Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: October in America

I think the Angels is actually a great choice. Having Trout and Ohtani on a single team - combined with some other decent players - will really change the shape of that division. Should be exciting to see, if he pans out the way the hype suggests!

I had an interesting conversation with a baseball maven friend of mine, and he argued that it almost makes more sense for Ohtani to go to a NL team if he can play a decent outfielder in a platoon formation. The argument is that as a DH he's replacing a slugger in the slot, so it's likely he'd only be a middling-good DH. But replacing the (normally awful) pitcher spot in an NL rotation every 5 games, the increase in offensive WAR would get noticeable. And if we can play platoon in the outfield, that gives him even more value. The last seems a bit of a stretch since they probably don't want to risk the health of their pitcher for a middling good offensive player, but the DH vs. pitcher slot is a good point.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I guess we'll have to make do with Judge and Stanton.

And I agree, Ohtani would be better off on an NL team. I suppose the Angels save on the need to get a full-time DH. But those are pretty cheap, and probably not much worse than Ohtani even if Ohtani lives up to expectations on the batting end.
    Hope is the denial of reality