Thread: Time to get out of the Student Loan Business

Default Time to get out of the Student Loan Business

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/studen...144306762.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- More than 3,000 former Corinthian College students will have their college loans erased, the first wave of debt relief tied to the collapse of the for-profit higher education chain. The potential cost to taxpayers if all Corinthian students seek relief: $3.2 billion.

So far, almost 12,000 students have asked the federal government to discharge their college loan debt, asserting that their school either closed or lied to them about job prospects, according to a report released Thursday by the Education Department.

About 3,100 closed-school claims have so far been approved — totaling about $40 million in student loans, the department said.

While unprecedented, the figures represent just a fraction of the students who might qualify for debt relief.

Education Undersecretary Ted Mitchell told reporters in a press call that processing remaining claims will take some time. "Borrowers and taxpayers are counting on us to get this right," he said.

For 33-year-old Tasha Rincon, a mother of three, relief from her government loans for Corinthian cannot come soon enough.

Deeply in debt, Rincon says she can't even afford to buy groceries and is working three hours a day in a school cafeteria about an hour away from her home in Lake Elsinore, California.

"It's just not fair," said Rincon, who graduated in 2012 from Corinthian's Everest College with an associate's degree in criminal justice and a bachelor's degree in business management. She's earning nowhere close to the $45,000 that recruiters had promised her.

"If it had helped me get a better job, I could do more for my kids," Rincon said in an interview. She owes more than $43,000 in student loans and is waiting to hear from the Education Department whether her loans will be erased.

As of late last month, most of the nearly 12,000 claims that have been filed are Corinthian-related, and they represent an unprecedented spike in what's called a "borrower's defense" claim. With such a claim, students can ask for loan forgiveness if they believe they were victims of fraud.

Mitchell said the borrowers' defense claims are "new territory" for the department.

Before Corinthian, officials say they knew of five or so "borrower's defense" cases in the past 20 years. Following Corinthian's demise, some 4,140 such claims have been filed since the department's June announcement that it would make the debt-relief process easier. An additional 7,815 Corinthian students have filed claims for debt-relief because their school closed, officials said.

Mitchell and the department's new "special master" for debt relief, Joseph Smith, did not have a dollar estimate for the nearly 12,000 claims made to date.

Mitchell said the potential costs to taxpayers could be up to $3.2 billion if all Corinthian students dating back to 2010 who borrowed government money were to seek relief. Some 350,000 students have attended Corinthian schools over the past five years.

Education Department rules say the company should be responsible for any canceled debt but it is unlikely that the company can pay. Corinthian filed for bankruptcy protection in May 2015.

Corinthian had been one of the largest for-profit schools when it collapsed and became a symbol of fraud in the student loan program. According to investigators, Corinthian schools charged exorbitant fees, lied about job prospects for its graduates and, in some cases, encouraged students to lie about their circumstances to get more federal aid. The bankruptcy court filing came after the department notified Corinthian that it would fine its Heald College $30 million for misleading students. Some 13,500 students still were enrolled.

The Obama administration is trying to rein in the for-profit college industry, which it says relies too heavily on federal student loans and often misleads students on job prospects. In its latest move, the Education Department on Aug. 28 sent a letter to DeVry University asking the for-profit institution for proof to support its job placement claims.

In a plan orchestrated by the federal government, some of the Corinthian schools closed while others were sold. The biggest question has been what should happen to the debt incurred by students whose schools were sold. The law already provides for debt relief for students of schools that close, so long as they apply within 120 days.

The latest plan expands debt relief to students who attended a now-closed school as far back as a year ago. And it streamlines the process for students whose schools were sold, but who believe they were victims of fraud.

You borrow money to buy something (in this case education). You don't owe the money to the school. You owe the money to the people who let you borrow the money. It is just like if you borrow money from a bank to buy a piece of property. A year later you learned you were sold a toxic waste dump. You can go after the seller but you shouldn't be able to go after the bank. This is a complete joke.

Get government out of everything they do in the college sector. You'll instantly see costs of college go down, increase in the labor supply and a generation of free loaders finally forced to work at 18 instead of putting off their adult life until their late 20s.

Sorry Lewk, but the legal principle involved is one that has existed for sometime and would apply even if these were issued and backed by a private institution. Because the government does have a legitimate interest in protecting citizens and businesses from fraud.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I'm with Fuzzy. This isn't a case of getting a crappy education. It's a case of being defrauded, something the government should have known about, but did nothing to stop.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Sorry Lewk, but the legal principle involved is one that has existed for sometime and would apply even if these were issued and backed by a private institution. Because the government does have a legitimate interest in protecting citizens and businesses from fraud.
    That's bull shit. If I as a private citizen choose to let someone borrow money for whatever reason then I get to ask for it back. Even if they went and did something stupid with it. I have no problem with requiring the school to refund money back to the tax payers but letting the individual off Scott free from paying back what they owe TO THE TAX PAYERS is crap.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Nice to see that your medieval notions are still in full display.

So, Lewk, reserved your place in Hell yet?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    That's bull shit. If I as a private citizen choose to let someone borrow money for whatever reason then I get to ask for it back. Even if they went and did something stupid with it. I have no problem with requiring the school to refund money back to the tax payers but letting the individual off Scott free from paying back what they owe TO THE TAX PAYERS is crap.
    If a private institution lent money and the debt was relieved for fraud, there's a process they have for their fraud-caused losses to be made good as well. Only up to a limit, of course, but relief is possible for them as well. Relief isn't possible for the government because the government is the entity which grants it. It has to swallow the loss just like it does for redeeming other fraud. And it does so under the accurate belief that the long-term opportunity cost of not doing so is usually higher.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    If a private institution lent money and the debt was relieved for fraud, there's a process they have for their fraud-caused losses to be made good as well. Only up to a limit, of course, but relief is possible for them as well. Relief isn't possible for the government because the government is the entity which grants it. It has to swallow the loss just like it does for redeeming other fraud. And it does so under the accurate belief that the long-term opportunity cost of not doing so is usually higher.
    Again the person who did wrong was the university - not the government. The government merely provided the funds. And in many cases the students still got a degree.

Interestingly enough is the government going to give money to the people who paid for their education with a scholarship? Or with cash? Doubt it - only the people who COST the tax payer money get to rip off Uncle Sam IE - the American people. (Not that I'm suggesting they should be paid back either but the principal is really the same).

Lewk, what principles are you espousing?

Our public education system has lots of problems...but that doesn't mean it's not "worthy" of public tax dollars, or that Home Schoolers are "better" educators.

Obviously, I don't have a high opinion of "Home Schoolers" that hide in religious communities, and refuse to teach certain things (like evolution)...but then expect their students will be accepted into public universities, while denouncing the whole testing/evaluation process.

Home-schoolers take out student loans for higher public education, at public universities, too. At some point, you'll have to recognize Academia is a product of public education and its funding.
    Last edited by GGT; 09-08-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Lewk, what principles are you espousing?

Our public education system has lots of problems...but that doesn't mean it's not "worthy" of public tax dollars, or that Home Schoolers are "better" educators.

Obviously, I don't have a high opinion of "Home Schoolers" that hide in religious communities, and refuse to teach certain things (like evolution)...but then expect their students will be accepted into public universities, while denouncing the whole testing/evaluation process.

Home-schoolers take out student loans for higher public education, at public universities, too. At some point, you'll have to recognize Academia is a product of public education and its funding.
    I have no problems with funding for public education - merely that parents who opt to take the child to a better school can have their tax dollars travel with them. That being said... this thread is about college not K-12.

If that should be even a bit useful, they should compare salaries and graduation rates from similar fields and similar types of colleges. Of course a college where most people major in business is going to have graduates with higher incomes. And of course an elite campus college is going to have higher graduation rates relative to a commuter school. And of course a college composed of upper class kids is going to have better stats than some college that mainly attracts those from lower income communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If that should be even a bit useful, they should compare salaries and graduation rates from similar fields and similar types of colleges. Of course a college where most people major in business is going to have graduates with higher incomes. And of course an elite campus college is going to have higher graduation rates relative to a commuter school. And of course a college composed of upper class kids is going to have better stats than some college that mainly attracts those from lower income communities.
    Where's your school? 1,2 or 3 of courses.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Relatively high graduation rates because it's a residential school and because most of the students have well-off parents. Relative low post-graduation income because there are few business and no engineering majors. Previous school comes out ahead in every category because it had even better-off parents and had a major engineering program.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If that should be even a bit useful, they should compare salaries and graduation rates from similar fields and similar types of colleges.
    Yes, they don't break it down by major...