Thread: Pope 'is at centre of Vatican abuse cover-up', says Hans Kung

Default Pope 'is at centre of Vatican abuse cover-up', says Hans Kung

Pope 'is at centre of Vatican abuse cover-up', says Hans Küng
    Roger Boyes, Berlin

Pope Benedict XVI

One of Europe’s leading theological thinkers has accused the Pope of being complicit in a Vatican cover-up of child abuse scandals in the Roman Catholic Church.

“No one in the whole of the Catholic Church knows as much about abuse cases – knowledge that is ex officio, derived from his office,” Hans Küng said in an interview with Swiss television.

Professor Küng – a long-standing critic of the Vatican – said that the Pope’s involvement in hiding clerical molestation of children dated back at least to his 24 years as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome .

He has been a close observer of Joseph Ratzinger – now Pope Benedict XVI – since they were theology professors at the University of Tübingen in the 1960s. Both were theological advisers to the Second Vatican Council, which concluded in 1965.

Professor Küng’s clinching piece of documentary evidence against his old university colleague is contained in a diocesal letter, dated March 18, 2001, on child abuse, “De delictis gravioribus” (“about serious offences”). Signed by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the document establishes guidelines for dealing with priests suspected of abuse:

“In tribunals established by ordinaries or hierarchs, the functions of judge, promoter of justice, notary and legal representative can validly be performed for these cases only by priests. When the trial in the tribunal is finished in any fashion, all the acts of the case are to be transmitted ex officio as soon as possible to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith," it says.

Professor Küng argues that the Pope is acting hypocritically by calling bishops to order because for the past ten years such offences have been officially regulated behind closed doors.

“He cannot now wag his finger at the bishops and say 'you did not do enough!' He gave the instructions himself – as boss of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and again as Pope.”

The Vatican has argued that it is a serious misunderstanding to cast the 2001 document as part of the Church’s supposed “culture of silence”.

A German church official tried to play down Professor Küng’s utterances, arguing in essence that the theologian has "form” with the Pope.

After their stint in Tübingen together, Hans Küng and Joseph Ratzinger went separate ways: Professor Ratzinger, upset at the radical questioning of doctrine during the 1968 student disturbances, moved to the more conservative Regensburg; Professor Küng began openly to question the infallibility of the Pope and urge a discussion about the celibacy of priests.

In 1979 the Vatican stripped him of his right to teach Catholic theology.

But Professor Küng remains a morally powerful figure in Europe – even Tony Blair came to Tübingen to pay his respects – and his highlighting of the 2001 document has fed into a public debate in Germany about how much the Pope knows personally about the abuse cases.

Only 17 per cent of Germans still trust the Catholic Church, according to a study by the FORSA sampling institute. At the end of January, 29 per cent of Germans trusted the Church and 38 per cent trusted the Bavarian-born Pope Benedict.

It is clear that the Pope certainly knew about the practice of transferring paedophile priests form parish to parish.

As Archbishop Ratzinger, head of the Diocesan Council of Munich, he presided over a meeting on January 15, 1980 that discussed the case of Father Peter Hullermann.

Father Hullermann had forced an 11-year-old to have oral sex and had assaulted three other children. The parents had been persuaded not to press charges and the police had not been informed. Instead he was supposed to be moved out of the diocese of Essen, to Archbishop Ratzinger’s territory in southern Germany.

Archbishop Ratzinger formally approved the transfer and ordered him to undergo therapy. Again, the police were not informed. Within a fortnight however the chaplain was taking on pastoral duties again. Whether the Archbishop knew of this is unclear.

Advice from Father Hullermann's therapist that the priest should not be allowed to work with children, and should be under close supervision, was ignored by the Archbishop's staff.

Over the next two decades, Father Hullermann persistently re-offended. Only once did it come to court: in 1986 he was given an 18-month suspended prison sentence. By this time, Cardinal Ratzinger was established in Rome and presumably was not following the details of Father Hullermann’s career.

Informally, on his regular visits to his brother Georg – choirmaster of the Regensburger Domspatzen – he may have heard reports of abuse. Georg Ratzinger himself says that he had “heard stories” about the boarding school in Etterzhausen that prepared children for the choir. No action was taken.

Through the 1990s, a pattern seems to have established itself in both Cardinal Ratzinger's Vatican department, but also in the dioceses: priests who abused children had sinned, were required to repent and needed help and solidarity from within the Church.

Open trial and imprisonment would hurt the church as an institution. The option of defrocking an offending priest was also only rarely applied. This week's revelations about an American priest who molested up to 200 deaf pupils falls into this category: proceedings leading to a canonical trial against the priest were broken off after he applied for leniency to Cardinal Ratzinger in 1996.

But by 2001 enough accounts of priestly abuse worldwide were reaching Rome to justify the drafting of a diocesal letter and the definition of child abuse as a grave offence.

The letter was, on the one hand, an affirmation of existing practice: that is, internal disciplining of errant priests. And on the other hand, a clear centralisation of information in Rome.

The Vatican wanted not only an overview but also control. Yet critics say that no significant action was taken on the accumulated information. It should have been plain, at least from 2001, that Irish paedophile priests were being moved to US parishes.

That information must have been available to the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith. And to its head, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle7075618.ece

What are we to make of the astonishing discovery that a major religious organization has somewhat less moral authority, than say, a bookies or a strip club? Nothing much. However, bashing religion wasn't my main reason for posting this article. My main reason was this:

Roger Boyes, Berlin

Pope Benedict XVI

One of Europe’s leading theological thinkers has accused the Pope of being complicit in a Vatican cover-up of child abuse scandals in the Roman Catholic Church.
    Roger Boyes, Berlin
    Roger Boyes
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Church insists pope unaware priest under suspicion was moved

Pope Benedict's former archdiocese of Munich insisted on Friday he had no knowledge of a 1980 decision to reassign a priest undergoing therapy there for suspected pedophilia to a post with access to children.
    Of course, the logical answer that is consistent with the "do not call the police" policy.
    And I thought pedophile mormons in US and Canada were scum...
    Shame catholic church!!
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Roger Boyes, yeah we get it.

So much for the Pope being Infallible, eh.

Can someone actually explain this to me in a few sentences? I haven't been able to understand what the hubbub is about.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Roger Boyes, yeah we get it.

So much for the Pope being Infallible, eh.
    He's only infallible in certain very specific theological issues

Can someone actually explain this to me in a few sentences? I haven't been able to understand what the hubbub is about.
    Priests have been keeping the spirit of the 120 Days alive and well for decades

Vatican and company systematically try to keep it hidden

Things coming out into the open in a plethora of nations

People are pissed off that kiddy-winks have been dinked for decades by "spiritual leaders"

lol religion, basically.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Priest pedophilia cover-ups for at least 30 years, traced right up the hierarchy to the Vatican and the Pope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5SRwuo3fOk

Priest pedophilia cover-ups for at least 30 years, traced right up the hierarchy to the Vatican and the Pope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5SRwuo3fOk
    Actually, that isn't proven at all. It's not disproven either, but the fact that the church internal rules are dealing with as a sin rather than a crime doesn't mean every single person involved with internal rules was in on the cover up.

I myself was rather shocked to see the case of that school for deaf boys used as proof that the Pope is guilty over covering up paedophile crimes. Yes, what went on were crimes, but by the time Ratzinger heard about it the perp was dying and the crimes had occured decades ago. Even if they'd dragged him to a police station, most likely his age and health would have prevented prosecution anyway. How is it a 'cover up' to acknowledge this reality?
    Congratulations America

They were violent crimes. Should have been reported to the police and prosecuted, not covered up. Period.

They were violent crimes. Should have been reported to the police and prosecuted, not covered up. Period.
    You and other people are claiming that Ratzinger was central in the cover up; he was not. The office he was leading didn't hear about the facts untill 3 decades after they happened. The man who perpetrated them was dead within 4 months after the Vatican reacted to questions on it. Even if they would have reported to the police then, and one has to wonder why you'd expect them to deal with the law in another country at all, the bisshops in the US would have been the more logical ones to report anything, then it would still not have resulted in anything because you can't prosecute dying or dead people.
    Congratulations America

Vatican is a political entity, and there is no morality in politics, just nice speeches and convenience.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Vatican blames media so if you denounce a crime, you are to be blamed...

Germany's Catholic Church launches sex abuse hotline so they can hide the priests from justice more rapidly...??

AR - you are cynical. The Pope is infallible so bugger off.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    Vatican blames media so if you denounce a crime, you are to be blamed...

Germany's Catholic Church launches sex abuse hotline so they can hide the priests from justice more rapidly...??
    Actually in Germany the bishops have adopted a less than zero tolerance. They report all cases to the police, regardless of how long ago they happened.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Actually in Germany the bishops have adopted a less than zero tolerance. They report all cases to the police, regardless of how long ago they happened.
    I need to see to believe...

Jews outraged at Vatican scandal comparison

The pope's personal preacher, Father Raniero Cantalamessa, in a Friday sermon in St Peter's Basilica, said attacks on the Catholic Church and the pope over a sexual abuse scandal were comparable to "collective violence" against Jews.
    It looks like this comparison equals pedophile priests with Jews...

I just love the way the Catholic Church seemingly has no comprehension of why people are so outraged over this.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    I just love the way the Catholic Church seemingly has no comprehension of why people are so outraged over this.
    And rightly so. If those damned faggot kids hadn't maliciously seduced moral, upright Catholic priests into sin, none of this would be happening. And now that the media's found out, they're doing a classic "blame the victims" rap. Like it's suddenly the priest's fault that some little faggot lured him into sin.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.