Thread: TRUMP 2016

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    You know very well what happens in Syria impacts America. From Refugees to proliferation of certain types of weapons to ISIS there are impacts. What the right call to make is not always clear (in fact I started a thread about it awhile back where Wiggin provided a lot of interesting context succinctly).
    Remind me why America should care what kind of chemical weapons Syria has or uses except to the extent it violates international law? Were those weapons going to be used against Americans?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Remind me why America should care what kind of chemical weapons Syria has or uses except to the extent it violates international law? Were those weapons going to be used against Americans?
    It is in the world's interest that chemical weapons not be used with frequency. Ultimately what I am more concerned about is America's reputation and ability to force other countries to compliance via said reputation. I can see value in America drawing the line and saying 'cross it and you fucked.' That was a major problem I had with Obama's actions in Syria. They were tepid and when lines were crossed he didn't effectively deter Syria's defiance.

Either America says "We don't like chemical weapons but not our business" or "We don't tolerate chemical weapons." One could argue what is the appropriate response A or B. However no one can justify declaring B and then not enforcing it.