Thread: Rugby World Cup 2015

Default Rugby World Cup 2015

Kicks off tonight, with England v Fiji, in Twickenham.

England in the pool of death, but I think we're looking strong regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Harry kicks off proceedings.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

My wife's got our daughter a South African rugby kit and has decided this is a tournament where she'll support South Africa rather than England (since I decide football and cricket).

I have to admit that despite it being held in England the South African advert which she showed me on YouTube is far better than the English one on TV:

I didn't watch our first game last night, from what I heard it was a pretty poor performance even if it was a good result. I think we should be able to get through this group *touch wood*

Six weeks seems like a very long time for a World Cup to be going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Wow, that SA clip was superb - really inspiring.

Though I'm surprised you weren't too fond of the England one, with Chris Robshaw, Mike Brown, and Courtney Lawes. I really liked it.

Yep your wife has the same dilemma as me at times like this, being half english half south-african. Though being on home ground I'll support the English if they play against each other.

SA kick off their campaign this afternoon, against Japan, in Brighton of all places.

I watched the England v Fiji game last night in a pub in Twickenham. It was a good enough English performance. Fiji can be an unpredictable side, and they have some strong players. The towering Nemani Nadolo f'rinstance, who is truly a giant of a man.

I think there was quality enough in the England side, and against better opponents we will up our game. We got the crucial fourth try to get the bonus point too, in the last minute.

My wife's half-Scottish, half-South African. There's no dilemma for her

As she's not too bothered by sport its only an issue for who does our daughter support.

The English one is cute, but it is no more than that. The SA one gave me goosebumps in a way that the English one just didn't
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

What

The

Fuck

I was working so missed it but my wife who doesn't watch sports as a rule actually watched the whole game. Sounds like it would have been a great one to see.

It was an incredible game. The Saffers didn't play too badly but Japan just had a huge hunger. The upset of the tournament.

Scotland v SA on wednesday is going to be a great one to watch.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 09-20-2015 at 07:23 AM.

So Pool B has been blown wide open by Scotland comfortably seeing off Japan.

SA take on Samoa this afternoon. Hoping for better things.

Then tonight it's the first big one, England v Wales at Twickenham. This is the first of 3 matches at Twickenham that I've got tickets for - should be a good one.

Injury to Jonathan Joseph has meant a reshuffle by Lancaster. A more defensive line-up, and a bit of a gamble.

Gutted

Decision at the end not to kick penalty to equalise, but to go for the try and the win. Gutsy call but against an opponent like Wales, I don't think it was the right one.

Crunch match against Australia on the 3rd Oct. Lose that and England don't even advance beyond the pool stages.

South Africa v Wales was a great game!

Yep we were in the stadium for that one.

I'm hoarse from shouting so much, and hungover like hell this morning.

It was extremely tight. If it wasn't for Wales's handling errors and mistakes I'm not sure SA would have won. But what an off-load that led to Preez's try. Awesome stuff.

All Blacks vs France was something else altogether though. Highest winning margin in any World Cup knockout game. They don't look beatable. I predict it'll be their cup.

What the hell happened to Ireland?

Southern hemisphere dominating this tournament.

Not holding out much hope for Scotland v Australia in an hour.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 10-18-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Scotland dared to dream.

We were on Skype to my in-laws in Canada (father in law is Scottish) during the game, he is not normally a sport fan but was shouting at the ref at the end of that game for the last second penalty that gave it to Australia.