Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spanish Video Piracy Dooms Video Business

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Is it unreasonable to assume that the people who download the most music/movies are very interested in music/movies?
    Is it unreasonable to declare conclusions when you have absolutely nothing to support them?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    This quote:

Thats what the courts in Spain just decided on. I think its silly to base an article like this around a ruling you haven't been able to see the effects of yet. If the link was bad (I was online way to early), my bad. Try this one: http://torrentfreak.com/file-sharing...-spain-100315/
    The article didn't referenced proposed legislation to make piracy illegal, not the court case verifying that it isn't illegal if there's no profit involved. That still leaves a gaping legal chasm of piracy being legal. The judge just interpreted the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I don't know, but I know that I would prefer a formal channel where I can buy and download what I want rather than the situation I have right now. And you may call me an optimist, but I think most people are willing to pay in order to get something really good.
    Almost every digitial distribution service in existence now came about partly because of, or after, the market was saturated with unchecked piracy by users. Itunes didn't create the mp3 market, and napster's death didn't kill the downloading trend. When is the last time you heard of a user getting sued for downloading a video game? Yet services like Steam, Direct2Download, and & Impluse are making a bloody killing.

Sure there have been attempts that have failed, but are you going to blame those on piracy instead of the service sucking? Sony beat Apple to the download market, but they wanted something like $5 for a song that expired. Now I wonder why people didn't flock to that idea.
    To address both of these at once, I agree people are plenty willing to pay for legitimate downloads and reliable service. I pay for all of my music and movies from LaLa (<3 89 cent MP3s) and Amazon (MP3s and movies), and watch Hulu.

But the Spanish situation shows an extreme situation that can develop when piracy isn't even illegal. A country where you can download any copyright content with complete legal impunity will naturally make that country a piss-poor place for any kind of intellectual property to develop.

This doesn't concern you beyond just talking about pirating entertainment?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    But the Spanish situation shows an extreme situation that can develop when piracy isn't even illegal. A country where you can download any copyright content with complete legal impunity will naturally make that country a piss-poor place for any kind of intellectual property to develop.

I think it means the market will have to change. Not that intellectual property won't develop. Products and business plans need to develop that go beyond piracy.
    The last Blu-Ray movie I purchased, I purchased at full price, on its 1st day of release. The Watchmen. Not really a movie worth paying full price for, much less Blu-Ray full price; especially since there were more releases in the pipe-line that would include more features. I bought it because it offered me a once in a lifetime opportunity to watch the movie with live director commentary and viewer questions. Easily the best DVD experience I've ever had (don't think I would have learned about the Comedian's giant dildo without it).

So a legit DVD isn't keeping the country's interest. Question should be "What will keep their interest", not "who can we sue"

Yeah, but that's sort of like saying, "Your store didn't have metal gates, so you should develop better technology to prevent me from prying open the lock at night and taking your wares."

Of course the technology can/should/will change, no one is denying that. But I think that's a rather shallow excuse. You can legally download or stream stuff digitally now, yet it seems you still pirate movies. I just don't understand how you can justify it. It seems you just don't like spending the money.

PS- Comedian had a dildo?

Yeah, but that's sort of like saying, "Your store didn't have metal gates, so you should develop better technology to prevent me from prying open the lock at night and taking your wares."
    I didn't mention DRM at all. Theft is still theft, but these companies were to slow to act, its socially acceptable, thats not something they can just sue to fix.
    Of course the technology can/should/will change, no one is denying that. But I think that's a rather shallow excuse. You can legally download or stream stuff digitally now, yet it seems you still pirate movies. I just don't understand how you can justify it. It seems you just don't like spending the money.
    Are we sure Spain has the same distribution rights as other countries? I know thats a huge program with digital games, our old Atari wouldn't sell anything digitally outside of the US, and I know Steam charges $90 for a game in Australia when they charge $60 in the US.
    Or do you mean me personally?

PS- Comedian had a dildo?
    One of the first scenes of his apartment, its beside the TV I think. Its freaking huge, like the size of a midget.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 04-01-2010 at 03:28 AM.

It must be worth something to other; otherwise they wouldn't spend the time and effort to download it.
    There isn't much effort involved though. Or time really (well for a computer yes, but not the person involved). I mean, you can spend a few minutes to just setup a computer to automatically scrape a torrent aggregation site for stuff to download, then download it.

Is it unreasonable to assume that the people who download the most music/movies are very interested in music/movies?
    Some people do it because they like hoarding data, or because they can. They have no intention of ever watching everything they download.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Some people do it because they like hoarding data, or because they can. They have no intention of ever watching everything they download.
    Or play, I've got about 500GBs of games installed on my machine, some I've never loaded, and I've only really played about 10 of them.

WTF? Reading this thread is a big huge WTF are you people doing? What do you do with your spare time? Seriously. I can't figure out if you're talking about video piracy, or SPANISH video piracy, or video business in general.

Then there's the system bragging. GBs and machine capability. Stuff you "have" but have not used yet.

Is this a disguised Great Big Penis Competition?

Or play, I've got about 500GBs of games installed on my machine, some I've never loaded, and I've only really played about 10 of them.
    So downloading games illegally is fine, but not looking at ads on websites is bad? You sure have a weird sense of morality.
    Hope is the denial of reality

shh, maybe he has a tiny penis and doesn't like to talk about it!

Or do you mean me personally?
    You personally.

One of the first scenes of his apartment, its beside the TV I think. Its freaking huge, like the size of a midget.
    I've seen the movie maybe three times and never noticed that. I just tried to find a screengrab and was disappointed to just find a lot of pictures of the comedian...next to images of dildos.

So downloading games illegally is fine, but not looking at ads on websites is bad? You sure have a weird sense of morality.
    Anyone ever tell you that you are a fucking idiot?
    You personally.
    You too.

I might be more open minded about the usefulness of p2p programs, but I've never even suggested that I steal most or even a fraction of my content. This is something you two morons created on your own, simply from my position. I do in fact support the industries you dicks claim I'm stealing from. I have two games installed I did not pay for (American McGees Alice in Wonderland & Rapeplay, neither of which are still being published), 0 songs and 0 movies on my computer that I do not own.
    My first comment was about hoarding data, how I install stuff but never remove it, and how I have a 1TB drive thats used solely to store all the promotional stuff that companies put out surrounding their games (wallpapers, videos, patches, demos).

I'll try to get a shot of the dildo tomorrow morning.

PROTIP: Each word is a different link.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 04-01-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Yeah, but is this little penis stuff or what?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yeah, but is this little penis stuff or what?
    This coming from the user who created the "Collections!" thread

This coming from the user who created the "Collections!" thread
    So? Pretty sure I did not say one collection was better than the other, but they were all legal at least.

Are you now saying that your video or music collection downloads are better because you could hack them without paying for them?

Are you now saying that your video or music collection downloads are better because you could hack them without paying for them?
    Christ GGT, did you even attempt to read my post above? WTF is this about hacking and without paying for what?

GGT, Consider how frequently he uses the word "dick", I think I'm starting to agree with you.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Congratulations, you've now used the word just as often as I have.

Pirating is code for tiny penis syndrome. I don't even know who started this thread and I don't care. It's the geek equivalent of boys on the wrestling mat, or grown men in world wrestling, pitching their balls around. It's stupid stuff. Just like that idiot whatshisname with a bandana and fake tan, getting his own show. Buncha punks posing as pirates with eye patches, drinking grog and saying Aye, matey!

Pirating is code for tiny penis syndrome. I don't even know who started this thread and I don't care. It's the geek equivalent of boys on the wrestling mat, or grown men in world wrestling, pitching their balls around. It's stupid stuff. Just like that idiot whatshisname with a bandana and fake tan, getting his own show. Buncha punks posing as pirates with eye patches, drinking grog and saying Aye, matey!
    What

The

Fuck
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I'll admit that my own track record for movies and games is pretty crap. I only own ~70 DVDs but have downloaded a lot more, though I do visit the cinema regularly. Then again, I honestly wouldn't know where to download movies legally (but i never bothered looking for it either). And I download series that are not on tv here, or that are on at impossible hours here. I hardly ever play games and get bored really quickly so I don't think they are worth my money.

I download most (3/4) of my music illegally, but this does help me discover bands that I later see live. I spend about hundreds of euros every year on tickets, CDs, vinyl, shirts, sweaters, etc., and I'd probably spend less if I didn't download music (how would I know a band is worth visiting?)

There is seriously something wrong with you.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I have two games installed I did not pay for (American McGees Alice in Wonderland & Rapeplay, neither of which are still being published), 0 songs and 0 movies on my computer that I do not own.
    Your taste in games looks pretty repulsive.

There is seriously something wrong with you.
    Agreed. GGT has gone off into penis crazy land.

The article didn't referenced proposed legislation to make piracy illegal, not the court case verifying that it isn't illegal if there's no profit involved. That still leaves a gaping legal chasm of piracy being legal. The judge just interpreted the law.

To address both of these at once, I agree people are plenty willing to pay for legitimate downloads and reliable service. I pay for all of my music and movies from LaLa (<3 89 cent MP3s) and Amazon (MP3s and movies), and watch Hulu.

Actually, downloading copyrighted material isn't illegal in Holland either. The only thing that's illegal is offering it. And no, I don't think you are right.
    Congratulations America

I've seen the movie maybe three times and never noticed that. I just tried to find a screengrab and was disappointed to just find a lot of pictures of the comedian...next to images of dildos.
    I'll try to get a shot of the dildo tomorrow morning.

PROTIP: Each word is a different link.

Comedian Dildo, within the first minute of the movie:
    Click to view the full version Click to view the full version

Awesome way to take screen caps there, buddy

And I think it's supposed to be a sculpture, not a dildo, albeit of a penis

One could try and use it as a dildo, but by that definition most household objects are dildos
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Awesome way to take screen caps there, buddy

And I think it's supposed to be a sculpture, not a dildo, albeit of a penis

One could try and use it as a dildo, but by that definition most household objects are dildos
    I don't have Blu-Ray on the computer, and I don't mess with the PS3 to figure out if its got a snapshot option, and I'd be surprised if it did.
    Snyder pointed it out, called it a dildo, said he put it in there cause he figured the Comedian would be into freaky shit.

Fair enough.

Thank you for that. Wow.

What was the explanation for it?

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Really, WTF is going on here?

I clicked looking for some debate about piracy, and instead get GGT ranting about penises.

I've seen some thread drift, but this takes the cake.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Thank you for that. Wow.

What was the explanation for it?
    Dildos, like butterflies, need no excuse!