Page 66 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 5128

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    America, I'm not being funny or anything but your president is now referring to himself in the third person.
    It's probably accurate usage, I'm sure he has a flunky working the phone for him.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

So it's not the real Donald Trump doing the tweeting? That username is a misnomer then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

No, it's him. Though he's retweeting someone, thus the seeming third person.
    Hope is the denial of reality

It's amazing for as long as he's been on Twitter, that he hasn't learned to properly retweet people.

Obama only has a few weeks to take all our guns like we've been warned for the past decade. What a procrastinator!
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I'm gonna push back on blanket statements about what voters see as "Free Trade" (and surveys aren't a very good representation either, since they use the term so broadly, not to mention their epic failures this election), and even which party has been pro or con over the years. For the most part "trade" had bipartisan support....so long as it meant fair trade with certain protections for workers that evened the playing field, or balanced trade that took into account the wide variances between currencies and costs-of-living.

It used to be that labor unions played an important role, but since they've been dwindling for decades (many say for good reason, and good riddance) which left Congress in charge, and they've done a horrible job at finding the right balance. I've never bought into the academic love affair with Freeee Trade and Freee Markets.....when everyone knows they're really talking about managed trade, which includes regulatory controls and tax incentives.

Anyway! I'm not surprised that Trump is trying to take credit for Carrier keeping 1,000 jobs in Indiana, but I AM amazed that so many people are not only willing to give him the credit, but think it's a good idea for our President to micromanage the economy this way. If Obama had called a manufacturing CEO like Trump did, and reminded them that *cough* 10% of their business that comes from government/military contracts might be in jeopardy, Republicans would have shit their pants.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...-trump-harvard

Interesting twist on the issue steely and Enoch were discussing earlier.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

“The free market has been sorting it out and America’s been losing,” Mr. Pence added, as Mr. Trump interjected, “Every time, every time.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/bu...ence-jobs.html

Lewk, thoughts on the free market credentials of the two White House occupants?

False flag!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    “The free market has been sorting it out and America’s been losing,” Mr. Pence added, as Mr. Trump interjected, “Every time, every time.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/bu...ence-jobs.html

Lewk, thoughts on the free market credentials of the two White House occupants?
    Disappointing of course on that angle. Though it is hardly news that he's in favor of protectionism. That was one of the big reasons (far more than the silly comment he makes) why I wanted other Republicans to carry the standard for the GOP.

Somehow, I don't think you'd be as quick to dismiss a similar statement from Hillary Clinton.

And it's not news that Pence is protectionist?

Somehow, I don't think you'd be as quick to dismiss a similar statement from Hillary Clinton.

And it's not news that Pence is protectionist?
    I actually think Pence is going to do pretty much what good VPs do and follow the lead of his boss. I'm not happy about the policy position but like I said it isn't news. Hopefully the GOP congress will not simply roll over on the issue. We'll have to see.

And now Trump has managed to piss off both India and China before even taking office. This should be a great 4 years.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    India? What did the Oompa-Loompa do to piss them off? China I know of.

edit: Nevermind, found a NYTimes article which listed the stuff he trampled on without caring (or knowing).
    Last edited by Khendraja'aro; 12-03-2016 at 09:46 AM.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Can he really own Trump Tower and rent it out to the secret service?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

He has no choice if the Secret Service are to stay there, they are forbidden by law from accepting gifts and have to pay market rates. There's precedent I believe.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Well, at least he's not accepting the full salary of the president ($1 million a month rent - $400K per year) that will offset the deficit a bit at least. Still ironic (and a major conflict of interest) that we pay him to protect him.

Isn't life wonderful when the very rich swipe some crumbs of their tables for the destitute and the deplorable.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Well, at least he's not accepting the full salary of the president ($1 million a month rent - $400K per year) that will offset the deficit a bit at least. Still ironic (and a major conflict of interest) that we pay him to protect him.
    The law is crystal clear to avoid conflicts of interest of those that do the protecting must not get paid by those they are protecting. There is no alternative without a change in the law.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...-claims-232171

This is what the 2016 GOP looks like.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...-claims-232171

This is what the 2016 GOP looks like.
    *shrugs* He has to work with the guy.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

To dismantle one American institution after another. Got it.

To dismantle one American institution after another. Got it.
    Ah, I see. I thought you were whining about the main thrust of the article. Instead, with absolutely no indication that it's what you were doing, you were fixated on the fact that Ryan is Ryan and hasn't changed his budget and policy priorities to be more Democratic after Trump won the election.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Ah, I see. I thought you were whining about the main thrust of the article. Instead, with absolutely no indication that it's what you were doing, you were fixated on the fact that Ryan is Ryan and hasn't changed his budget and policy priorities to be more Democratic after Trump won the election.
    No, what I see is Ryan refusing to challenge Trump on the freaking validity of elections. How many times can the ruling party discredit the institution of elections before their supporters take note and decide political change cannot take place through that mechanism?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The law is crystal clear to avoid conflicts of interest of those that do the protecting must not get paid by those they are protecting. There is no alternative without a change in the law.
    Let me rephrase that so you might see what you haven't yet

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The law is crystal clear to avoid conflicts of interest of those that do the protecting are paying those they are protecting. There is no alternative without a change in the law.

No, what I see is Ryan refusing to challenge Trump on the freaking validity of elections. How many times can the ruling party discredit the institution of elections before their supporters take note and decide political change cannot take place through that mechanism?
    Ryan has to work with Trump. He has to work with Trump closely. He cannot do so effectively if he's calling Trump a liar every time the President-elect says something which ought to be repudiated (which is just about every other thing out of the guy's mouth). Grow up, Lewki. Being that sort of person is why everyone in the GOP hated Cruz even more than they hated Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Let me rephrase that so you might see what you haven't yet
    Benefits in kind are payments you idiot.

Try telling the IRS that they're not.

Ryan has to work with Trump. He has to work with Trump closely. He cannot do so effectively if he's calling Trump a liar every time the President-elect says something which ought to be repudiated (which is just about every other thing out of the guy's mouth). Grow up, Lewki. Being that sort of person is why everyone in the GOP hated Cruz even more than they hated Trump.
    Ryan should prioritize, and this is worth prioritizing. This lie is an attack on the legitimacy of your democracy. If unchallenged, it can have serious consequences eg. in the form of further voter suppression measures. Which would of course benefit Republicans so maybe there's another reason why Ryan is acting so spineless.

This must be why the same GOP refused to work with Obama. And again, at some point preserving democratic institutions takes precedence over being able to pass tax cuts.

Doesn't exactly mesh with your unquestioning support of scrapping democratic institutions in Italy in the other thread.