Page 98 of 171 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,940 of 5128

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Pretty sure being concerned about politicians accidentally doing a seemingly good thing for extremely bad reasons has to do with more than just the question of their worthiness.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

What else has it got to do with?

Unless you were operating under the assumption politicians (especially those you disagree with) have the best of intentions and wouldn't the right thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Trump just went on a deranged twitter rampage. We're one tweet away from a nuclear war.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Please explain.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

4-5 tweets in half an hour. All some combination of conspiratorial and insane.

How'd you go from one tweet to nuclear war?

At 5 tweets in half an hour and if we're one tweet from nuclear war then we are facing nuclear war in six minutes. Though you posted that over six minutes ago.

Randblade currently:
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I'm a superhero? Never read those comics or seen that film.

you're making this to easy

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Most politicians are bad people, on any side of an aisle. It tends to go with professional egomania. So? What does that have to do with people Trump lickspittles or interfering with the actual enactment of whatever his agenda is? That WAS the topic to which you made your earlier response, if you'll recall.
    When are you going to grow out of this 'both sides, lol' thing? It was ridiculous even in the Bush era, but now it's just outright denial.

You'd rather defeat came at the hands of the ideologically pure, I get that, we've had that part of the discussion repeatedly over years. It's not just naive, it's politically ignorant. Democracies do not, can not function that way, no matter what their structure. No matter what the policy or issue is, you are never going to be able to get a majority that not only takes the correct position but does so for the same reason in their hearts that you have.
    You're speaking to someone who supported the Lib Dems going into coalition with the Tories and continues to do so, so this is an absolutely ridiculous line to take.

The trouble is your idyllic view of politics as the art of gentlemanly compromise and moderation between well meaning but ideologically driven people with fundamentally clashing principles producing some virtuous mean thanks to the robust nature of US political institutions completely falls down when one side (the Republican side, to be clear) has now gone so far beyond the pale as to become actively malicious and possibly even treasonous and b) US political institutions aren't as robust as you like to think they are.

We have indeed had this discussion many times over the years, I've repeatedly said that direction the Republican party was taking, with it's growing populism and anti-intellectualism was extremely dangerous and you were always, like, "nah, it'll be fine because something something the golden mean".

Well guess what?

In short, it's not me whose naive, it's you. Your faith in the US political process is and has been naive.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    When are you going to grow out of this 'both sides, lol' thing? It was ridiculous even in the Bush era, but now it's just outright denial.
    Sometime after you cut out the faux righteousness and acknowledge that you're engaged in demonization. That your side is holy and the political opposition is actively malevolent. Bad people are figures like Foley and Weiner, ones seeking sexual contact with minors or abusing their office.

You're speaking to someone who supported the Lib Dems going into coalition with the Tories and continues to do so, so this is an absolutely ridiculous line to take.
    Easy to say as an abstract generalization but when it comes to the nitty gritty it never seems to come out that way.

The trouble is your idyllic view of politics as the art of gentlemanly compromise and moderation
    There's nothing gentlemanly about it, and you're at least as blind as you accuse me of being if you think anything I've said ever goes to such an idea. Power and leverage play large roles and while arm-twisting isn't typically the norm (not when bribes in the form of cheap constituency service are so easy to provide) it has a place as well. Again, for both sides.

between well meaning but ideologically driven people with fundamentally clashing principles
    Oh, most politicians aren't ideologues. Look at Nunes, nothing ideological there. Of course, plenty of them are beholden to people who ARE ideologues (people for whom it is easy to be one since they don't actually have to produce something through the byzantine negotiations involved in actual governance) and have to try and meet the expectations laid on them if they're going to continue enjoying that support which is so valuable for reelection (and, for those who see the writing on the wall of their political careers, possibly their future lucrative employment as lobbyists).

completely falls down when one side (the Republican side, to be clear) has now gone so far beyond the pale as to become actively malicious and possibly even treasonous and b) US political institutions aren't as robust as you like to think they are.
    And there we go. "The people who don't agree with me are evil." Some of them are ideologues (and hence are stupid). Many of them are venal. And the worst of those (not in Congress, I suspect, but perhaps a few in the administration) may have let their greed and ambition push them into something which is actually traitorous (though none of that group will be among the Freedom Caucus who you claimed you were ranting about, they're the ones who are just stupid). But that doesn't stop you from conflating them all into one undifferentiated mass of WRONG.

We have indeed had this discussion many times over the years, I've repeatedly said that direction the Republican party was taking, with it's growing populism and anti-intellectualism was extremely dangerous and you were always, like, "nah, it'll be fine because something something the golden mean".

Well guess what?

In short, it's not me whose naive, it's you. Your faith in the US political process is and has been naive.
    Which again leads me to ask that question you still haven't answered: what material harm do you allege was inflicted here? Thump that chest, Steely, pound the table. Let loose all that outrage. Sound and fury, signifying nothing.
    I do not the Alber-arguing, though. First it was the Freedom Caucus, then it was the Congressional GOP, and now I imagine you're going to broaden again to the entire party, as you grasp for that "material harm" to hang things on. Maybe mention that Oklahoma state legislator?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Like so many posts in this thread, one gets the sense that this exchange is going to age like fine wine as more information about the election and the Trump administration comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Sometime after you cut out the faux righteousness and acknowledge that you're engaged in demonization. That your side is holy and the political opposition is actively malevolent. Bad people are figures like Foley and Weiner, ones seeking sexual contact with minors or abusing their office.
    Calling a spade a spade is not 'demonisation'. The Republican party is irredeemable at this point.

Easy to say as an abstract generalization but when it comes to the nitty gritty it never seems to come out that way.
    How is a specific example an abstract generalisation? It is literally the exact opposite of that.

And there we go. "The people who don't agree with me are evil."
    Cease all pearl clutching related activity immediately.

Some of them are ideologues (and hence are stupid). Many of them are venal. And the worst of those (not in Congress, I suspect, but perhaps a few in the administration) may have let their greed and ambition push them into something which is actually traitorous (though none of that group will be among the Freedom Caucus who you claimed you were ranting about, they're the ones who are just stupid). But that doesn't stop you from conflating them all into one undifferentiated mass of WRONG.
    You just listed all the ways that they're wrong, and your issue is that I called them wrong? You'd like me to be more granular about the ways the different bits of the Republican party are wrong, like the moderates are spineless cowards, the teapers are doctrinaire imbeciles, the Trumpites are fascists and traitors, the religious right are empathy-deficient scum... that sort of thing?

Which again leads me to ask that question you still haven't answered: what material harm do you allege was inflicted here?
    I have answered it, there was no material harm, but not want of trying and that makes the Republican party, in it's entirety and also as an institution, shitheads, for what they just tried to pull.

Thump that chest, Steely, pound the table. Let loose all that outrage. Sound and fury, signifying nothing.
    Sounds a lot like this whole line of argument you're trying to make. Still don't really understand what point you're trying to make. Other than 'strong opinions make me uneasy'.

I do not the Alber-arguing, though. First it was the Freedom Caucus, then it was the Congressional GOP, and now I imagine you're going to broaden again to the entire party, as you grasp for that "material harm" to hang things on. Maybe mention that Oklahoma state legislator?
    I think you may have genuinely misunderstood my point. It was always aboutthe entire Republican party.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

We need to crowdsource the funds to purchase this customer data then datamine the shit out of it and release everything we can find from the politicians.

Watch how fast the law gets changed again.
    https://searchinternethistory.com/

Highlights from Trump's favorite TV show: Fox and Friends

https://streamable.com/rdsuw

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The 265 members of Congress who sold you out to ISPs, and how much it cost to buy them
    Every single vote for this was from a Republican.

Kind of surprised Dread didn't defend this yet with another "it will help my grandma check her email" post.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-29-2017 at 03:32 PM.

The 265 members of Congress who sold you out to ISPs, and how much it cost to buy them
    Every single vote for this was from a Republican.

Kind of surprised Dread didn't defend this yet with another "it will help my grandma check her email" post.
    Hmm, some of them are remarkably cheap - can we start a Patreon or kickstarter to get a Trump impeachment before 2019?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Putin will be their most valued customer. Now he won't even have to infect computers with malware
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    What I meant was, Democratic senators who previously looked at him as a stand up dude who made a wrong call might start to give him the side eye now that this new information about the Trump investigation has come to light.

I don't necessarily disagree with your interpretation of his behavior, though I think it's something he needs to make an account of.
    Make of this what you will:

http://www.newsweek.com/fbi-director...lection-576417
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Regardless of how much of that is true, Obama certainly didn't appreciate the full extent of the threat, nor did he take the prospect of Trump winning the election seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    So, at long last, I can join the chorus. "Gee, thanks Obama! "
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/u...e-reports.html

That explains why Trump has been nonstop attacking the NYT on twitter for the past 3 days. The big boys are toying with Trump and he has gotten so bent out of shape that he even suggested that libel laws need changed.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-31-2017 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    That looks like a trap.

For whom?

"He has made the offer to the FBI and the House and Senate intelligence committees through his lawyer but has so far found no takers, the officials said."

I'll wager he's either got nothing on Trump, nothing they don't already have from other sources, or they're real keen to prosecute him.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

"When you are given immunity, that means you have probably committed a crime,"

-Flynn

oh and Blackwater is involved, because of course it is

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.cd5d35dfede4

Looks like the writing staff on this season of America have been playing a lot of Deus Ex games.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come