Page 9 of 171 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Since this seems to have become the Republican Primary megathread (if not the 2016 megathread), it seems from the reports I'm reading here is that the big winner of the latest debate was Fiorina, but I've no idea why. Is that right and if so why?
    I read somewhere that she 'won', but also that fact checkers said a lot of what she said was false. How is that winning if you're making stuff up?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

polls. This is what makes the GOP primary such a disaster. They have to lie lie lie to get their base to vote, then their platform falls apart in the general election.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

“I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.”
    That's just kinda...wtf?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...1WX?li=AAa0dzB
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    polls. This is what makes the GOP primary such a disaster. They have to lie lie lie to get their base to vote, then their platform falls apart in the general election.
    Unlike Democrats, who've been promising higher benefits for all, higher minimum wages, and everything else under the sun for the last half a century.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Unlike Democrats, who've been promising higher benefits for all, higher minimum wages, and everything else under the sun for the last half a century.
    They do, at least, try to make it come true.

I was going to say I don't think that's a GOP thing. I think it's more the media's fault to be honest, they ought to be calling out lies, along critical questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    They do, at least, try to make it come true.
    No, they really don't. What has Obama accomplished other than his healthcare legislation? What did Clinton do? Other than cutting welfare? It's all talk. Where are the banking regulations? The higher minimum wages? The lower pension ages? The higher benefits. The Democrats (the politicians anyway) know full well how disastrous most of their policies are if adopted in anything more than a symbolic fashion.

No, they really don't. What has Obama accomplished other than his healthcare legislation? What did Clinton do? Other than cutting welfare? It's all talk. Where are the banking regulations? The higher minimum wages? The lower pension ages? The higher benefits. The Democrats (the politicians anyway) know full well how disastrous most of their policies are if adopted in anything more than a symbolic fashion.
    Well, to begin with,
    President Obama finally ended 4 decades of stupid diplomacy by, through executive action of course, opening diplomatic relations again with Cuba - Dec 2014
    Lots more where that came from...http://myesoteric.hubpages.com/hub/W...ree-Years-LOTS

As for Clinton well, I guess NAFTA is no big deal, eh?

Didn't Clinton sign NAFTA sort of despite being a Democrat not because of it? He was distinguishing himself as a New Democrat rather than an old one, after an era of Republican dominance.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    As for Clinton well, I guess NAFTA is no big deal, eh?
    Wait, are you saying that diplomacy and free trade are left wing policies?

Wait, are you saying that diplomacy and free trade are left wing policies?
    Lewk is that you?

In case you missed the obvious, the Democrats campaigned AGAINST free trade, and diplomacy isn't a left/right issue (it also isn't an issue that the voters particularly care about).

Well to be fair there have been more banking regulations. Most of which are counterproductive but hey I do think many Democratic politicians have actually drank the kool-aide and are trying to pass even more cumbersome regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Well to be fair there have been more banking regulations. Most of which are counterproductive but hey I do think many Democratic politicians have actually drank the kool-aide and are trying to pass even more cumbersome regulations.
    Banking regulations that were less onerous than the Glass-Steagall Act that Clinton helped repeal.

It would be interesting to see what Democrats do when they control the house, the Senate and the oval office simultaneously
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Like they did in 2009?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

No I mean like a study that looks at their record over time. If you really want to learn what they really believe in the darkest recesses of their liberal hearts by looking at their actions then surely it would be more informative to look at what they do when they can do almost anything they want.

Like in 2009? Or 1993?

Isn't that what I said?

Like in 2009? Or 1993?
    Out of curiosity, what did they pass those times? And republicans when they were in a similar position?

Like in 2009? Or 1993?
    And any other time, it would be nice to see an analysis

And btw, just how great a majority did they have in 2009 and for how long? I seem to recall something about that being a factoid of sorts.

http://cjonline.com/blog-post/lucind...irst-two-years

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/did...-for-how-long/

http://sandiegofreepress.org/2012/09...cratic-senate/

Complicates the analysis a little esp. if it turns out that "Democrat" isn't a synonym for "Borg".

This was pretty interesting btw:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...ways-that-way/

There was a big spike in the number of bills ignored by the Senate -- when it was Democrats who controlled both chambers.

I don't doubt that more legislation gets passed when one party controls the presidency and Congress. What I do doubt is the willingness of the DNC leadership to pass substantially left-wing legislation when they are in that position. Obamacare is about the only thing Democrats have to show for their control of those branches for 2 years. In '93, the Democrats couldn't even manage that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    And btw, just how great a majority did they have in 2009 and for how long? I seem to recall something about that being a factoid of sorts.

http://cjonline.com/blog-post/lucind...irst-two-years

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/did...-for-how-long/

http://sandiegofreepress.org/2012/09...cratic-senate/

Complicates the analysis a little esp. if it turns out that "Democrat" isn't a synonym for "Borg".
    Every single one of those is wrong. Because you don't actually need 60 if you don't have the full 100 senators anyway, even if we ignore cloture. The article trying to make a point of the independents only leaning Dem rather than being Dem is itself absolutely ridiculous since they're referring to figures like Lieberman, a Dem vice-presidential candidate. They're nominally independent because of their state party's (and only temporarily so) rather than in any real sense. It's true that Democrat is not a synonym for Borg of course. Party discipline in the US is shockingly low by European standards. But it doesn't mean all that much. There is always constant politics within a party just as there are between parties, they're just more opaque and hard to see.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Banking regulations that were less onerous than the Glass-Steagall Act that Clinton helped repeal.
    I'm talking about the 'consumer protections' created in Frank-Dodd that are counterproductive.

In any event I'm trying to wrap my head around your theory it seems to go something along the lines of:

"Democrats are populists who don't believe in their stated policies and are tricking people into voting for them and then not carrying out what they promised." Is that what you are saying?

Either they (the DNC leadership; the people on the ground probably do believe the crap) don't believe in their own policies or they think the consequences of implementing them will be so disastrous politically that they don't bother trying. The result is the same. One could make a similar argument about the GOP and its abortion policies (though some of the recently elected Republicans forgot to read the memo it seems).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Every single one of those is wrong. Because you don't actually need 60 if you don't have the full 100 senators anyway, even if we ignore cloture. The article trying to make a point of the independents only leaning Dem rather than being Dem is itself absolutely ridiculous since they're referring to figures like Lieberman, a Dem vice-presidential candidate. They're nominally independent because of their state party's (and only temporarily so) rather than in any real sense. It's true that Democrat is not a synonym for Borg of course. Party discipline in the US is shockingly low by European standards. But it doesn't mean all that much. There is always constant politics within a party just as there are between parties, they're just more opaque and hard to see.
    If you're having a hard time figuring out what the hell being a Republican means, I'll agree. You may not think it means much in the grand scheme of things, but that's where I'll disagree.

The US is predominantly a two-party political system. When the leading candidate for the Republican party is overtly bigoted, but claims he can't be bought by lobbyists or special interest groups because he's self-funded....that doesn't bode well for our two-party system. Does it?

Trump 2016 and kanye 2020?

I think that the world can be helped through design. Because we don’t just sit up there and read the fucking [look] board. We look at it and we ask hours and hours and hours of questions, and the better people that you have in the room and the more information you have, the better opportunity you have of making a great decision and of creating a great proposal that people will connect to. I want everyone to win. When I run for president, I’d prefer not to run against someone. I would be like “I want to work with you.” As soon as I heard [Ben] Carson speak, I tried for three weeks to get on the phone with him. I was like this is the most brilliant guy. And I think all the people running right now have something that each of the others needs. But the idea of this separation and this gladiator battle takes away from the main focus that the world needs help and the world needs all the people in a position of power or influence to come together.

Sounds like a presidential stump speech to me. Are you still thinking of running in 2020?

Oh, definitely.

hen you said that at the V.M.A.s, I thought the reaction was surprising. People didn’t seem to dismiss the idea. You would have thought there would be more of an outcry.

Especially from the six years of this misconception or the six years I went through of “We don’t like Kanye.” And then as soon as I said that, it was like, “Wait a second, we would really be into that, because actually if you think about it, he’s extremely thoughtful. Every time he’s ever gotten in trouble, he was really jumping in front of a bullet for someone else. He’s probably the most honest celebrity that we have.” I didn’t approach that because I thought it would be fun. It wasn’t like, Oh, let’s go rent some jet skis in Hawaii. No, the exact opposite. I sit in clubs and I’m like, Wow, I’ve got five years before I go and run for office and I’ve got a lot of research to do, I’ve got a lot of growing up to do. My dad has two masters degrees. My mom has a PhD, she used to work at Operation PUSH. Somehow the more and more creative I get, the closer and closer I get to who I was as a child. When I was a child, I was holding my mom’s hand at Operation PUSH. I think it’s time. Rap is great.

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2015...on-2-interview

Wow!

http://www.inquisitr.com/2615435/don...op-candidates/

Anybody but Clinton I guess...

He's still losing badly by traditional metrics. My money is on Cruz (worse than Trump) or Rubio.