Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arab kid fails to blow up Texas school with homemade digital clock

BTW. For justice, I do think the English teacher needs to retire, with a reduced pension, and the principal/administrator should become unemployable on any job that requires any judgement of others.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I don't see where your hang up is. They saw his skin + his name and made up their mind in that instant what was going to happen. The fact that the child wasn't giving them the answers they wanted to hear only made matters worse since it challenged the decision they had already reached. We've had discussions on here before how research shows conservatives react negatively when faced with information contrary to their already held positions. Throw in the power tripping common in both the school and police system and tada, you have a 14 year old arrested for refusing to call his clock anything but a clock.
    Everyone with settled opinions in general react negatively when faced with contrary information.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Ag: We've already merged the threads once before, does this really need a new thread? Re-merging.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Everyone with settled opinions in general react negatively when faced with contrary information.
    Right. Where exactly is the "information" in your opinion? Last time I looked, just because you say something doesn't actually make it so.

Not to mention that you're overlooking that your reply fits your own reaction here equally well. So, I'd be careful taking the moral high ground here.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

The opinion is in my opinion. If you want to refute my opinion feel free. I mean you're so enamored with getting contrary information aren't you?

The opinion is in my opinion.
    Wut?

US liberals are more likely to follow what the study called Old Enlightenment reason, facts before feelings. Educated conservatives were the most likely to react negatively.

Not that any of that concerns this thread at this point. I tried my best to bridge the gap you had, and your response didn't really have anything to do with the event that unfolded.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

We're making good progress here, people. Keep up the fine work.

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

US liberals are more likely to follow what the study called Old Enlightenment reason, facts before feelings. Educated conservatives were the most likely to react negatively.

Not that any of that concerns this thread at this point. I tried my best to bridge the gap you had, and your response didn't really have anything to do with the event that unfolded.
    The delta on that study wasn't at all high, OG. They reacted similarly more than they reacted differently.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    The delta on that study wasn't at all high, OG. They reacted similarly more than they reacted differently.
    Reminds me of this but I'm sure there's a better phrase I just can't think of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcis...ll_differences

Well, it's for certain you can't think of it as you're unable to phrase even your own sentences properly. Again, what is this shit: "The opinion is in my opinion." supposed to mean besides being gibberish?

It was a flippant dismissal of your ludicrous question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Right. Where exactly is the "information" in your opinion? Last time I looked, just because you say something doesn't actually make it so.
    No shit Sherlock, thanks for bolding the fact that my opinion was stated as my opinion. In other shocking news red is red and I'm not pretending to be the Oracle of Delphi.

Ok, Rand, re: merging.

By the way, are we talking racism as in he's Arab or that he's Muslim? Or is that cartoon above also racist?

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    BTW. For justice, I do think the English teacher needs to retire, with a reduced pension, and the principal/administrator should become unemployable on any job that requires any judgement of others.
    I'm all in favor of being able to fire teachers easier however... considering the school's stance on the entire thing I don't think the teacher was wrong. The teacher isn't in charge of creating policy, they simply enforce it. The school obviously overreacted but the teacher did exactly what the school (based on what they are saying) would have wanted their teachers to do.

If you're uncertain if its a bomb/hoax I don't think its unreasonable to call the Police.

The Police should only interview a student with his parents present and should maybe accept sooner his word that "it's just a clock" but I don't think it's unreasonable to start the ball rolling if you have doubt and can't blame the unconstitutional f**k ups of others on the teacher.

The simple fact that nothing was done to protect the other students says either the teacher didn't follow policy, or it was known early on that it wasn't a bomb.

Considering that at no point was the school evacuated, I find it hard to believe that anyone really thought there was a bomb on school territory. So if the principal and English teacher did think the kid had a bomb, they were grossly negligent in not ordering an evacuation.

So if they weren't so sure that he had a bomb, perhaps they should have taken his advice and talked to his physics teacher (or who ever he showed the clock to first).

Edit: I see OG beat me to the punch.
    Hope is the denial of reality

The simple fact that nothing was done to protect the other students says either the teacher didn't follow policy, or it was known early on that it wasn't a bomb.
    Though they may have thought it was a bomb hoax. Those are illegal to you know.

Still an almighty f**k up of course but everything that follows isn't the teachers/head's fault if they thought it was best to let the Police sort out the truth.

and the continued suspension and victim blaming (thats still front page on their website) after the police back tracked on their stupidity?

That is also unacceptable. There should be an apology.

Even if they want to be total dicks and not admit wrongdoing in case they're worried about being sued it should not be beyond the wit of an English teacher to write an apology that is face saving either. As a tired late night about to go to sleep me let's try a quick rough draft

We regret and apologise for the unfortunate arrest of Ahmed that has been publicised in the media. Unfortunately we need to take precautions if we believe there is a bomb or bomb hoax on the school property and this has led to this unfortunate series of events.

We wish to encourage all our students to continue their intellectual curiosity as demonstrated by the clock Ahmed built. We will be launching an investigation to see what lessons can be learnt to avoid such mistakes again, while ensuring the continued safety of all our students.

Short apology that admits no deliberate wrongdoing while kicking the subject into the long grass by pledging an investigation (which can report whatever after the media has moved on). Wrote that on my phone I'm sure the school could have done something better if they'd tried at all.

Still an almighty f**k up of course but everything that follows isn't the teachers/head's fault if they thought it was best to let the Police sort out the truth.
    Based on what logic? The kid didn't want to show the clock until forced to do so.

It was a flippant dismissal of your ludicrous question:
    No shit Sherlock, thanks for bolding the fact that my opinion was stated as my opinion. In other shocking news red is red and I'm not pretending to be the Oracle of Delphi.
    Ludicrous? Yout stated that "someone with settled opinions" reacts negatively when provided with contrary information yet failed to actually provide any such. So, please pardon me if I'm not really flabbergasted by your repeated failures to convey something meaningful, instead choosing to spout off your usual bullcrap "oh, the kid must have done something bad!" Orwellian Obey-The-Authorities act.

Par for the course. You don't even know what a "bomb hoax" actually is and you also get to repeat your party line: "It's not their fault if they didn't have a single working braincell!"

Hint: A bomb hoax must be displayed by the perpetrator himself. Also, I notice that you'd really have a hard-on for getting rid of "in dubio pro reo" - or put differently, your current line of thought: "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck - it must be a saber tiger!"

Here's a bit of information that derails your ranting and raving: I've not once said the kid has done anything bad.

If someone forgets his bag at, say, a station, by accident, and the station ebbs up being evacuated, bomb squad, everything, they're not punished for that usually are they?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Depends if they're a Muslim.

Here's a bit of information that derails your ranting and raving: I've not once said the kid has done anything bad.
    Then you should not repeatedly try to paint this as an attempt at a bomb hoax, Rand. Is that so hard to grasp?

Then you should not repeatedly try to paint this as an attempt at a bomb hoax, Rand. Is that so hard to grasp?
    He hasn't. I went back through the thread and could not find any instance where he said he agreed with the school or local police that it was a bomb hoax. Quite the opposite, he's said he doesn't think it was one and every time he references it as a bomb hoax it's preceded by variations of "they claim," "think think," etc.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

To be fair, he isn't saying this was a bomb hoax. He's just lending credibility to the idea that the teachers and the police legitimately thought that it was a bomb hoax and he's implying that this belief can be seen as reasonable which in turn makes their initial actions reasonable even though it seems fairly clear that much of the handling of this incident was not consistent with a sincere belief that Ahmed had attempted a bomb hoax. All to downplay the role of racism in the handling of this incident.

You're ascribing the wrong agenda to RB. His agenda is not to say that the kid did something bad. His agenda isn't even really to portray cops and teachers as being dumb. No, the goal is merely to render invisible (or at least to trivialize) those expressions of racism that don't count (in some people's books) as "real" racism.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    He hasn't. I went back through the thread and could not find any instance where he said he agreed with the school or local police that it was a bomb hoax. Quite the opposite, he's said he doesn't think it was one and every time he references it as a bomb hoax it's preceded by variations of "they claim," "think think," etc.
    Thank you.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    To be fair, he isn't saying this was a bomb hoax. He's just lending credibility to the idea that the teachers and the police legitimately thought that it was a bomb hoax and he's implying that this belief can be seen as reasonable which in turn makes their initial actions reasonable even though it seems fairly clear that much of the handling of this incident was not consistent with a sincere belief that Ahmed had attempted a bomb hoax. All to downplay the role of racism in the handling of this incident.

You're ascribing the wrong agenda to RB. His agenda is not to say that the kid did something bad. His agenda isn't even really to portray cops and teachers as being dumb. No, the goal is merely to render invisible (or at least to trivialize) those expressions of racism that don't count (in some people's books) as "real" racism.
    Close, I think they were quite possibly being dumb rather than racist. I don't think they were reasonable and I think that they could have been equally dumb had it been a white kid too. I've used the words and phrases "incompetence", "dumb", "ludicrous over-reaction", "travesty of justice and abuse of power", "unconstitutional f**k ups", "almighty f**k up" and "unacceptable. There should be an apology".

So yes I do think they were being dumb. I am concerned by the insistence to rush to saying its racist just because the victim here was Arabic - if it is a co-incidence and the next victim of an over-reaction like this was a white kid who got treated in the exact same way (denied parents while questioned etc) then it would be just as bad even if it doesn't get the same media coverage.