Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stellaris (Paradox Grand Strategy in Space)

So I need another game to play as I played Train Fever to death. So there is a 10% offer for Stellaris, so what are your recommendations? Also as I see it, the standard edition will do it, the extra money is just for gimmicks right?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Standard edition is fine.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    So I need another game to play as I played Train Fever to death. So there is a 10% offer for Stellaris, so what are your recommendations? Also as I see it, the standard edition will do it, the extra money is just for gimmicks right?
    Do you think you can survive with only 94 alien races instead of 95? If so, standard will be fine.

As I thought. Now, is the game worth a go, or still too buggy? It isn't really that expensive, so money isn't the issue.

It's pretty solid as far as bugs go. The current beta patch that's out now reportedly has some bugs, but it's a beta; the main release version is in pretty good shape. It's not a perfect game (mid-game can drag a bit), but I think it's still definitely worth the price.

As I said, money isn't an issue. Question is if is worth the time. I think I I'll try it

Stellaris has always had problems with severe AI passivity when it comes to declaring wars which is part of what makes the mid game such a tedious slog, but it appears - this could be wrong - that in Asimov this has now developed into a full scale bug and the AIs won't start any wars at all in the mid game.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I haven't gotten very far in my first 1.2 game (just starting the mid-game), but with aggressiveness turned to high, I just had a coalition declare war on me. There were a fair number of wars before then between AI empires. They might be turned too passive still, but they're at least able to declare wars.

I think at least part of the problem is in expectations. The AI seems to be behaving about as aggressively as it does in other Paradox games, but there's a problem here in that people expect the AIs in 4X games to be more aggressive than that. That's not to say that there aren't solid gameplay reasons for this difference in expectations; in other Paradox games, there are often a bunch of much smaller, weaker nations around, and you don't want them all disappearing at the start of the game in an orgy of violence, but in Stellaris the empires develop so that there's much more equality in size and strength.

There seems to be a number of design issues that stem from Paradox trying to apply their usual designs to a 4X game. I think they nailed the early game, but they seem to have expected the mid-game and later to work exactly like EU4.

Problem is, there's no enough peactime mechanics and gameplays to make that interesting: if you have no wars, you've got no game
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I have now expanded as far as I could without war. So here I am trying to understand war mechanics

Failed with my first attempts. 1st try I attacked a weak empire which had a defensive pack with a superior empire. Second try I forgot to build ground forces and now I run out of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    A spot-on review from RPS, which sums up my position perfectly as a newcomer to PDS:

Stellaris: A Great Strategy Game With An Infuriating UI

Starting again now on normal mode with all I've learned.
    Yep, sums it up nicely. Also I currently feel a little like: Whenever I try something, I get my arse kicked, so why not just happily live with my start system. But than that's just sitting around and waiting. Not really fun.

If you have nasty neighbours, hanging around in your home system will get your ass kicked too.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I currently have a bigger area than my neighbours.

I can recommend the AlphaMod for anyone sick of the mediocre planet management, it adds a fuck ton of new resources and interdependent buildings and makes peacetime play far more interesting.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Does the AI use it competently? I'm always afraid of mods like that one because it seems like it'll just increase the advantage the human player has, and this game definitely does not need to be made easier.

It uses the new buildings and such reasonably appropriately.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Patch notes are promising. Let's see if the DLC is worth the money

It's only $9.99, has some good mid-game stuff and new race portraits. I'll be picking it up the moment it goes up for sale.

There's also at least a bit of end-game in there - Awakened Fallen Empires & The War in Heaven

Still nothing to improve the dismal economy or non-existent internal politics. I hope, and have reason to think, that these things are going to be looked at in the next patch but until then Heinlein just seems like it's just improving the parts of the game that already work semi-well and doing nothing to address the gaping hole in the heart of Stellaris.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Leviathans now out. The free major patch that comes with it also out.

Just found a system quite near my starting system with 6 Energy and 43 minerals.

When my research vessel stumbled over this system the game stated: "Something doesn't feel quite right."

Currently building an outpost there. Fingers crossed.

Also found: An Automated Dreadnought. Instead of fleet strength there's just a skull.

Aaaaaand of course the asteroids erupted into 6 crystalline fleets, each with a fleet strength of 1.8k.

I'm currently sitting at a fleet strength of 200.

It seems like all of the things I didn't like are gone now, at least from the early game. I think I may have screwed up my current game though; I had been waiting for colonization techs that just wouldn't come so I could expand past three planets (couldn't find anything else of type after searching half the galaxy). I wound up going to war with a 5 planet empire because I was afraid they'd get too big for me to handle if I let them keep growing. Won the war (partially financed by a merchant enclave) and took their home planet, but that still left me in a bad spot because I still wasn't getting any colonization techs. It occurred to me after I quit for the night that I think I'd heard that the colonization techs were removed, and I could have colonized those planets I'd been waiting on at any time.

Saw a space dragon. Also a planet with an Ur-quan shield around it - don't know what's going on with that yet. The space creatures are cooler now. Anomalies seem to be more interesting. So far pretty happy with Heinlein + Leviathans.

Planets outside your climate group can't be colonised now, by your own species
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

They simply can't be colonised at all anymore? No penalty or terraforming? That sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I've been waiting for 1.3, so maybe I'll get to it sometime Sunday. Hows the Leviathans DLC?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    They simply can't be colonised at all anymore? No penalty or terraforming? That sucks.
    Terraforming is still in.