Page 34 of 171 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 5128

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Click to view the full version

and lets throw in Ryan's picture bragging about his room full of white interns too...

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Well, that party convention exploded rather spectacularly.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36851979
    And that there is why, as awful as Trump is, Ted Cruz would have actually been a worse choice for President. If you want to be an ideologue, go be a shock-jock or an editorialist. Politics is about negotiation, compromise, and accepting when you've lost (and when you've won). Cruz things those are all dirty "liberal" words.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I just spent some time learning about Jeff Flake, and I have to say, the GOP needs more people like him. He has toed a careful line - he hasn't embraced Never Trump or other divisive and doomed initiatives (a la Ben Sasse), but he hasn't hidden his sharp policy disagreements with him, including a rather public confrontation a few weeks back when they met. At the same time, he has championed a principled and thoughtful challenge to Clinton's candidacy, notably arguing against loaded rhetoric wrt jailing her for her 'crimes' but instead focusing on substantive policy disagreements. Meanwhile he is clearly keeping an eye on messaging with a broad appeal and has been willing to vote as needed to shore up that pseudo-moderate image (he is by no means a centrist, in my reading - but he is not an ideologue either). It's kind of embarrassing that you need a junior senator to lead the way on this, though.

That, and he has a good sense of humor: when asked why he couldn't attend the RNC this week, he said he would be 'mowing his lawn'. By far the best non-excuse out there.

I am very curious to see how this is going to shake out after the (likely) Trump defeat in the general - will the postmortem be heeded in any way (AIUI the postmortem after the Romney campaign in 2012 was largely ignored)? Will the reluctant supporters of Trump (e.g. Ryan and other party bigwigs) change their tune or their future approach to these sorts of things? Are the 'principled' opposition to Trump - most visibly Cruz - going to have increased stature in the party come 2020? I desperately want the GOP to fix their messaging and platform - spend far less time on divisive wedge issues about which they can do relatively little, and spend much more time focusing on well-crafted policies that provide a contrast to Democratic priorities. Use obstruction in the House more judiciously when it really matters, and forge consensus and compromise with Dems on easy things. Champion policies that should be core GOP issues - free trade, say, or appropriately limited government, or fiscal discipline, or principled foreign policy. Reach out to the demographics who currently wouldn't dream of voting for a Republican. Convince Hispanics that Reagan was right - they are Republicans who don't know it yet. Appeal to women on a broad range of issues. Etc.

There are a lot of Republican lawmakers - especially but not exclusively in the Senate - who seem like decent, thoughtful people who have a good handle on policy issues and some decent ideas of how to improve our government. They need to spend less time locked in zero-sum partisan bickering and rebrand their party. I live in a deeply blue state that only elects Republicans who are broadly reasonable (but we do elect Republicans for a variety of local and statewide positions). What's depressing is that it's so hard for these Republicans to gain traction in the national party without slewing to the right on a variety of shibboleths - which in turn makes them lose in elections here to very progressive Democrats (a la Warren). If only the GOP could fix itself...
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Jeff Flake is the guy wants the NSF to defund political science because there have been some studies that made his party look bad. He wants direct governmental control over the scientific process. No thanks.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Jeff Flake is the guy wants the NSF to defund political science because there have been some studies that made his party look bad. He wants direct governmental control over the scientific process. No thanks.
    And not even in the top ten...

http://theantimedia.org/10-vote-besides-trump-hillary/
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Along the lines of the Hazir hint...

Sorry for the add but I'm feeling lazy.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...6B&FORM=VRDGAR
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Well I tried to research it but apparently they aren't able to keep their website up...

Research what?

Research what?
    http://www.nsf.gov/

I dunno if they can't keep a website up should we really be funding this? :0

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I dunno if they can't keep a website up should we really be funding this? :0
    You could see it as a sign they need more funding
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

That is their stated reason for shutting down the site.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/statu...15704495955968 Lewk's idol being a racist for Trump.

Trump just explicitly called on Russia to hack the US State Department...

Trump just explicitly called on Russia to hack the US State Department...
    Well Trump and Putin do seem to be cut from the same cloth. I could totally see them being BFFs.

It will make political hay but I doubt there will be any charges coming.

If I said that, I'd never be able to get a security clearance.

If I said that, I'd never be able to get a security clearance.
    To be fair, if you hosted your own email server and stored confidential information on it in direct violation of the security policy and best practices of the State Department, ultimately resulting in an unofficial sanction from the FBI director, you likely wouldn't be able to get security clearance either.

Incompetence is slightly more forgivable than treason.

Incompetence is slightly more forgivable than treason.
    Security clearance is a binary thing.

So is treason
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    So is treason
    I don't think you'll find me defending Donald Trump.

I'm starting to wonder if the GOP strategy is to get Trump elected, allow the Democrats to impeach him, and end up with a Pence presidency.

Let's hope that's executed about as well as their strategy to stop Trump in the primaries.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

And now there's evidence that Russian trolls are posing as Trump supporters to promote him.

http://www.businessinsider.com/russi...d-trump-2016-7

I'm starting to wonder if the GOP strategy is to get Trump elected, allow the Democrats to impeach him, and end up with a Pence presidency.
    Sorry but with how badly he has embarrassed the party I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few of them have had wet dreams of assassination.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Well, short of Trump pulling a Harrison impression, it's just about the best they can hope for.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

You know... Trump would likely have a better chance of getting convicted in the senate than most previous presidents. I'd wager most Republicans in the there would prefer Pence over Trump.