Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Stellaris (Paradox Grand Strategy in Space)

So if terraforming is still in and colonising with a penalty is still in (according to changelog) then what's changed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

You can't colonize anything lower than 40% habitability now, so out of the box you can only colonized your own type (80%) or the same climate type (60%), otherwise you need to terraform or use other populations.

Climate types are a new thing as well

Dry: Arid, Desert, Savannah
    Wet: continental, ocean, tropical
    Cold: Alpine, Arctic, tundra
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Does the circle of types still exist for terraforming, so you have to nudge it one at a time?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Nope, you can terraform to anything now. But you need a second tech to change to a new climate group
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

So if you're say a tropical species then you can terraform from continental or ocean to tropical with the first tech ... but it takes a second tech to terraform from desert to tropical?

Correct.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Space Dragon:
    If you're curious, space dragons have ~600k hp, and a 25k fleet with a +25% damage bonus is not enough to defeat it.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Yikes. I'm under the impression that Abyssal Horrors may be even more bad due to their absolutely devastating reach - none of my research ships which stumbled over this one made it out of the system. And that thing is smack-dab in the middle of the system.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I keep getting a Genocidal diplomatic modifier, and I don't know why or how. I'm not purging anything, and not demanding anyone abandon their planets. I've also checked my sector policies to make sure they're not allowed to murder my citizens either. Any other ideas how this keeps happening?

Nope. I'm stumbling over another bug, though: If I'm using the Expansion planner to determine my next colony it can happen that the colony ship gets built but it doesn't start flying to its destination due to a lack of Influence Points.

Which would be fine - only, I already paid for all the costs when selecting the destination in the planner. Which effectively means paying twice the influence.

Also: War in the Heavens is one heck of an event. You're suddenly at war with half the galaxy and in this play I unluckily started next to a bunch of asshole Awoken - I would've rather chosen the other side but they're at the other end of the galaxy and those guys are right next to me. My biggest fleet is 20k and theirs is routinely at 50k.

My Xenomorph armies would eat theirs for lunch, though.

The setting "non-clustered start" does not seem to do anything worthwhile. Just for shits'n'giggles I created a 1000 star galaxy and set the number of civilizations to 10.

How many were in my immediate jump range? Three (3).

Geeze.

Non-clustered means random distribution, not evenly distributed. I'm hoping they change that setting so it allows clustered/random/even.

Just an FYI: Even if you have 30 Torpedo Frigates with a total combat strength of 1.3K a space station with a strength of 640 will still make short work of your fleet. Oh, well, will have to wait for destroyers to finally enslave that annoying twit next door.

Seems in my (very limited) experience that the mechanics work such that few heavy items make mincemeat of lots of small ones.

Torpedo's are a poor choice against stations, since the main feature of torpedoes is that they skip shields, and stations don't have shields.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

1.4 is now out, and a free story DLC by the Sunless Seas guy is supposed to come out any minute now.

edit:
    Last edited by Wraith; 12-05-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Is this game worth the play time?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Banks/Utopia is looking fuckin sweet.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

December 6th.

Paradox might be reading this forum, because they know exactly how to advertise to me. This is their newest expansion, coming along with a free patch that continues the Stellaris tradition of giving us a completely different game every six months.

Hyped for the planetary rework, the tile system was really off-putting.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I liked it enough, but it wasn't really well utilized. I wasn't sold on the rework at first, but seeing it in action made me a believer. I think this will wind up being an improvement.

I'm excited for this, and very happy it'll drop before my winter break and with enough time for a couple rounds of bug fixes. The productivity I had planned for the break is much less excited for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    This is their newest expansion, coming along with a free patch that continues the Stellaris tradition of giving us a completely different game every six months.
    It's why I'd already stopped playing their games, even before Stellaris.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Fair enough not everyone can be a fan. Personally I've not really had much time IRL to play games for the last couple of years, but when I was I think Paradoxes system had taken Crusader Kings II from a quite alright game to the most in-depth and engrossing I've ever played. I've missed about 5 expansions since it seems so curious what it'd be like now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I liked it enough, but it wasn't really well utilized. I wasn't sold on the rework at first, but seeing it in action made me a believer. I think this will wind up being an improvement.
    The tile system, and the entire economic system in general, has such a lack of depth, while requiring such a high amount of attention from the player, that it really sucked the life out of the game for me. I've aborted so many campaigns in the early game because I just could not be fucked with those damned tiles.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    They had to purge the database a bit due to GDPR, but they generally keep the old builds around and available on demand. You can hop around to different builds you liked, or stop yourself from being pushed forward until you're ready/your game is done. I think you're missing out due to a solvable problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    The tile system, and the entire economic system in general, has such a lack of depth, while requiring such a high amount of attention from the player, that it really sucked the life out of the game for me. I've aborted so many campaigns in the early game because I just could not be fucked with those damned tiles.
    You installed Alpha Mod, didn't you? I remember you recommending it here before, but I hated it because of exactly this - there was way too much attention and thought needed for buildings. The base game wasn't even close to being that bad. But yeah, the economy was simplistic. It definitely wasn't Victoria. I'm glad they're improving it.

I used it for a bit, but I stopped. I forget why.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I think at this point I'm obligated to post when there's a new expansion and accompanying free new content.