Page 83 of 171 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 5128

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Between this thread, the one khan just brought back up and our older ones its almost comical how many times supporters on this board have given the GOP the benefit of the doubt only to be proven wrong by more leaks, or direct quotes, sometimes within hours of their posting.

---

Now the GOP is going to do a horse and pony show for how badly Trump handled security at Mar-a-Lago. Any official word yet on how they plan to proceed concerning possible Russian ties? Or are they hoping the eventual "hes a greenhorn" response to Mar-a-Lago will be enough to make people forget?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Ten bucks says the pony is a Russian agent.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Between this thread, the one khan just brought back up and our older ones its almost comical how many times supporters on this board have given the GOP the benefit of the doubt only to be proven wrong by more leaks, or direct quotes, sometimes within hours of their posting.

---

Now the GOP is going to do a horse and pony show for how badly Trump handled security at Mar-a-Lago. Any official word yet on how they plan to proceed concerning possible Russian ties? Or are they hoping the eventual "hes a greenhorn" response to Mar-a-Lago will be enough to make people forget?
    Look for another (seemingly) incompetent, dumbass executive order that will rile everyone up and divert media attention away from the Russia connection. See how well the Muslim Ban did in getting attention off the Russia intervention in the election? They'll try it again, you watch.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Also, I hope all those smug "both sides are bad!" motherfuckers (you know who you are) out there feel like idiots.

/rant
    Glenn Greenwald does a better job of explaining this than I.

Excellent article.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post

It’s hard to put into words how strange it is to watch the very same people — from both parties, across the ideological spectrum — who called for the heads of Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, Tom Drake, and so many other Obama-era leakers today heap praise on those who leaked the highly sensitive, classified SIGINT information that brought down Gen. Flynn.

It’s even more surreal to watch Democrats act as though lying to the public is some grave firing offense when President Obama’s top national security official, James Clapper, got caught red-handed not only lying to the public but also to Congress — about a domestic surveillance program that courts ruled was illegal.
    This is how you know if your sense of morality is on the right track. Never attacked any of these leakers, in fact I defended what several of them did multiple times on this(or the other) board; and I (again) mentioned room 641A only a few weeks ago cause I've never let go of that.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Greenwald is characterizing the criticisms aimed at Snowden et al as 'you should never leak anything in any circumstances', because of course he is.

It is not at all inconsistent to say 'Snowden shouldn't have leaked that stuff because it damaged national security and helped Americas enemies, but it was ok for whoever leaked the Flynn stuff because they were exposing someone in the administration as (huge) national security risk - and the administration knew about it and refused to act on it'.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Funnily I don't think he was talking about that.
    Congratulations America

Greenwald is characterizing the criticisms aimed at Snowden et al as 'you should never leak anything in any circumstances', because of course he is.

It is not at all inconsistent to say 'Snowden shouldn't have leaked that stuff because it damaged national security and helped Americas enemies, but it was ok for whoever leaked the Flynn stuff because they were exposing someone in the administration as (huge) national security risk - and the administration knew about it and refused to act on it'.
    The central question being; 'what did the President know, and when did he know it?'. I.e. is the President guilty of treason?
    Congratulations America

This is how you know if your sense of morality is on the right track. Never attacked any of these leakers, in fact I defended what several of them did multiple times on this(or the other) board; and I (again) mentioned room 641A only a few weeks ago cause I've never let go of that.
    Whereas others here called him a traitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki, June 2013 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/15/wo...-his-fate.html

I think we can officially call Snowden a traitor now.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

See Steely's post for clues about how the cases differ.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Yes, Loki didn't call Snowden a traitor because he leaked, he called him a traitor because of what he leaked and the consequences it had.

(which is not a view I share, as I support what Snowden did - but you'd have to be either suffering from serious myopia or actively on maneuvers to compare the Snowden leaks to the Flynn ones)
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I see. One was a case where a leak involved showing the American public and Congress were being lied to and the other was about Flynn.

While admittedly I have not seen the content of the conversation, I somehow doubt Flynn was acting as a huge national security risk. Or do you believe that it is typical behavior for the Russian intelligence apparatus to use ambassadors to communicate secretly with their agents, using what I imagine is an insecure private cell phone?

Did he deserve to be fired, absolutely. He didn't deserve to be hired in the first place. Was it likely as serious as James Clapper lying to the American people and Congress, and the exposure of massive intelligence gathering operations on US citizens? I somehow doubt it.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 02-15-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade July 2013 View Post
    I agree best on this issue I think with Rand Paul: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...eliana-johnson

Snowden may have broken the law but I think that the public had a right to know what was going on and when Congress is being lied to on the issue its rich Loki to claim he was going against the interests of all of America's public. If the public is being spied on while Congress and the public are explicitly being told they're not then yes I think the truth is in their interests.
    Not changed my mind between then and now. If Congress is being lied to then telling the truth is in the public interest even if illegal.

I find it hilarious though rereading that thread in the context of the ongoing discussion of holding protests blocking a highway. Apparently revealing that Congress is being lied to is treasonous and not protected by free speech but saying protesters should assemble on the pavement next to a road and not on the road itself is an autocratic violation of the first amendment. I'm not convinced.

While admittedly I have not seen the content of the conversation, I somehow doubt Flynn was acting as a huge national security risk. Or do you believe that it is typical behavior for the Russian intelligence apparatus to use ambassadors to communicate secretly with their agents, using what I imagine is an insecure private cell phone?

Did he deserve to be fired, absolutely. He didn't deserve to be hired in the first place. Was it likely as serious as James Clapper lying to the American people and Congress, and the exposure of massive intelligence gathering operations on US citizens? I somehow doubt it.
    Conspiring against the sitting government of the USA is not a threath to national security? Interesting.
    Congratulations America

Did he deserve to be fired, absolutely. He likely didn't deserve to be hired in the first place. Was it likely as serious as James Clapper lying to the American people and Congress, and the exposure of massive intelligence gathering operations on US citizens? I somehow doubt it.
    Concern was that since he broke the law, he was vulnerable to blackmail by Russian intelligence. Obviously, that's something of a concern for anyone working for POTUS, let alone the National Security Adviser.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Are you really citing Greenwald, of Snowden and Breitbart fame? And you're buying a Snowden-apologist's outrage at leaks?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I see. One was a case where a leak involved showing the American public and Congress were being lied to and the other was about Flynn.
    Are you serious? Snowden leaked information about American conversations with confidential sources in dictatorships. He leaked highly classified foreign policy doctrine and analysis. You're comparing that to info that makes Trump looks bad?

Concern was that since he broke the law, he was vulnerable to blackmail by Russian intelligence. Obviously, that's something of a concern for anyone working for POTUS, let alone the National Security Adviser.
    Clapper also broke the law - a law far more significant, and enforced than the Logan Act - was he too vulnerable to blackmail by Russian intelligence?

Is there any evidence that Russian intelligence knew about the law breaking or had had any contact with Clapper?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Are you seriously citing Greenwald, of Snowden and Breitbart fame?
    Yes. I'm sorry, did you have something meaningful to add?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Are you serious? Snowden leaked information about American conversations with confidential sources in dictatorships. He leaked highly classified foreign policy doctrine and analysis. You're comparing that to info that makes Trump looks bad?
    Yes I am fully serious, Snowden leaked that after both Congress and the American public were lied to saying that this wasn't happening. Don't want your secrets revealed then don't lie to Congress, which is itself a felony.

http://www.hasjamesclapperbeenindictedyet.com/

I don't recall ever saying one word about Snowden. I talked about PRISM, and but didn't care about Snowden. And I've been sympathetic toward Manning (while acknowledging that the sympathy was useless because he didn't have a legal chance in hell). if you want to LEGALLY whistleblow, you have to go to someone with oversight who might or might not help and who will certainly take all the credit. If you want to illegally whistleblow, you puts down your money and you takes your chances.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Is there any evidence that Russian intelligence knew about the law breaking or had had any contact with Clapper?
    Absolutely, because there's evidence that everyone knows about the law breaking. Now, can we cut the faux outrage and stop pretending that one possible violation of an obscure and rarely enforced law is somehow demonstrably more serious than lying outright to both Congress and the American people?

Absolutely, because there's evidence that everyone knows about the law breaking. Now, can we cut the faux outrage and stop pretending that one possible violation of an obscure and rarely enforced law is somehow demonstrably more serious than lying outright to both Congress and the American people?
    Precisely.

Absolutely, because there's evidence that everyone knows about the law breaking.
    I... don't think you can blackmail someone by threatening to reveal something everyone already knows. That's sort of... not how blackmail works?

This blackmail line isn't something I just made up, by the way. It's what the DOJ told Trump. He did nothing, so 'someone' leaked to force the issue.

Now, can we cut the faux outrage and stop pretending that one possible violation of an obscure and rarely enforced law is somehow demonstrably more serious than lying outright to both Congress and the American people?
    Yeah, not taking a 'faux' anything charge from you, Enoch. I honestly don't recall the last time I saw you engage in a discussion with anything remotely resembling good faith.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Yes I am fully serious, Snowden leaked that after both Congress and the American public were lied to saying that this wasn't happening. Don't want your secrets revealed then don't lie to Congress, which is itself a felony.

http://www.hasjamesclapperbeenindictedyet.com/
    The American people were lied to about conversations American officials have with foreign dissidents? I have no problem with Snowden leaking details about illegal spying programs aimed at the American public. I have a problem with him leaking highly sensitive diplomatic conversations and analysis.

Yes. I'm sorry, did you have something meaningful to add?
    You're taking seriously someone who supported Snowden's leaks and is outraged by the current ones? Someone who backed Snowden before deciding to write for Breitbart? His only constant is acting in Putin's interests. And you treating him like a normal, credible source is disgraceful.

I... don't think you can blackmail someone by threatening to reveal something everyone already knows. That's sort of... not how blackmail works?
    So, just so we are clear - it is less outrageous in your eyes to protect and allow someone who has blatantly, and publicly broken a law to stay in power without any sanction, than it is to have the possibility that an obscure law, the enforcing of which has never resulted in a single conviction in over 200 years, that might have been broken could maybe used as blackmail? That's in your mind constitutes a (huge) national security risk?

While I'm open to the possibility that it could have posed a national security risk, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Yeah, not taking a 'faux' anything charge from you, Enoch. I honestly don't recall the last time I saw you engage in a discussion with anything remotely resembling good faith.
    I'm sorry, it's entirely possible you are truly outraged. If that's the case, I apologize. I just wish we could have seen this same outrage at times that weren't so politically expedient. While I know you, and others seem to believe that a Russian sleeper agent has Manchurian candidate-d his way to the presidency, and that as we speak he's having golden shower parties with Russian hookers in the Lincoln Bedroom, those of us less inclined to sensational conspiracies still need to rely on the balance of probability, and Occam's Razor. Is it possible Trump is as you fear? I am open to it. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - evidence that I have not yet seen.