Page 23 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    One of my old high school buddies who is white always has problems with police. Why? Because he really, really dislikes them. (Shocker he's a liberal). If you act like an ass you get treated like it. I know, blah, blah anecdotal evidence, but I really do think a lot of the issue isn't police racism but civilian non-cooperation and attitude. I've been pulled over a few times in my life and every interaction has been cordial even when I did get a ticket. People often bring it on themselves. The vast majority of America is not racist and I have a hard time believing there would be a bigger % of racists among the police force than in the general population.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2584376 Yep, no racists at all.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I never claimed the percentage was 0.

Also your example doesn't seem to necessarily have a racial motive. From the story it looks like the cops were feeling vindictive because the postal carrier said something about their driving.

"Machado and three cops were zipping along in an unmarked car on March 17 when they nearly struck Grays postal truck, officials said.

Grays shouted at the driver, who threw the car in reverse and screamed back at the mail carrier."

It is never appropriate to assume racism simply because the victim is black.

Also your example doesn't seem to necessarily have a racial motive. From the story it looks like the cops were feeling vindictive because the postal carrier said something about their driving.

"Machado and three cops were zipping along in an unmarked car on March 17 when they nearly struck Grays postal truck, officials said.

Grays shouted at the driver, who threw the car in reverse and screamed back at the mail carrier."

It is never appropriate to assume racism simply because the victim is black.
    If it is never appropriate to assume racism, surely it must be even more important to never assume criminality, Lewk. But that's what any blanket surveillance (or ban on entry) does with Muslims, just as existing racial profiling does for African-Americans and Latinos.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    If it is never appropriate to assume racism, surely it must be even more important to never assume criminality, Lewk. But that's what any blanket surveillance (or ban on entry) does with Muslims, just as existing racial profiling does for African-Americans and Latinos.
    Assuming someone is a criminal and treating them like a criminal is one thing. Looking at data and *double checking* to make sure someone is not a criminal/terrorist is NOT assuming they are a criminal.

Lewk, why have you become a Cruz supporter, even though he's just as bad (or even worse than) Trump?

"Party first" is a pretty crappy way to run any nation.

I have a hard time believing there would be a bigger % of racists among the police force than in the general population.
    Hasn't it been shown that this is a conditioned response to being a police officer? FNGs patroling the most oppressed neighborhoods condition a form of racism into themselves as a survival mechanism.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Lewk, why have you become a Cruz supporter, even though he's just as bad (or even worse than) Trump?
    Worse than Trump? Uh no. I agree with Cruz on most things (and far more than I would for either Trump or Hillary).

Assuming someone is a criminal and treating them like a criminal is one thing. Looking at data and *double checking* to make sure someone is not a criminal/terrorist is NOT assuming they are a criminal.
    Yes, it IS. You are assuming criminal conduct and treating them accordingly until your suspicion is disproved. And you're not doing it on the basis of any evidence in this case but on the basis of their religion which damn well is an infringement on the 1st amendment. If you can't worship or take a religious affiliation without being assumed to be a criminal and treated as such by the police (a police which you say should have a heightened presence as well) then you can't freely exercise your religion. You need probable cause to treat someone like that, Lewk, and religion is justly barred from being used as probable cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Hasn't it been shown that this is a conditioned response to being a police officer? FNGs patroling the most oppressed neighborhoods condition a form of racism into themselves as a survival mechanism.
    Even if it didn't, fundamental pysch research like the Stanford Prison experiment demonstrates that suppressed racism will be expressed when there are power differentials. Further, social dynamics mean people who are not themselves racist can start display racist behaviors if in contact with someone who is (again, provided enhanced visibility by the effects of power-differentials) as a basic effect of "peer pressure."
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

If I check the air pressure of my tires I'm not assuming there is a problem I'm just checking. Religion wouldn't be used as probable cause. Cops can go into any neighborhood they want and do more patrols.

I'm also quite skeptical of social experiments run by colleges.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4102

I never claimed the percentage was 0.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...h-of-black-man Yep, nothing to see here.

Yikes.

I am pleased with Wisconsin.

Not very surprising. Trump is nearly perfect far east of the Mississippi, mediocre on the river, and doing terrible to the west of it.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ation_map.html

Isn't New York next with nearly 100 delegates?

I'm sure Ted "New York values" Cruz is going to do so well there ...
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Isn't New York next with nearly 100 delegates?

I'm sure Ted "New York values" Cruz is going to do so well there ...
    Trump will win New York. The most important thing though is for Cruz to continue to pick up wins like Wisconsin so they can stop Trump from 1237. There ANY person will be better than Trump. Literally anyone.

Worse than Trump? Uh no. I agree with Cruz on most things (and far more than I would for either Trump or Hillary).
    By 'most things' do you mean policing Muslim neighborhoods and letting only Christian Arabs/Africans into the country? That kind of profiling has already been shot down as discriminatory. Maybe you agree with his carpet-bombing and water-boarding, even though they're unethical and illegal acts. Or do you just like Cruz's promise to get rid of the IRS?

Trump will win New York. The most important thing though is for Cruz to continue to pick up wins like Wisconsin so they can stop Trump from 1237. There ANY person will be better than Trump. Literally anyone.
    Stopping Trump from getting to 1237 only extends the delegate voting process beyond the first ballot at the convention, and brings all the RNC Rules to the forefront. Are you okay with literally anyone getting the nomination (so long as it's not Trump) even if that means it won't be Cruz?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post

Stopping Trump from getting to 1237 only extends the delegate voting process beyond the first ballot at the convention, and brings all the RNC Rules to the forefront. Are you okay with literally anyone getting the nomination (so long as it's not Trump) even if that means it won't be Cruz?
    Absolutely! Cruz wasn't even my first choice - I would have preferred Rubio. I'd be good with Romney. I'd be good with Jeb. I'd be good with a lot of folks. I suppose I should qualify the 'anyone' statement some. I'm sure there is someone out there in the wide world that is crazier than Trump but any Republican who would stand a serious chance on a 2nd ballot I would be in favor over Trump.

If Trump gets an absolute majority of elected delegates do you still think he should be denied the nomination if he only gets eg 1236 delegates despite having a majority of elected delegates?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

He's unlikely to get a majority.

but he has to get the nomination! I already have my bumper sticker

Click to view the full version

Seems like the Republicans would rather lose with Cruz than win with Trump. Add it to the reasons that party is so fucked up.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

He's unlikely to get a majority.
    He's unlikely to get a majority of delegates (including unpledged delegates) but he's likely to get a majority of elected delegates is he not? I believe he currently does have a majority of delegates who have been elected.

If Trump gets an absolute majority of elected delegates do you still think he should be denied the nomination if he only gets eg 1236 delegates despite having a majority of elected delegates?
    Absolutely. When you have over a dozen people votes get split very oddly.

Seems like the Republicans would rather lose with Cruz than win with Trump. Add it to the reasons that party is so fucked up.
    There is no winning with Trump.

Should he? No. Would he? Probably.

edit: Sorry, I reversed things. Yes, he should be denied the nomination under that condition, but he probably would not be. He'd get it.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 04-13-2016 at 09:41 PM.

He's unlikely to get a majority of delegates (including unpledged delegates) but he's likely to get a majority of elected delegates is he not? I believe he currently does have a majority of delegates who have been elected.
    Unlikely to get a majority of elected delegates and he doesn't have a majority of the ones who were already chosen. Trump has 743 delegates. The rest of the field has about 900.

Sanders supporters are now openly discussing the possibility that the super-delegates will switch their support to Sanders even if Clinton wins the pledged delegate count and popular vote in the democratic primary.

That's a thing that is happening.

fyi
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Unlikely to get a majority of elected delegates and he doesn't have a majority of the ones who were already chosen. Trump has 743 delegates. The rest of the field has about 900.
    He has 743 while the remaining candidates have 716 delegates between them. Rubio has some true but is not going to be winning more, while Cruz has 20% of his delegates from his home state that won't be occurring again. Kasich has nearly 50% of his delegates from his home state that won't be occurring again.

Trump hasn't reached his effective home state (New York) yet, that is next week and he is likely to win the vast bulk if not all of the 95 delegates available there.