Page 124 of 171 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 5128

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Yeah, but don't use run on sentences and don't forget to close parentheses. It's starting to be like reading editorials that don't edit around here anymore. Lazy fucks!
    "Up yours." Is that succinct enough for you?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I'm a bit puzzled because. . . Arpaio is in jail on a contempt order. A pardon simply doesn't apply, just like it wouldn't release someone from impeachment.
    And I'm even more puzzled because....from what I've read Arpaio hasn't officially been sentenced, and he's definitely NOT in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Question - and this is an honest one, if it was discovered that Al Capone shouldn't have been found guilty on tax evasion (be it some technical bull shit, jury tampering, prosecutor misconduct) would it have been a bad thing to correct the inappropriate verdict via a pardon. Or should the person deciding to pardon consider the 'known' fact that he was a bad guy.
    Sounds about right coming from a Trump apologist. Twisting, contorting, conflating. All while claiming to be a proponent of "Law and Order" (just check your legal rights at the door).

Capone was also convicted before Miranda rights were enacted. Maybe you think that's irrelevant, and just want to focus on the absolute 'right' for POTUS to grant clemency to anyone he chooses? Well, legally and technically, that means the pardoned person agrees they've been found guilty in a court of law (in this case by a judge)....and the President hasn't waited the usual course of time (5 years) to let the appeals process play out.

There's not much you can say to turn Arpaio's pardon into a plus, without admitting to hypocrisy. If Obama had done something like this, you'd be screaming about Executive over-reach with liberal political motivations.

Considering the response from Fox's viewers, I have to wonder: are American children taught that no constitutional protections apply to immigrants?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Depends on the amount of melanin in their skin.
    Hope is the denial of reality

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/26/u...on-arpaio.html

“The Arpaio pardon was awful in and of itself, but I also think it was a signal to the targets of the Mueller investigation that 'I got your back.'”

Instead of bumping up the border wall thread, I'll ask here:

- will congress agree to a border wall?
    - will there be a tax on remittances to Mexico?
    - will there be a govt. shutdown?
    Last edited by Aimless; 08-27-2017 at 07:06 PM.

1. Congress doesn't really care. It's willing to agree as long as it doesn't have to provide more than a billion or two in funding.
    2. No. I'm no trade lawyer, but that seems like a blatant violation of both NAFTA and WTO rules.
    3. Probably not. But with Trump, who knows?

Wrt the wall, isn't it expected to cost much more than $1-2 billion even for the most trippy projections? My concern stems from that assumption, that, faced with the prospect of a Trump-provoked shutdown (can he do that?), Congress will back down and agree to spend a lot of money on the wall, not only wasting money but also sending dangerous signals to both Trump and the public.

Wrt taxes on remittances I have also been uncertain about the legality, but haven't seen much detailed analysis from that angle. Only seen analyses that explain why it wouldn't be enough and would also harm taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Instead of bumping up the border wall thread, I'll ask here:

- will congress agree to a border all?
    - will there be a tax on remittances to Mexico?
    - will there be a govt. shutdown?
    - WTF is a border all?
    - WTF is remittances?
    - Yes; Trump doesn't like the government.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

- WTF is a border all?
    Can you guess?

- WTF is remittances?
    Can you guess?

Yes; Trump doesn't like the government.
    How likely do you believe this to be? Who'll budge first, and what will they concede?

Wrt the wall, isn't it expected to cost much more than $1-2 billion even for the most trippy projections? My concern stems from that assumption, that, faced with the prospect of a Trump-provoked shutdown (can he do that?), Congress will back down and agree to spend a lot of money on the wall, not only wasting money but also sending dangerous signals to both Trump and the public.

Wrt taxes on remittances I have also been uncertain about the legality, but haven't seen much detailed analysis from that angle. Only seen analyses that explain why it wouldn't be enough and would also harm taxpayers.
    The cost of the wall is in the tens of billions. But Congress allocated a billion in a previous bill (I believe). That way they can tell their constituents they did something, while doing nothing. As for Trump blackmailing Congress: not likely. First, he's impatient and incompetent. Second, Democrats are guaranteed to vote against any proposal. That means Trump can't afford to lose 29 House votes. The Freedom Caucus has more than that, and there's no chance in hell they'll pony up tens of billions for a wall.

Who'd vote for this remittance tax? Democrats will oppose it outright. Some Republicans will oppose it because they care about trade. Others will oppose it because they're allergic to taxes.

... Who'll budge first, and what will they concede?
    Budge? Really??

Budge? Really??
    https://www.google.com/search?q=budge&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

What's with the sudden allergy to English, Being?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

He thinks it's funny because it's one letter removed from "budget", just like "all" was one letter short of "wall". Must be sad at work this week.

Trump won't budge from hating the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Depends on the amount of melanin in their skin.
    It's just kinda terrifying. I've seen thousands of people expressing the belief that non-citizens--legal residents or otherwise--have literally NO constitutional rights. They are completely resistant to any information that suggests otherwise. Is this question not discussed in American schools?

"Poorly educated."

Immigrants, even legal ones, do have fewer constitutional protections by the way, even when it comes to something basic, like free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    "Poorly educated."

Immigrants, even legal ones, do have fewer constitutional protections by the way, even when it comes to something basic, like free speech.
    Fewer, yes, but not NO protections. It's just a baffling misconception. It doesn't even require all that much education. Just remind kids every year that immigrants are also protected by the constitution to a great extent.

I teach a required college class on the topic. A vast majority of the students come in knowing next to nothing about the Constitution. And most of the nativists don't have a college education.

It's just kinda terrifying. I've seen thousands of people expressing the belief that non-citizens--legal residents or otherwise--have literally NO constitutional rights. They are completely resistant to any information that suggests otherwise. Is this question not discussed in American schools?
    I don't recall that I ever saw the differences in legal rights between citizens and non-citizens explicitly covered K-12. Of course, that education focuses on the Bill of Rights and as far as those go there really is very little difference. Where there are differences in that material they tend to be either technical or esoteric (like the fact that immigration proceedings aren't criminal prosecution and so the right to a lawyer doesn't apply)

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...l-cohen-2017-8

One movie isn't going to be enough. It's going to require a trilogy.

I don't recall that I ever saw the differences in legal rights between citizens and non-citizens explicitly covered K-12. Of course, that education focuses on the Bill of Rights and as far as those go there really is very little difference. Where there are differences in that material they tend to be either technical or esoteric (like the fact that immigration proceedings aren't criminal prosecution and so the right to a lawyer doesn't apply)
    National security arguments could be used to deport legal immigrants (non-naturalized) without a review, including for supporting groups and ideologies that weren't deemed a threat to national security at the time that support was voiced.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ght-tv-ratings
    Trump: I pardoned Arpaio during hurricane because I thought TV ratings would be higher

what the flying fuck
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Trump: I pardoned Arpaio during hurricane because I thought TV ratings would be higher

what the flying fuck
    This type of thing is the new normal. Get used to it. Embrace it. Be happy.

This type of thing is the new normal. Get used to it. Embrace it. Be happy.
    No.

No.
    Trump wins if you die of some stress induced malady.

what the flying fuck
    Pretty bad. Reminds me of the most sickening comment in politics I've ever heard, this is not as bad but close.

On September 11th 2001 while the whole world was watching the events unfolding in New York one spin doctor in the UK was looking for how to make political advantage out of it! She sent an email out saying that today was "a good day to bury bad news". http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-bad-news.html

I doubt anyone will ever rival someone trying to make capital out of 9/11 for just plain sickness but Trump seeking ratings from the hurricane is getting close. Evil man.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/08...war-monuments/

Sigh.

At least he didn't "joke" about trees and ropes.

dammit, I just posted that in the statue thread. Thats what I get for reading oldest first.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."