Thread: Liberal cities are the shittiest (literally)

Default Liberal cities are the shittiest (literally)

http://www.thebolditalic.com/article...on-the-streets

WTF?

"We live in a beautiful city that’s praised for its progressive values and the deeply set urban intellect of its residents. Why, then, do I find myself, on a daily basis, stepping around errant piles of fecal matter? In simpler terms, what’s with all the shit?"

I mean... seriously? Please don't give liberals anymore control of our cities. Shit is bad mmkay?

It's called Human Kindness. It's part of the social contract. If assholes just want these people to die rather than give them a place to live then I have no problem with those asshole people needing environmental suits to enjoy the great urban outdoors.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    http://www.thebolditalic.com/article...on-the-streets

WTF?

"We live in a beautiful city that’s praised for its progressive values and the deeply set urban intellect of its residents. Why, then, do I find myself, on a daily basis, stepping around errant piles of fecal matter? In simpler terms, what’s with all the shit?"

I mean... seriously? Please don't give liberals anymore control of our cities. Shit is bad mmkay?

Do you actually read through the articles you post?

This one totally disagrees with your dum-dum.

To wit, the article concludes with:
    At the end of the day, though, the poop problem is only a mirror to the way City Hall perceives the homeless in our fair city. Everyone I spoke to in the course of writing this article echoed, from one side or the other, the same sentiment: San Francisco believes that our homeless population actively chooses to be homeless. There is a stance in our city government that rests on the notion that if you are homeless, you’re there because you want to be. And if our homeless population has made a choice to be on the street, then by supporting them, with the basic amenities of human living, we are only encouraging them to continue to stay here. In the words of BART spokesperson Jim Allison, “You could have housing for every person on the street and there’d still be people who’d choose not to live there.” And to that, I say bullshit.

If we want a solution to poop sculptures and clogged escalators and the odor of piss and shit that permeates so many of our neighborhoods, we need to start by changing our perception. As Jennifer Friedenbach told me, “People are outside because of systemic disparity, and lack of affordable housing not because we offer such great services.” If we, and our government continue to perceive the homeless as a problem, an issue perpetuated purposefully by a group of people, we’re going to be facing this problem for a long, long time. We need to start by seeing our homeless population as actual human beings who need to eat and drink and wash their hands and who, yes, need a place to take a nice private dump once in a while.

Bolding mine.

So the solution to the problem, the entire problem, is most certainly a liberal one; greater provision for the homeless.

Keep posting your pro-liberal articles lewk, they make for interesting reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Two thirds of the long-term homeless have severe mental illnesses. So no, affordable houses wouldn't solve that problem. It wouldn't even begin to solve it.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I didn't say affordable...

India doesn't have the best policies for public water or sewage.....but they're using public shaming for open-air defecators. They post pictures and names of people shitting in fields, as part of their national effort to encourage modern, sanitary waste disposal.

So, when you buy some imported product that says "made in India", it's no better than buying from Chinese (or Mexican) sweat shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Two thirds of the long-term homeless have severe mental illnesses. So no, affordable houses wouldn't solve that problem. It wouldn't even begin to solve it.
    Provision for the homeless doesn't start nor end with affordable housing. As is the point of the article; this is about a lack of even the most basic amenities.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 08-18-2015 at 04:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

Do you actually read through the articles you post?

This one totally disagrees with your dum-dum.

To wit, the article concludes with:
    At the end of the day, though, the poop problem is only a mirror to the way City Hall perceives the homeless in our fair city. Everyone I spoke to in the course of writing this article echoed, from one side or the other, the same sentiment: San Francisco believes that our homeless population actively chooses to be homeless. There is a stance in our city government that rests on the notion that if you are homeless, you’re there because you want to be. And if our homeless population has made a choice to be on the street, then by supporting them, with the basic amenities of human living, we are only encouraging them to continue to stay here. In the words of BART spokesperson Jim Allison, “You could have housing for every person on the street and there’d still be people who’d choose not to live there.” And to that, I say bullshit.

If we want a solution to poop sculptures and clogged escalators and the odor of piss and shit that permeates so many of our neighborhoods, we need to start by changing our perception. As Jennifer Friedenbach told me, “People are outside because of systemic disparity, and lack of affordable housing not because we offer such great services.” If we, and our government continue to perceive the homeless as a problem, an issue perpetuated purposefully by a group of people, we’re going to be facing this problem for a long, long time. We need to start by seeing our homeless population as actual human beings who need to eat and drink and wash their hands and who, yes, need a place to take a nice private dump once in a while.

Bolding mine.

So the solution to the problem, the entire problem, is most certainly a liberal one; greater provision for the homeless.

Keep posting your pro-liberal articles lewk, they make for interesting reading.
    It is San Francisco - one of the most liberal cities in the country. And they have a shit problem - a problem far bigger than other sized cities. Coincidence? I think not.

EDIT: Just because I post an article/viewpoint doesn't mean I agree with everything in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Provision for the homeless doesn't start nor end with affordable housing. As is the point of the article; this is about a lack of even the most basic amenities.
    Amenities won't help the mentally ill get better. It might marginally improve their quality of life, but that's about it. As I recall, New York spends $15-20k per homeless person, with rather poor results. The quality of mental health care has to be improved, it has to be improved drastically, and the provision has to start at an early age. There's nothing to be done for someone who's been living on the streets with schizophrenia or bipolar for 20 years.

Sorry Lewk, more data required
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

... It might marginally improve their quality of life, but that's about it.
    Better than no improvement.

The quality of mental health care has to be improved, it has to be improved drastically, and the provision has to start at an early age.
    Who is it you'd be targeting? Kids taking AD meds?

Sure, as is putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. Neither is terribly helpful though.

Mental illness generally develops in the late teens and early 20s. There are very few carrots or sticks or even access to information for people in that situation.

We haven't even gotten to how it can be done part. Who is it you'd be targeting?

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

It's hard not to think of Arkham here.

Hey, aggie....what do you think of Rio winning their Olympic Games bid even though less than 50% of their population is connected to sanitary sewers -- and the rest is pumped into the ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Hey, aggie....what do you think of Rio winning their Olympic Games bid even though less than 50% of their population is connected to sanitary sewers -- and the rest is pumped into the ocean?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯