Page 95 of 171 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 5128

Thread: TRUMP 2016

That's a Serbian domain name that you've linked to. Must be take news ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Reuters or Twitter?

Gorsuch nomination should be interesting. If Democrats actually try to filibuster I see the 'nuclear' option being used.

So I've been reading through the full transcript from the House Committee interview of the NSA Chief and FBI Director. Near the end, one of the Dems points out that Trump had just tweeted (inaccurate) statements about answers they've given, and challenged them to confirm or deny whether the President was being honest.

How can anyone actually deal with serving under this guy? He's actively screwing you even while you're in the middle of testifying to Congress.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Reuters or Twitter?
    Reut.rs - .rs is a Serbian domain, must be fake ...
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Sounds like British tabloid conspiracy.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    So I've been reading through the full transcript from the House Committee interview of the NSA Chief and FBI Director. Near the end, one of the Dems points out that Trump had just tweeted (inaccurate) statements about answers they've given, and challenged them to confirm or deny whether the President was being honest.

How can anyone actually deal with serving under this guy? He's actively screwing you even while you're in the middle of testifying to Congress.
    I've wondered about this as well, but I think that for the holdovers from previous appointments (including Comey) they have the choice between hunkering down and dealing with it or leaving in a huff and potentially being replaced by a bozo. I imagine they're choosing to try to keep the government more or less functioning while Trump goes on his bizarre crusades in the hope that they can limit the damage. Thankless, but perhaps important.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Something about beds and having to lie in them?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

By chance i saw that live on cnn so i thought that was fake also interesting how the GOP members appeared to distance the party from any alleged pro Russian actions (actually calling their platform anti-Russia iirc). All over pretty interesting to see one of these sessions, only saw them in fiction or excerpts on the news so far.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I've wondered about this as well, but I think that for the holdovers from previous appointments (including Comey) they have the choice between hunkering down and dealing with it or leaving in a huff and potentially being replaced by a bozo. I imagine they're choosing to try to keep the government more or less functioning while Trump goes on his bizarre crusades in the hope that they can limit the damage. Thankless, but perhaps important.
    By sticking around and defending the indefensible, they've become the bozos.
    Hope is the denial of reality

By sticking around and defending the indefensible, they've become the bozos.
    Is that true, though? Is Comey a bozo? Admiral Rogers? For that matter, are they defending the Trump administration? It seems to me that they are walking the fine line between outright insubordination and telling the truth. I would much prefer that our major non-elected positions stay in the hands of people who are qualified to do the job rather than whatever nutjob Trump finds. Remember this is the president who has Bannon and Gorka as major advisers on national security issues.

I admit that they are in an unenviable position, but I would prefer that reasonable and qualified people stay in their jobs and try to limit the damage rather than ceding the entire executive branch to authoritarian, anti-intellectual, populist mockeries of 'leadership'. They are hardly collaborators if they continue to do their jobs well. In fact, my fondest hope is that the federal bureaucracy has so much inertia and professionalism that Trump can't do much to affect it.

I will admit that there are some points where someone needs to take a stand - an AG refusing to defend a law they deem unconstitutional, etc. But in the absence of being forced to make such a choice, I think that appointed officials and employees should try to limit the damage rather than dissociating themselves from this trainwreck entirely. Because like it or not, it's our government, and we're stuck with this clown for another four years at a minimum. We can't just 'walk away'.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Precisely.

Agreed. Although a this rate I'm not sure we'll be stuck with this clown for another 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Is that true, though? Is Comey a bozo? Admiral Rogers? For that matter, are they defending the Trump administration? It seems to me that they are walking the fine line between outright insubordination and telling the truth. I would much prefer that our major non-elected positions stay in the hands of people who are qualified to do the job rather than whatever nutjob Trump finds. Remember this is the president who has Bannon and Gorka as major advisers on national security issues.

I admit that they are in an unenviable position, but I would prefer that reasonable and qualified people stay in their jobs and try to limit the damage rather than ceding the entire executive branch to authoritarian, anti-intellectual, populist mockeries of 'leadership'. They are hardly collaborators if they continue to do their jobs well. In fact, my fondest hope is that the federal bureaucracy has so much inertia and professionalism that Trump can't do much to affect it.

I will admit that there are some points where someone needs to take a stand - an AG refusing to defend a law they deem unconstitutional, etc. But in the absence of being forced to make such a choice, I think that appointed officials and employees should try to limit the damage rather than dissociating themselves from this trainwreck entirely. Because like it or not, it's our government, and we're stuck with this clown for another four years at a minimum. We can't just 'walk away'.
    Are you serious about Comey? He did more than any other person to get Trump elected (intentionally or not). And yes, they are bozos. They're partaking in the unwise and occasionally unconstitutional actions. They're using their knowledge to get those policies passed (when possible) and using their reputation to legitimize those actions within the GOP. They're helping create a new normal where going after Muslims, Hispanics, foreigners, the press, etc. is acceptable. So sure, they're limiting the damage today while creating the conditions that will lead to far more damage down the line, particularly if the next Trump isn't quite so freaking incompetent.

People really need to wake up and realize that democratic norms are just as important (in fact, more so) in keeping a democracy alive than democratic institutions. If it becomes acceptable to ignore or even attack democratic institutions, we'll end up in Venezuela or Hungary territory within a generation. Dumb policies can (usually) be reversed. A loss of faith in democracy and its rules of the game is much, much harder to reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Agreed. Although a this rate I'm not sure we'll be stuck with this clown for another 4 years
    I don't see him resigning, he seems in decent health, the secret service are pretty good at what they do and Presidents don't really leave office for other reasons. So I think we are

If there was ever a reason to invoke the 25th amendment...

Are you serious about Comey? He did more than any other person to get Trump elected (intentionally or not). And yes, they are bozos.
    Except for Clinton and whichever geniuses decided not campaigning in swing states in order to portray strength was a great strategy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b058ce7aa8b861
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...n-trump-232547
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...al_states.html
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/clinto...6-11?r=US&IR=T

I maintain that a halfway decent Democrat would have beaten Trump.

If there was ever a reason to invoke the 25th amendment...
    He's not died or resigned, the Veep hasn't died or resigned, he's not named himself temporarily incapable.

Which just leaves the Veep and a majority of the executive declaring he's unable to discharge the powers and duties of the office. Don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    He's not died or resigned, the Veep hasn't died or resigned, he's not named himself temporarily incapable.

Which just leaves the Veep and a majority of the executive declaring he's unable to discharge the powers and duties of the office. Don't see that happening.
    Or impeachment by congress which you've forgotten.

Or maybe he'll get bored of it and resign!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Or impeachment by congress which you've forgotten.

Or maybe he'll get bored of it and resign!
    Is impeachment part of the 25th? I thought it pre-dated that?

Does he look bored?

It's obvious to any neutral observer that Trump cannot discharge the powers and duties of the office. All it would take is one truly disastrous policy and half the cabinet reaching the same realization.

If the GOP does this after February 2019, Pence can be president for 10 years. Pretty strong incentive.

I called that from the get go. Question is if Mr. Ryan can wait till he is 60 before he gets his turn.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Does he look bored?
    Impeachment is from the original Constitution. The 25th is the order of succession and the "unable to discharge duties" as a trigger for succession. 22nd is also coming up in this thread now, as that's the one that sets term limits.
    Last edited by Wraith; 03-21-2017 at 07:24 PM.

By the way what was interesting (and potentially troubling) was what Comey said about informing Congress. First he mentioned there were quarterly meetings to inform the chairman and ranking member of the intelligence committee about current counterintelligence investigations, but then be added that they did not inform then about the Trump investigation until recently because they considered it politically sensitive. Which begs the question why the also politically sensitive investigation into hillary was publicly revealed and this one not even to this committee. And what I find a bit troubling is that they basically decide themselves what to reveal to who without oversight.

Sorry, should have quoted this one.
    I don't see him resigning, he seems in decent health, the secret service are pretty good at what they do and Presidents don't really leave office for other reasons. So I think we are
    The obvious one that left office for 'other reasons' would be Nixon of je hadn't resigned to avoid being impeached of course. This time we're two months in and the FBI reveals they're investigating his campaign, so who knows. It could all just blow over but I'm not putting any money on him staying in office the full term either.

Are you serious about Comey? He did more than any other person to get Trump elected (intentionally or not).
    The Republican Party and Hillary Clinton did far more than any other person to get Trump elected. Regardless, I disagree with some of the choices that Comey has made - notably his letter shortly before the election regarding the Clinton email thing - but I think you'd have trouble finding people who seriously doubt his commitment to his job and his professionalism. People were complaining about Comey being anti-Trump back when cleared Clinton on the email scandal and recently when he has very clearly contradicted statements made by the president, but others lambasted him for a pro-Trump bias based on his handling of the late Clinton emails and some issues regarding Trump's own behavior that was under investigation. I think he was trying to walk a fine line between appearing to withhold information and appearing to interfere with an election by releasing information. I don't think he struck the right balance, but he was in a difficult position and likely would have gotten it wrong no matter how he juggled things. People who have worked with him have pretty high praise for his professionalism and skill, even when they might disagree with some of his actions. I find this encouraging. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he can't do the job, and do it reasonably well.

And yes, they are bozos. They're partaking in the unwise and occasionally unconstitutional actions. They're using their knowledge to get those policies passed (when possible) and using their reputation to legitimize those actions within the GOP. They're helping create a new normal where going after Muslims, Hispanics, foreigners, the press, etc. is acceptable. So sure, they're limiting the damage today while creating the conditions that will lead to far more damage down the line, particularly if the next Trump isn't quite so freaking incompetent.

People really need to wake up and realize that democratic norms are just as important (in fact, more so) in keeping a democracy alive than democratic institutions. If it becomes acceptable to ignore or even attack democratic institutions, we'll end up in Venezuela or Hungary territory within a generation. Dumb policies can (usually) be reversed. A loss of faith in democracy and its rules of the game is much, much harder to reverse.
    Loki, I'm honestly curious: do you think matters would be better if we had real bozos (like some of our current cabinet members) in high civil service positions instead of the current crop? If, say, DJT had decided to let the US Attorneys stay in their jobs indefinitely, do you think they should have resigned en masse and let themselves be replaced by whatever street sweepings the administration could find? Should ambassadors and other high ranking civil servants resign and let DJT put in whatever unqualified hacks he wants? How will this make our faith in democratic norms and institutions any stronger?

I think there is a clear distinction between people in high civil service positions continuing to do their jobs - inasmuch as they believe their tasks to be legal and constitutional - and people actively joining the administration, such as current cabinet picks and other nominated positions. I have nothing but contempt for those GOP congressmen and senators who are burying their heads in the sand and actively assisting the Trump administration in deflecting attention from important issues like the Russia mess in order to achieve their legislative agenda (and grudging respect for those who are refusing to do so). But people like the current Director of the NSA weren't put there by Trump, and they have every reason to try to keep the government functioning - and providing important advice to the executive branch. I think the continued functioning and professionalism of our bureaucracy is one of the ways to safeguard our institutions from the kind of patronage and authoritarian behavior Trump seems to exhibit.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

If you're a millionaire, the AHCA gives you $50K. If you're poor, it costs you $1,420.

Wonder how much effort it takes to get things this wrong and to be this backwards on something so important.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...llusion-236386

The way this is unfolding, its like someone set a trap for Nunes and the dumbass walked right into it. This is all about to get extremely interesting. We aren't even a hundred days in yet.