Thread: Stock Photos

Default Stock Photos

I'm thinking of putting my photos up on a stock photo site. Anybody have advice, experience, etc. I hope Bitter Jewler sees this as he is the most likely here to have experience with this.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Oh boy is that a tough market today. To make any "decent" extra income, you gotta have TONS of images available.
    Photos of/with people sell the most, and you have to have model releases. Most stock photo companies have an area that will tell you what they "need" and what they don't, because there are already thousands of pictures of apples and flowers, for instance.

I looked into it a while back. I tried getting into one and was rejected.
    You kinda have to shoot for stock, rather than hope your "random" images are worthwhile, if that makes sense.

Soooooo...good luck?

Thanks Bitter, I don't do people at all. Terrible at it. Happy I came here for a reality check before getting my hopes up.

No problem. I didn't mean to burst your bubble. I don't know what images you want to put out there.
    The best way to look at it is "who buys it and what is it used for?" Typically it is for advertising. You also see a lot of stock photos used in online "news" typically of events.

To to give yourself an idea, think about what keywords you would use to tag your images, and then search stock sites to see what is already there. Is what you have better, or different? Are there already hundreds of similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    ...think about what keywords you would use to tag your images...
    I'll start with 'wallpaper'. Just playing around I've printed my wilderness shots on 4 sheets x 4 sheets @ 13"x19" and pin them on the wall. Detail is fabulous.