Page 93 of 171 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 5128

Thread: TRUMP 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Well, when he puts wire tapping in quotes like that it makes it looks like he's using the term as a euphemism, sooo maybe?
    Since there wasn't any surveillance that would even fall under the term as a euphemism, I don't see that it matters much.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Maybe he was using a "euphemism".
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Pretty sure that was a direct response to the 'fascism REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE' in this country we don't arrest people for speaking out against the government whereas in other countries that don't have freedom of speech...

No, we just threaten to sue them into bankruptcy.
    Hope is the denial of reality

No, you just give them lead-poisoning and poorly managed asthma

http://www.businessinsider.com/epa-s...r=US&IR=T&IR=T

Lmao at this embarrassing country.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...lphone-n732746

None of this applies if you're Muslim of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    No, we just threaten to sue them into bankruptcy.
    Rarely happens.

Even in a party full of idiots, Steve King's idiocy seems singular.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Even in a party full of idiots, Steve King's idiocy seems singular.
    It pretty much is.

Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Just put the tweet ID between the code blocks. So:

Isn't everyone who isn't your sibling or child someone else's baby?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Can't we just get tax reform? All I want is tax reform. Once the GOP shoots its wad on that, there will maybe be an opening for constructive conversations about climate policy.

What We Already Know About Trump’s Ties to Russia Amounts to Treachery to the Republic
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-republic.html

We haven't moved on from defining treason have we?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

She makes $26k, will pay $14k for health care
    A new report by the Congressional Budget Office estimates that a 64-year-old making $26,500 per year would pay $14,600 under the proposed American Health Care Act.

$26,000 yearly wages
    $3433.75 in federal taxes
    $22566.25 after taxes (assuming you live in a state with no income tax)
    $8566.25 after health care
    $164.73 per week to survive

This party is insane
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

As long as she doesn't buy an iPhone.

Her salary will increase to $100K #dynamicscoring

OG, you forgot copays for visits and prescriptions. But not to worry, when she is sick enough she visit the emergency room on our dollar. We got her covered.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Wonder if the numbers included deductibles. I've seen plans that hit 8 grand before insurance kicks in.

What We Already Know About Trump’s Ties to Russia Amounts to Treachery to the Republic
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-republic.html

We haven't moved on from defining treason have we?
    Oh, I'm willing to entertain the idea that figures in the campaign have been/are being traitors (including Trump himself). I'm just not willing to accept declarations that anyone with a loud voice who supports Trump or denies the possibility has also committed treason. Being a deliberately blind partisan hack is not treason or grounds for declaring someone a traitor.

She makes $26k, will pay $14k for health care
    A new report by the Congressional Budget Office estimates that a 64-year-old making $26,500 per year would pay $14,600 under the proposed American Health Care Act.

$26,000 yearly wages
    $3433.75 in federal taxes
    $22566.25 after taxes (assuming you live in a state with no income tax)
    $8566.25 after health care
    $164.73 per week to survive

This party is insane
    I haven't looked at the details of the plan but someone making 26K a year is likely not paying that much in federal taxes. When I was making just shy of 50k a year I had an effective federal tax rate of 2%. Granted I had a wife who didn't work but I doubt it is that far off.

Something about that example seems a bit off even though a 64-y-o is expected to have to pay much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    someone making 26K a year is likely not paying that much in federal taxes.
    Even if you cut those federal taxes in half thats still less than $200 a week to live off of. Completely ignoring taxes, that 60% of their income going to healthcare coverage (not actual healthcare expenses), compared to 21% of someone who makes $68k
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e4be3aa11e8a

On top of that, they want to claim HSAs will fix everything. How would that be feasible here?
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-15-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Something about that example seems a bit off even though a 64-y-o is expected to have to pay much more.
    Re-read the report, had gotten the numbers confused. The net premium is indeed far higher to the point where the impact of federal income tax becomes negligible.

Even if you cut those federal taxes in half thats still less than $200 a week to live off of. Completely ignoring taxes, that 60% of their income going to healthcare coverage (not actual healthcare expenses), compared to 21% of someone who makes $68k
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e4be3aa11e8a

On top of that, they want to claim HSAs will fix everything. How would that be feasible here?
    I wasn't commenting on the rest - just the income tax portion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I haven't looked at the details of the plan but someone making 26K a year is likely not paying that much in federal taxes. When I was making just shy of 50k a year I had an effective federal tax rate of 2%. Granted I had a wife who didn't work but I doubt it is that far off.
    Are you including FICA in your federal tax calculations?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Are you including FICA in your federal tax calculations?
    Oops yeah that makes more sense then. I tend to skip over it since FICA revenue/expenses and federal budget should really be treated completely separately.

Not really they're the same thing essentially. The same here too where National Insurance and Income Tax are essentially the same thing.

Not really they're the same thing essentially. The same here too where National Insurance and Income Tax are essentially the same thing.
    What you pay into SS influences what you get back from SS. The federal income tax should be used to fund the federal budget while social security is a side thing. The fact that politicians have used it as a slush fund is a shame.

What you pay you get back? All of it?

Here what you pay has a bare minimum correlation to what you get back.

What you pay you get back? All of it?

Here what you pay has a bare minimum correlation to what you get back.
    Typically what you pay into SS is substantially less than what you get back, obviously, since it's a pay as you go system - current SS taxes fund current SS benefits (though any excess is theoretically put in a SS 'trust fund' for future benefits). Since benefits scale upwards with time, typical amounts paid out over retirement will dwarf amounts you put in. But it will depend a lot on how long you live and the exact structure of your income during your earning years (and other obscure things like marital status changes, when you begin to claim benefits, etc.).

Regardless, that wasn't really what Lewk meant. He meant that the size of one's SS benefits will roughly correspond proportionally to the size of one's contributions. That is, SS benefits are calculated as percentage of SS tax-eligible income accrued over one's working years. There are a lot of sophisticated caveats, but it means that someone who generally earned higher amounts of income (and thus paid more SS tax) will also be eligible for higher SS benefits.

Now I'm not really sure I understand his logic about why this system should influence how it's viewed wrt to general revenue. It's true that the money is earmarked (theoretically, again, given issues with the trust fund) and that the tax is very different than typical income taxes (it's a highly regressive combination income/payroll tax), and the size of one's benefits do scale with the size of one's contributions, but at the end of the day it still is money that you don't have to spend on things like rent and food.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)