Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stellaris (Paradox Grand Strategy in Space)

Default Stellaris (Paradox Grand Strategy in Space)

PDS have unveiled a teaser trailer for Stellaris, a game of "Grand Strategy, on a universal scale". Looks interesting.

Plus its being made by the same people (well same lead developer at least) as CKII which by far is my favourite modern game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Well, I've never managed to get into Paradox games, but I hope this being made by them means we don't get the usual stupid bullshit inherent in 4x games these days.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Alight, there's a separate galactic view and system view and the system view depicts individual objects orbits. That is a good sign.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

As far as I'm aware PDS (the studio rather than the publisher) have never themselves done sci-fi or space 4x before so they're sort of starting with a clean slate. Hopefully that means they can avoid the bullshit you've mentioned.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

So, reading the RPS article, it seems the big deal is the procedural nature of the galaxy, and that any space foreigners you encounter will be randomized from a bunch of traits.

The last game I encountered that pulled such a trick was the ancient Space Empires 3, which was always a far more interesting approach than the background material being some dude's fan fictions where all the alien empires just end up being "Space Scientists", "Space Elves", "Space Vikings", "Space Merchants", "Space Other Type of Vikings" and "Space Insects, Because That's Really Alien Right Even though Insects are a Thing on Earth".

A lot of other interesting stuff going on too, according to the link. No doubt most of it will turn out to be prerelease hype, but even taking that into account it sounds a lot more interesting than the typical 'Let's make Moo2 again' approach.

Call me cautiously optimistic.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You forgot "Space rogue AI that turned on its creators and wants to kill all life but is singularly bad at actually doing so"

Natch.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

From your article this sounds like it could be interesting. Mid-late game is the worst part of most 4x games IMO
    “The problem with so many strategy games is that in the end-game, you become bored. You can look at the situation and know that you’ve already won and you have to wait for the confirmation of that.” Fåhraeus reckons Stellaris will counter that by shifting its focus dramatically in the mid- and end-game. While the early stages are concerned with exploration and colonisation, the mid-game is concerned with imperial governance and diplomacy. “At this point, when every system is under somebody’s control and borders are touching, it becomes a more EU IV type experience.”

I'd be more skeptical, but it's clear Paradox already knows how to make those systems from their other games.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Edit: never mind, that was Paraworld.
    Last edited by agamemnus; 09-16-2015 at 05:17 AM.

Click to view the full version

so yeah
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Looks interesting, I like the detail of the moons and asteroid belt.

Where's Pluto though?

Apparently paradox are racist against kuiper belt objects.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Yikes 40 minutes. Is there a tl;dw version?

Still working through it at 1.5x speed.

It's full of interesting information though. Biggest recent thing: space people no longer freak the fuck out over comets.

edit:

- Cylons
    - Space monsters
    - Gal-Civ style planet management
    - End game crisises
    - Uplifting races
    - EU style diplomacy
    - CK style characters, except with slightly less incest
    - Vicky style pops
    - Standard Paradox combat, but prettier
    - Join a federation and conquer the galaxy
    - 1000 stars seems to be biggest galaxy. ~50 major empires at game start
    - Multiple victory conditions that they don't want to talk about yet
    - Some techs only available through dissecting/debris scavenging/anomaly exploration
    - Terraforming is expensive
    - Sounds like some interesting things on planets that complicate colonization, like space-kudzu, sinkholes that giant monsters climb out of, etc
    - Dyson spheres, death stars, and superweapons saved for an expansion
    - Game almost done. Speculation is that the release date will be announced this week at GDC.
    Last edited by Wraith; 03-15-2016 at 01:25 AM.

Release date is May 9th.

It might be tricky to organize with the time zones involved, but is there any interest in some multiplayer once we've all had a chance to become familiar with the game?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I've been working on getting a game going with some people before anyone knows how to play. It's probably going to be late night PST, so I don't think it'll work for many other people here.

I'd be interested, depending on the schedule and what my job looks like at the time.

I didn't buy it. I've really liked Paradox strategy games but the development model for EUIV, with the DLC which involves major changes to the game-play, parts of which apply even if you don't buy the DLC which has the actual options to use, really turned me against them. Every time I took a break from play, I'd come back to find my saved games were trash because development or warfare or something was suddenly using a substantially different model.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

You can halt the update can't you? Or even roll them back to continue an old save as was. Could do that in CK2 at least, using "beta" mode they had the final version before a major update as a beta so you could load that mode up and play on hat version.

In honour of the upcoming release, you should correct the extra l in the thread title. It's been bothering me.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Done - oops

don't pre-order vidya gams
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

My will is weak. I avoided doing that for a while, but once I wound up backing Bard's Tale IV, it became so much easier to justify more. It was a gateway preorder.

Really though, there's nothing that could make me not buy this on release. Even if there were a bunch of complaints about bugs and stability issues, Paradox has such a stellar record of support I'd still buy it. So preordering vs. not isn't making a difference for me. It's not like I'm preordering Warhammer:Total War here.

But you don't gain anything by doing it. You don't get the game any sooner, you just get a few gifs. It's just a silly scam the industry came up with in the days of yore by making people think stores might run out of copies (this almost never happened) and is even more ridiculous in the digital era. They can just go and learn to manage their cashflow properly like any other business.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I want the gifs. And I want them to invest heavily into future dlc ASAP after seeing good preorder numbers, so I can get the dlc sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    But you don't gain anything by doing it. You don't get the game any sooner, you just get a few gifs. It's just a silly scam the industry came up with in the days of yore by making people think stores might run out of copies (this almost never happened) and is even more ridiculous in the digital era. They can just go and learn to manage their cashflow properly like any other business.
    Actually pre-ordering can make even more sense in the digital era than it did in the CD era. With Steam if you pre-order you can sometimes download early or it starts the download automatically ASAP so that when you want to play it on release day you can simply click play rather than think "oh I want this, lets buy it" and then wait hours for it to download and install.

If you had to leave your house to buy the disc and come back and install it then you had to do that whether you pre-ordered or not.

I'm buying it, probably preordering, even.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.