Page 101 of 171 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 5128

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Regarding Congressional approval, my concern is more limited; Congress has in general abdicated their responsibilities in this arena and the President certainly has some leeway on limited strikes. If he wanted to do a larger or longer incursion, though, he should probably get approval.

Consulting allies seems like a better idea, though, especially given the complex geopolitical situation in Syria and the need to have major NATO/etc. allies on board. It looks like most people got on board after the attacks, but it's not clear what the strategy is from now and whether the US will have allied support on things.
    I was listening to the 1A Friday International News Roundup on NPR today and one of the wonks was saying he's recently been hearing discussion in the Pentagon about an attack on NK to destroy their missile/ nuclear weapons assets/ infrastructure in terms of it being a doable option. He said, in the past, it simply wasn't discussed as a viable option, for various reasons, but now he thinks there are elements in the Pentagon that are thinking differently. Thoughts?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Watching the America First Trump supporters trying to wrap their head around on how to support this has been god damn popcorn worthy. Yesterday it was all false flags and shit, to the point that even Lewk tried that shit on these boards. The backwater subreddits are still infighting over it. Paranoia about paid shills coming from both sides of the argument. Even /r/the_donald/ are posting Trump's own tweets against action in Syria.
    Eh? There are always possibilities and in the first 24-48 hours a lot of things will be theorized. If you were Assad and your goal was to remain in power - would you use chemical weapons like this? Especially when it seems like it would obviously backfire. Dictators can of course be stupid, their military can be stupid and people aren't always fully rational about things.

Syria is a mess - I'm in support of drawing clear lines and then fully enforcing them. If chemical weapons is a line we draw than we continue to escalate force response until it deters that behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Eh? There are always possibilities and in the first 24-48 hours a lot of things will be theorized. If you were Assad and your goal was to remain in power - would you use chemical weapons like this? Especially when it seems like it would obviously backfire. Dictators can of course be stupid, their military can be stupid and people aren't always fully rational about things.

Syria is a mess - I'm in support of drawing clear lines and then fully enforcing them. If chemical weapons is a line we draw than we continue to escalate force response until it deters that behavior.
    Theorized by Russia, copied by their fans in America. It was pretty clear almost immediately what happened.

What's the purpose of drawing a line on an issue that doesn't affect America?
    Hope is the denial of reality

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...1-weeks-2017-4

POLITICS
    TRUMP: 'I think we've had one of the most successful 13 weeks in the history of the presidency'
    Allan Smith Apr 6, 2017, 4:07 PM ET
    Donald Trump
    Mark Wilson/Getty Images
    Donald Trump.
    President Donald Trump doesn't only think his presidency is off to a great start - he thinks it's off to one of the greatest in history.

"I think we've had one of the most successful 13 weeks in the history of the presidency," he told reporters aboard Air Force One Thursday, as he was en route to a summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida.

Trump, who's been in office for just short of 11 weeks, has faced a number of challenges and setbacks in his early weeks in office. The Russia-related cloud of controversy hanging over his administration led to the ouster of national security adviser Michael Flynn in February, after Flynn had misled Vice President Mike Pence about the nature of his conversations with the Russian ambassador.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I'm telling you man. #mandelaeffect

WTF America?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Before anyone reads to much into it, he isn't saying Hitler was better because he doesn't consider Jew's to be part of Hitler's people. He seems to be implying that Hitler was better because he kept his chemicals to the showers instead of gassing people in the streets.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

American needs to coin "Shut up, Sean" as the hip catchphrase of the moment, STAT.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

He clearly knew the whole answer was going south halfway through. The smart move would be to "forget the question" and move on.

He's easily confused. He was probably given a sloppy briefing that included the old meme about the taboo against chemical weapons being so strong that even Hitler didn't use them in war and then got confused halfway through regurgitating it. Spicer is basically that dumb guy we all remember from highschool.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Theorized by Russia, copied by their fans in America. It was pretty clear almost immediately what happened.

What's the purpose of drawing a line on an issue that doesn't affect America?
    You know very well what happens in Syria impacts America. From Refugees to proliferation of certain types of weapons to ISIS there are impacts. What the right call to make is not always clear (in fact I started a thread about it awhile back where Wiggin provided a lot of interesting context succinctly).

You know very well what happens in Syria impacts America. From Refugees to proliferation of certain types of weapons to ISIS there are impacts. What the right call to make is not always clear (in fact I started a thread about it awhile back where Wiggin provided a lot of interesting context succinctly).
    Remind me why America should care what kind of chemical weapons Syria has or uses except to the extent it violates international law? Were those weapons going to be used against Americans?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Remind me why America should care what kind of chemical weapons Syria has or uses except to the extent it violates international law? Were those weapons going to be used against Americans?
    It is in the world's interest that chemical weapons not be used with frequency. Ultimately what I am more concerned about is America's reputation and ability to force other countries to compliance via said reputation. I can see value in America drawing the line and saying 'cross it and you fucked.' That was a major problem I had with Obama's actions in Syria. They were tepid and when lines were crossed he didn't effectively deter Syria's defiance.

Either America says "We don't like chemical weapons but not our business" or "We don't tolerate chemical weapons." One could argue what is the appropriate response A or B. However no one can justify declaring B and then not enforcing it.

You don't see anything idiotic about making red lines about issues that you don't give a damn about and then using that as a rationale to escalate hostilities? All Trump had to say was that it was no longer a red line.

Bullshit. You'd have been the first calling for Trump' s head of he declared using chemical weapons not to be a red line

Besides Trump would have had to say that BEFORE they were used for it to have that effect. At which point you'd be blaming him for these deaths.

You're just being a blind partisan here.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Looks like Bannon lost the war. Good, he's fucking nuts.

Trump Signals Steve Bannon Could Be On His Way Out

"I like Steve, but you have to remember, he was not involved in my campaign until very late," Trump said. "I had already beaten all the senators and all the governors, and I didn't know Steve. I'm my own strategist, and it wasn't like I was going to change strategies because I was facing crooked Hillary."
    http://www.npr.org/2017/04/12/523569..._campaign=news
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Last edited by Aimless; 04-14-2017 at 02:31 PM.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7683386.html

To think we have Britain to thank in our push back against Russia. So damn inept.

If you like libraries feel free to donate. Don't shove a gun in my face and confiscate my money to pay for it.

Lewk, your level of ignorance on pretty much everything is the perfect example for why the government needs to better support public libraries.

To be fair, no matter how many libraries you have, people like Lewk will not be inclined to change the way they look at the world. Much of the time, you can't even lead an ass to water

Lewk, your level of ignorance on pretty much everything is the perfect example for why the government needs to better support public libraries.
    I fail to see how Lewk's ignorance could be fixed by a library, or why libraries are that important in the 21st century.

Open access to verified information and research, and staff trained on how to find and use it could have saved him from a lot of embarrassing interactions on these boards. Installing a sense of whats possible, especially at a younger age could be a lifesaver for people as they go through life.

Libraries serve much the same purpose now that hey always have. Providing access to information that otherwise wouldn't be accessible. Immediate example would be the discussion this board had about the guy who was sued for sharing Georgia's annotated laws because he was violating Lexis Nexas' copyright. Library's can get access to that info, and even provide access for remote use.

They are of course evolving with their communities, internet access is popular, being places to gather, or lending physical items along with books, entrepreneur incubators or the STEM roads a lot of taking with being incorporating makerspaces into their services. Ours here was in the news a little while ago for being a point of service for a young amputee that was 3d printing a hand casing. The adult learning resources we have have also gotten popular, Lynda.com has generated a lot of talk and learning express is a common resource for test prep.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    People like Lewk will not be inclined to change the way they look at the world. Much of the time, you can't even lead an ass to water
    Get them young, before they turn into asses. Schools, especially private schools, love library field trips and out reach.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I fail to see how Lewk's ignorance could be fixed by a library, or why libraries are that important in the 21st century.
    What. . . what is it about the 21st century that you think makes libraries unimportant compared to the 20th century?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Apparently you can find anything and everything on the Internet and everything is digital nowadays so you certainly don't need a physical building. Probably. Maybe.

I used school and public libraries when I was younger, clearly it didn't brainwash me into a liberal puppet.

If you like libraries feel free to donate. Don't shove a gun in my face and confiscate my money to pay for it.
    I used school and public libraries when I was younger
    This is some Rand level FYGM right here.