Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roseburg, Oregon. Yet Another Gun Massacre

Default Yet Another Gun Massacre (Renamed ...)

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Oregon college shooting: Nine dead in Roseburg attack
    10 if you include the killer; yet another lone loon.

How many gun massacres in the US is that so far?
    This year?

Obama saying such shootings are now routine.

How completely depressing.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 12-03-2015 at 07:58 AM.

40th school shooting this year, 141st since Sandyhook (including on campus suicides)

We are a country full of unmitigated poverty, mental illness, rage, and dissatisfaction In general. Throw in 24/7 media coverage and easy to access firearms, what exactly are people expecting to change?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    40th school shooting this year, 141st since Sandyhook (including on campus suicides)

We are a country full of unmitigated poverty, mental illness, rage, and dissatisfaction In general. Throw in 24/7 media coverage and easy to access firearms, what exactly are people expecting to change?
    And we have it much better than most of the world. :0

I blame the entitlement generation. Kids are told all of their life that they are special (they aren't), they are smart (not everyone can be smart), that they can be anything they want to be (possibly but only with hard work and then in some cases not even then). Basically people are growing up thinking the world owes them something and when life isn't an unmitigated success they react badly.

What? that's just retarded
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

It's really not that out there. I think there is something narcissistic -- and perhaps generationalll narcissistic -- about these attacks. Obviously the perpetrators exist on a spectrum of sanity and mental competence, but there are plenty who seem to merely be unhappy with how live is treating them and lashing out at a world they think should be treating them better.

Ironically, many of them have sufficient affluence to purchase multiple firearms. Go figure.

It looks like we're now getting faux outrage by Christians for being targeted by one crazy person who happened to hold anti-Christian beliefs. Meanwhile, the same left that was willing to declare the existence of a war against African Americans by white supremacists is conveniently ignoring the current idiot's beliefs. Is it asking too much for these people to maintain a modicum of consistency?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    It's really not that out there. I think there is something narcissistic -- and perhaps generationalll narcissistic -- about these attacks. Obviously the perpetrators exist on a spectrum of sanity and mental competence, but there are plenty who seem to merely be unhappy with how live is treating them and lashing out at a world they think should be treating them better.
    To be clear, actual narcissism is a disorder. That said, I must admit I can't recall many of these shooters being perfectly normal people who were just peeved by how things weren't just as perfect as they had been led to expect by their loving parents. I think that maybe if Lewk is accidentally right about 5% of these shooters he is in fact wrong.

Anyway, we should all be blaming 4chan for this latest tragedy.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It looks like we're now getting faux outrage by Christians for being targeted by one crazy person who happened to hold anti-Christian beliefs. Meanwhile, the same left that was willing to declare the existence of a war against African Americans by white supremacists is conveniently ignoring the current idiot's beliefs. Is it asking too much for these people to maintain a modicum of consistency?
    Everyone must declare their victimhood so they can see which rung they are assigned to on the Grievance Stack.
    Last edited by Veldan Rath; 10-07-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Obama has shown tremendous cowardice here mouthing platitudes about how 'something must be done' time and again about guns but without trying to actually do anything like attempting to abolish the second amendment.

Of course it won't be easy or even possible to do it, but until you try nothing is. Obama was quite happy to be compared to prior presidents who dared speak the unspeakable and do the undoable but he's not a shade on them. He's fighting easy fights only, and then everything else is meaningless empty platitudes.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Probably won't happen here in my lifetime; Americans all wanna be cowboys.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...kHK?li=AAa0dzB
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    To be clear, actual narcissism is a disorder. That said, I must admit I can't recall many of these shooters being perfectly normal people who were just peeved by how things weren't just as perfect as they had been led to expect by their loving parents. I think that maybe if Lewk is accidentally right about 5% of these shooters he is in fact wrong.

Anyway, we should all be blaming 4chan for this latest tragedy.
    Well, none of the shooters are normal. Otherwise all us Merikans would be dead in a non-stop shootout.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/us...dont-kill.html

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Obama has shown tremendous cowardice here mouthing platitudes about how 'something must be done' time and again about guns but without trying to actually do anything like attempting to abolish the second amendment.

Of course it won't be easy or even possible to do it, but until you try nothing is. Obama was quite happy to be compared to prior presidents who dared speak the unspeakable and do the undoable but he's not a shade on them. He's fighting easy fights only, and then everything else is meaningless empty platitudes.
    Similar to how Obama somehow gets credit for advancing gay rights in any context besides the military.

Trying to abolish the second amendment in a country where very few want to abolish the second amendment? It's a non-starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    This year?
    Article today points to an answer to the latter question.

Why do some mass shootings make the news and some don't?

Last week, a gunman killed nine people at a community college in Oregon. Several hours later, another man shot three in Florida. Only one made international news.

Walter "Buzz" Terhune was a Vietnam veteran who moved to Florida to care for his elderly parents. He loved kids, helping other veterans and participating in civic life in tiny Inglis, a commercial fishing town near Florida's west coast.

Terhune didn't know Otis Ray Bean, but that didn't stop the 68-year-old from coming to Bean's aid when he was shot across the street from where Terhune was getting cash at a bank.

The shooter then turned his weapon on Terhune, then his estranged wife, then himself.

"It was so like him to go to save somebody else," says Lea Terhune, Walter's sister. "Buzz would not run the other way."

Walter Terhune stumbled into what would turn out to be one of two mass killings in the US on 1 October. The first occurred several hours earlier, 3,000 miles away in Roseburg, Oregon, when a 26-year-old man opened fire inside a classroom at Umpqua Community College. He wounded dozens and killed at least nine people before he shot himself.

Like many other Americans, Wendy Harvey was following the news from her home in Steamboat Spring, Colorado, when she got a call from a relative saying her uncle Buzzy had also been involved in a shooting. She was at home with her son at the time.

"It's a hard conversation to tell your six-year-old that his favourite uncle just got shot and killed," she says. "Oregon is going on and all of a sudden you hear from Florida that it's your uncle. It can happen to anyone."

Both incidents would be classified as "active shooter" incidents - defined as "an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people" - and also could both be considered "mass killings", defined by one federal statute as three or more people killed.

But Oregon has overshadowed what happened in Inglis, with no national media attention devoted to the latter. It is in part a matter of timing - Oregon happened first - and a matter of numbers. The Oregon shooting had more than three times as many casualties.

Still, says Harvey, this paints a disturbing portrait of gun violence in the US today.

"It's become such the norm," she says. "That's a sad state of affairs if someone kills three people and it's just not that big of a deal."

According to local news reports in Florida, 57-year-old Walter Tyson went to the unpainted wooden house across from Inglis's city hall to confront his estranged wife Patricia and her new boyfriend, Bean. Tyson was armed. Witnesses said Terhune had tried to stop Tyson by telling him he was shooting close to a park where children were playing.

"He talks to vets a lot that have PTSD and all these things. He feels like he can talk to them and relate to them," says Harvey. "I'm sure in his head he thought he could talk to this person."

According to the FBI, the number of "active shooter" incidents rose in frequency between 2000 and 2013. It reported that there were an average of 16.4 active shooter events each year between 2007 to 2013, compared to an average of 6.4 incidents from 2000 to 2006.

While there is no universally accepted definition of a "mass shooting", using the federal statute that defines it as three or more killed shows that they are also on the rise. (Other measures of incidents of mass violence exclude ones that began as a domestic dispute, or ones where the victims knew one another.)

There have been more "mass shootings" than days of the year so far in 2015.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I will refuse to participate in, nor tolerate enforcement actions against citizens that are deemed unconstitutional.
    Well that's fine, isn't it? Just I fear he means "that I deem unconstitutional"...
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Changing our abolishing the constitution on the gun issue isn't really possible at the moment.

Not like he's done completely nothing though:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-21049942

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-proposal.html

Any bum can propose legislation. What has he done to get it passed? Has he twisted the arms of moderate Democrats to get them on board? Has he made a convincing and consistent case to the public? Has he directed his proxies to do the same? Has he offered concessions and carrots to moderate Republicans to at least consider his views?

Any bum can propose legislation. What has he done to get it passed? Has he twisted the arms of moderate Democrats to get them on board? Has he made a convincing and consistent case to the public? Has he directed his proxies to do the same? Has he offered concessions and carrots to moderate Republicans to at least consider his views?
    I don't know. Has he not done that? Besides, what carrots and concessions would weigh up against NRA and voter support? To get to moderate republicans who are probably already under attack from the right but should be persuaded to go against one of their party's big talking points? Look, I'm not saying he has done great things, but is this his fault? Gun legislation seems frankly unlikely to improve much in your country, and I don't think that's the president's fault but the population's. And RandBlade is then pissed that the president hasn't tried to change the fucking constitution against both congressional and public support? Please. At least try to be realistic.

And he did some executive orders, so that's not nothing I suppose, though I obviously have no idea whether that's a bare minimum he can do (legally or politically) or something substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    10 if you include the killer; yet another lone loon.

This year?

Obama saying such shootings are now routine.

How completely depressing.
    Aren't shootings down since the 1990s?

I'm obviously biased as I"m a gun owner, my wife is also, we both have concealed carry permits, and we both go the range to practice on the regular.

Having a sister and a brother in law who are cops, and hearing their stories also definitely biases our opinions.... plus I'm still doing the fraud investigation thing (and most fraud is perpetuated by organized crime).

I'll be damned if I'm going to leave the protection of myself, my future children and my property to the police who aren't always around. Hell, I'd even protect my neighbors, or a stranger if I was able.
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

I love that this is how american politics are graded. Not on the merit or need of a certain bill, but how much someone is blowing others to get it passed.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Are you serious? We should judge people on good intentions instead of actual actions?

Quote Originally Posted by flixy's link
    Proposed Congressional Actions
    Requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales, including those by private sellers that currently are exempt.
    Reinstating and strengthening the ban on assault weapons that was in place from 1994 to 2004.
    Limiting ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.
    Banning the possession of armor-piercing bullets by anyone other than members of the military and law enforcement.
    Increasing criminal penalties for "straw purchasers," people who pass the required background check to buy a gun on behalf of someone else.
    Acting on a $4 billion administration proposal to help keep 15,000 police officers on the street.
    Confirming President Obama's nominee for director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
    Eliminating a restriction that requires the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to allow the importation of weapons that are more than 50 years old.
    Financing programs to train more police officers, first responders and school officials on how to respond to active armed attacks.
    Provide additional $20 million to help expand the a system that tracks violent deaths across the nation from 18 states to 50 states.
    Providing $30 million in grants to states to help schools develop emergency response plans.
    Providing financing to expand mental health programs for young people.

Executive actions
    Issuing a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
    Addressing unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
    Improving incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
    Directing the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
    Proposing a rule making to give law enforcement authorities the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
    Publishing a letter from the A.T.F. to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
    Starting a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
    Reviewing safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
    Issuing a presidential memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
    Releasing a report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and making it widely available to law enforcement authorities.
    Nominating an A.T.F. director.
    Providing law enforcement authorities, first responders and school officials with proper training for armed attacks situations.
    Maximizing enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
    Issuing a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to research gun violence.
    Directing the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenging the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
    Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
    Releasing a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
    Providing incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    Developing model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
    Releasing a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
    Finalizing regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within insurance exchanges.
    Committing to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
    Starting a national dialogue on mental health led by Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of health and human services, and Arne Duncan, the secretary of education.
    some of the stuff is little more than "better training" lip service, but some of this stuff can change how criminal cases, weapons, and the mentally ill are handled. The whitehouse created this and proposed this. If he puts into action what he can, and lays the rest at congress' feet, thats acting. If congress decides to not act because the whitehouse didn't give them enough sugar, that goes back to my original statement.

How much of that which is not lip service would be struck down by the SCOTUS due to the second amendment?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

How much of that which is not lip service would be struck down by the SCOTUS due to the second amendment?
    The only one I see that there could be any issue with is "Maximizing enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime." and thats only is the enforcement goes overboard. But thats one of the lip service lines anyway.

The congress ones at the top of the list are already, or have been, done in some fashion. These seem to expand or tighten those rules. for example, i'd compare the armor pricing with hollow point ban that the SCOTUS let stand over the summer.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-07-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Yes, Timbuk...this is depressing.

We've either become numb to all the gun deaths, or skeptical that things will change/improve. I agree with Obama's statement that the press/media needs to publish facts that actually inform and educate people, instead of giving carte blanche press coverage to politicians who repeat falsehoods and propaganda.

Mandating background checks, with a nationally connected data base, and closing gun-show or pawn shop loopholes are logical parts of gun safety regulation.....and that doesn't mean "repealing the 2nd Amendment", no matter how hard the NRA tries to say so.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yes, Timbuk...this is depressing.

We've either become numb to all the gun deaths, or skeptical that things will change/improve. I agree with Obama's statement that the press/media needs to publish facts that actually inform and educate people, instead of giving carte blanche press coverage to politicians who repeat falsehoods and propaganda.

Mandating background checks, with a nationally connected data base, and closing gun-show or pawn shop loopholes are logical parts of gun safety regulation.....and that doesn't mean "repealing the 2nd Amendment", no matter how hard the NRA tries to say so.

GGT, would you agree that this already exist for car sales? There is a national database that tracks cars being sold in the US?
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    How again would any of those measures have prevented this tragedy?

Are you serious? We should judge people on good intentions instead of actual actions?
    You know the political situation in the US better than me - do you think Obama has any realistic chance of getting significant gun control legislation passed?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You know the political situation in the US better than me - do you think Obama has any realistic chance of getting significant gun control legislation passed?
    Significant: not really. Some kind of progress? Probably. Has Obama expended enough political capital for us to know for sure? No.

It would take Obama attempting to in order to move the Overton window and let it become possible. If everyone waited until change was already possible "realistically" then the US would still have slavery let alone civil rights.