Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stellaris (Paradox Grand Strategy in Space)

I'll almost definitely buy it but may wait for it to be on sale as I don't have much time for games currently anyway and have a massive back catalogue to get through. Besides Paradox games often need a couple of patches to get up to their full potential.

Would appreciate feedback on how it is. Hope it can live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I'll almost definitely buy it but may wait for it to be on sale as I don't have much time for games currently anyway and have a massive back catalogue to get through. Besides Paradox games often need a couple of patches to get up to their full potential.
    They've gotten a lot better at that. Their releases since EU4 have been pretty solid on launch day. The Paradox of a decade ago probably would have released Stellaris in February.

It's not so much that the games aren't solid on launch but in my experience the first few patches tend to end up balancing the game more from feedback from players, which is kind of inevitable.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Definitely, ck2 base is a pretty good game but it's the expansion's that make it awesome.

Actually pre-ordering can make even more sense in the digital era than it did in the CD era. With Steam if you pre-order you can sometimes download early or it starts the download automatically ASAP so that when you want to play it on release day you can simply click play rather than think "oh I want this, lets buy it" and then wait hours for it to download and install.
    The issue isn't the lack patience on the consumers end, its the lack of honest advertising on the publishers end. I'll gladly wait the hour it would take to download a 25gb game if that means getting a better feel for launch issues or E3 syndrome.

With that being said, 20% off http://www.wingamestore.com/product/5560/Stellaris/
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

A bit more than 2 days to go, and somehow it's #1 on Steam. The anticipation may kill me. I'm looking into a good cryogenics solution to get through the weekend. My expectations are so high right now that no game crafted by mortal hands could possibly meet them.

PRO-TIP: watch streams of the game on youtube or twitch in full screen move while moving the mouse in synch with the one on screen and saying things like "I just think I'll move my science ship over *here*"
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Not a fan of PDS games really; never got into the likes of EU or CK.

Will await reviews of Stellaris; if they're tip top then I may consider.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Couldn't resist anymore and bought it. Damn me for being so weak.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

RPS seems to be quite taken with it:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...c/#more-365197

3 hours so far, and my only complaint is that other AIs seem somewhat placid. Recommend others consider trying their first game on hard.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    RPS seems to be quite taken with it:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...c/#more-365197
    Hmmm a good review.

What do others think?

Don't suppose Wraith will emerge from his hole, bleary-eyed and gibbering, to give a view anytime soon.

EDIT: IGN weren't too impressed, giving it 6.3/10. Their main complaint was as Steely said, a dull and placid AI, who never attack.

And PC Gamer not overly impressed either for much the same reasons of placid AI and mid-game slump, giving it 70/100.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 05-10-2016 at 05:51 AM.

That's a shame, hope PDS can fix the AI.

Well I'm going to make up my own mind. Downloading now.

I think the criticisms in those reviews are fair, but kind of over emphasised. There's a lot to like about the game, played for like 6 hours+ last night.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Like, the game has legit problems but it's still probably the best space 4x going by some considerable distance.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

AI isn't great, will second recommendation to start on hard, but overall I like the thing so far. I can see many hours getting lost in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    AI isn't great, will second recommendation to start on hard, but overall I like the thing so far. I can see many hours getting lost in this.

Is it worth 39.99 though. Im on budget, but I like what it is promising...

The problem with the AI isn't that it's bad per say, they seem perfectly competent at developing their empires and so on. It's that they're extremely passive diplomatically. I'm 10 hours in, and have yet to be on the receiving end of a war declaration and have only seen a handful amongst other empires in the galaxy.

You'll probably need to be starting mayhem yourself if you find the mid-game too dull.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Presumably something that can be either tweaked in a patch or will be able to be modded?

PDS games are normally pretty open to modding, I'm guessing this one will be.

The mid game slog and weak diplomacy earned this game a weak 6.3/10 from IGN and got it wrapped into yet another gamergate conspiracy. Paradox defended, but didn't completely agree with, the review. So at the very least they are aware of the issues the game has.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Presumably something that can be either tweaked in a patch or will be able to be modded?

PDS games are normally pretty open to modding, I'm guessing this one will be.
    I don't doubt it will be addressed in the first patch.

nearly 100 years into my first campaign, the game beings to liven up on the diplomatic front as the empires borders run into each other.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    nearly 100 years into my first campaign, the game beings to liven up on the diplomatic front as the empires borders run into each other.
    I'm wondering if it's cos I started on hard, but right at the start I'm bordering 3 or 4 other empires. I'm right at the edge of the galaxy, and have empires inward restricting my expansion in all directions.

Expansion is also difficult and slow. Influence is very hard to come by, so can't have more than 3 frontier posts before I'm out of influence. Limited to 7 planets, though I've built 9 which being over the limit gives me penalties on energy and further limits my influence.

So now I'm sat there, can't expand until I've researched an increase in planet colonization which doesn't seem to be happening any time soon, or my influence has increased which is happening at a very, very slow trickle.

So hard mode affects more than AI aggression I'm thinking. Though saying that, other empires aren't yet being aggressive in the slightest. Even after I set several of them to rivals in an attempt to boost my influence, one of them even asked to remove the rivalry and become friends again a few years later ...

Thinking I might start an alternate game on normal mode, until I've really learned the mechanics and nuances of the game so can better exploit them in hard mode ...
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 05-12-2016 at 07:24 AM.

You have to assign your excess worlds to administrative sectors (and therefore let the AI take care of them) to get back below the planet cap. I don't think there are any techs that increase that limit, or if there are they are very late.

Maybe blag civilian access from one of the friendly AIs and try and leap frog them to expand beyond their borders? Expansion is slow in this game because colonies are super expensive, so you tend to get large patches of empty space available until well into the mid game.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Also, frontier outposts don't use influence when assigned to a sector, but I don't know if that is WAD or an exploit.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Ahhh - hadn't yet introduced sectors. Helps a lot with expansion.

And leaders for that matter.

Also, frontier outposts don't use influence when assigned to a sector, but I don't know if that is WAD or an exploit.
    Sounds like the principles in CK2 where you have your personal demesne and anything else has to be held by a vassal not yourself.

You have to assign your excess worlds to administrative sectors (and therefore let the AI take care of them) to get back below the planet cap. I don't think there are any techs that increase that limit, or if there are they are very late.
    There are a couple. They start showing up mid-game. Some of the advanced governments will also give an increased limit over the base governments.
    That's definitely a bug - they're actually taking their influence cost from the sectors, which don't have influence.

My current game had me in a similar situation to Tim's - I picked hyperspace tech (the one with lanes), and spawned at the edge of the galaxy. I have safe access to about four systems, and then both routes out of my starting cluster are blocked by separate empires. I rushed my military growth and vassalized the smaller one. Was getting ready to do the same to the bigger one so I could send my ships out past them too, but then my motherboard failed.

The problem with the AI isn't that it's bad per say, they seem perfectly competent at developing their empires and so on. It's that they're extremely passive diplomatically. I'm 10 hours in, and have yet to be on the receiving end of a war declaration and have only seen a handful amongst other empires in the galaxy.

You'll probably need to be starting mayhem yourself if you find the mid-game too dull.
    The first war I was in came rather surprisingly - my current empire is part of a Federation and for some reason the "Vote for war" screen did not pop up when the current Federation's president decided to go to war.

My (minor) issue: The announcements can become somewhat annoying and spammish - "Enemy ships sighted" five times in a row or "Ker-blooop" when my energy gains dip into the negative and then oscillate between +1 and -1 rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    The first war I was in came rather surprisingly - my current empire is part of a Federation and for some reason the "Vote for war" screen did not pop up when the current Federation's president decided to go to war.
    Federations don't vote. The Federation president can go to war with whoever he wants, and everyone else is along for the ride.

This also means that when it's your turn, you don't have to promise any territories to your allies to get them to come to war with you.

My (minor) issue: The announcements can become somewhat annoying and spammish - "Enemy ships sighted" five times in a row or "Ker-blooop" when my energy gains dip into the negative and then oscillate between +1 and -1 rapidly.
    Supposedly the first one was fixed in a patch that was just released a couple hours ago.