Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
Middle of class. Students carrying signs shouting and disrupting. The students should be in class, so they are cutting class, flaunting the rules and basically saying 'yeah we're doing this watcha gonna do about it?.' Yeah damn right I think them being expelled makes sense.
No, I said walking in hallways, not middle of class. High School hallways are usually loud, with some type of shouting, since it's a throng of teenagers changing classes and socializing along the way. I don't believe for a minute that you'd expel cheerleaders for carrying signs and shouting 'team spirit' in the hallways.

You interpreted the two scenarios the same way, even though they're vastly different, because you have an authoritarian bias. Then you use that to wiggle out of any deeper discussion about free speech and its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
snip
That's without the fact that some knobheads just shout at anyone with whatever is insulting and most [in]appropriate. If someone is trying to rob someone and says eg "give me your wallet you [slur here]" then is that a hate crime? Or is it just a crime? I've been called queer or fag or other similar insults a number of times despite not being gay (and now wearing a wedding ring though that doesn't mean anything I suppose) - including by some who've done criminal damage on my property. That's just a meaningless insult to me but if I was gay I could call it a hate crime. Now I don't for a second think it was because of that rather than because of them being chavs but if I said it was then it would be by the CPS definition. If a group is feeling targeted by what's in the news and then some chavs attack them and say something inappropriate then is that a hate crime? If they think so in the UK then yes it is.
Seems to me you're mixing violence and speech, in the same way Lewk conflates rules and rule-breakers....which doesn't do a damn thing to address the underlying issue of bias. The UK and US might have different legal definitions of Hate Speech or Hate Crimes, but we shouldn't get so caught up in that rhetoric that we ignore/deny that racism exists!