is his rhetoric nearly as incendiary, but it's being used very strategically. The guy is willing to destroy his country to get a chance at the presidency, something he's already tried to do during his tenure in the senate. Carson would quite possibly be the least informed president in American history.
    Cruz isn't nearly as egoistical or incendiary as Trump is. Carson is a political novice sure but that isn't always a bad thing. Frankly I trust Carson not use the office of the Presidency just to consolidate power (Clinton). Trump is a nightmare candidate on a level worse than any other I've ever seen. Also you didn't answer my question.

Cruz is willing to make his party, the Senate, and his country burn just to get elected. Who's to say he won't do the same to stay in power? Carson's main foreign policy advisor wants to convert all Muslims in the Middle East to Christianity. So not only is Carson himself not well-informed, he's not very good at relying on people who are.

This election has been unique in many ways. No one (including me) thought Trump would be polling at nearly 40% with 5 weeks to go before primary season. My bet is that Cruz wins Iowa (or is very close to Trump), Rubio wins New Hampshire (or is very close to Trump). This will get both of them additional exposure and destroy Trump's inevitable candidate argument. As Trump's weakness on the ground is exposed, he'll continue to underperform his poll numbers (especially on caucus states), which will lead to him getting knocked out in the March 1st super-primaries. Most of his support will go to Cruz though, which will lead to a close Cruz victory over Rubio. This is all speculation though.

Hillary is winning the Democratic nomination. Short of getting arrested, I don't see what can stop her. O'Malley is just not that good as a candidate. And Sanders is both too left wing and not appealing to minorities.

Again be specific in regards to Cruz. Converting people to Christianity is something Christians generally support but I wouldn't do that as part of my job and I doubt Carson would advocate that as part his job.

Democratic primary is boring on the Republican side I'm optimistic about Rubio taking the nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Again be specific in regards to Cruz. Converting people to Christianity is something Christians generally support but I wouldn't do that as part of my job and I doubt Carson would advocate that as part his job.

Democratic primary is boring on the Republican side I'm optimistic about Rubio taking the nomination.
    The point isn't that Carson would try this. The point is he has awful judgement when it comes to picking advisors. And that's a pretty important skill when he himself knows nothing.

Cruz is hated by the entire Senate. He consistently tried to block the work of the Senate, even the work of fellow Republicans, as a way to suck up to the Tea Party. He doesn't even care about the specifics of the bills. He just knows that blocking the Senate, even to the point of causing a government shutdown, gets him votes. He's decided to take the most extreme position on immigration just because he knows it will get him votes. He's taken an extreme position on refugees because he knows it will get him votes. He's advocated carpet bombing cities because he knows it will get him votes. Unlike Trump, he knows all these things are wrong. Trump actually believes that his policies will make America great. Cruz is too smart to believe his policies will do the same. But he doesn't care. And if he gets elected, he's made it clear that he will refuse to work with the Senate. That means the country will come to a complete stand-still. Not that this would bother Cruz, because it's what will continue to get him Republican votes.

What's Rubio's path to victory? The crazy vote and the Evangelical vote are at 70+% right now. If Carson drops out, most of his support goes to Cruz. If Trump drops out, his vote gets split between Rubio and Cruz, but more to Cruz. The moderates, whose support would go to Rubio, are polling at about 10%.
    Last edited by Loki; 12-25-2015 at 10:01 PM.