Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New and Improved: My area sucks more than yours!

Exclamation New and Improved: My area sucks more than yours!

An extension of the messed up groove thread?

Besides lolli posting stupid Georgia stuff, OG posting stupid Florida stuff, and me posting stupid Pennsylvania stuff, maybe we can decide The Worst Places in the US!

PA sucks because:
    The capitol of Harrisburg is broke and considering filing bankruptcy.
    High property and income taxes, high corporate taxes, heavy union influence.
    Philly---'nuff said? Rolling mobs turning violent in the City of Brotherly Love.
    Dover---home of the Intelligent Design taught in school fight.
    Snyder v Westboro---Matthew's funeral was picketed with signs saying God Hates Fags, etc.
    PenDoT---we have the worst roads in the country. Avoid the turnpike (hiked rates recently too)
    Home of Three Mile Island---right next to our *Harrisburg* airport.
    Rust Belt + Bible Belt---can it be more strange?
    Favorite Hobby = deer hunting. They even close school for the season's start.
    Favorite Food = cheese steaks and pizza. Also considered the Snack Food Capitol of the World.
    Favorite slang = youse and/or yo
    Best Known for Hershey chocolate and Heinz? (Hershey moved to Mexico, Heinz got into politics)
    Tourism for Amish buggies, shoo fly pie, tax-free clothes, Philly. (see above)
    Services = mostly provincial, fragmented, duplicated, expensive.
    State owned beer, wine and spirits.

I'm sure there's more, but I'll give you guys a turn.
    Last edited by GGT; 03-31-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: *

My areas real estate is 120% overpriced!

oops, Game Rule....must mention at least your state or province. Otherwise we can't compile a list of Suck Factor places

Everythings great here in western Colorado. Except for the BLM restricting access to public lands more and more. Oh, and the giving of that land to drilling companies, who drill and cap wells that are not going to used for years, possibly decades. Mountain passes blocked by rockslides, roads heavily damaged by same requiring lots of tax $$$ and weeks to repair. All this thanks to the wonderful "Rockslide Abatement" projects carried by CDOT, which tied up traffic nearly as bad as the closure/detour. Too many wannabe cowboys. I could probably find more to complain about, but those are the ones biting my ass the most.
    I hope I wasn't supposed to put this list into bullet-points. Oh, that reminds me, we've also got hunting clubs where the wannabe cowboys can show off there talents for killing trapped birds.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

So far PA keeps its #1 Suck Factor. We have sliding rocks and blocked roads too, from "mountains" like Kittatinny. Those are like pimples compared to your Rocky mountains. We suck so bad, even our mountains are molehills.

Damn you PA. damn you to hell.

edit: Hey GiGi, how many points do I get for the heavy Halliburton presence?

Many points for evil presence, corporate coyotes, yee haw! Also, you have John Denver and all that hippie rep to deal with.

Denver, the home of.... wannabe cowboys and hippies? That's like Rhinestone Cowboy stuff, right? Vinnie with a gold neck chain, boots and a stetson, saying, "Yo! Youse guys seen any dem goddamm tree huggin' hippies 'round here?"

Denver is on the other side of the mountain. where civilised folk stay. This the west, ma'am. OMG save me, please. Over here The few of us hippies that exist can feel the 'tolerance' of the good, god fearing people who make this land great.

That's the best you can do, rummy? As far as Suckage goes, youse be way down on da list.

(Maybe I should plan on retiring in CO then, as long as it's not some snarky ski town?)

I live in Arkansas. Do I really need to list the reasons why it sucks?

Hmmm.... this must be the thread GG was spamming the Crucifixion thread about.

Well, I'd have thought everyone would just accept that yeah, Michigan's as messed up as it gets. That may not be true though. I like Michigan, despite the hicks, the unemployment, the bad roads, the smoking (ban goes in effect in May (sorry Ziggy, but I'm geeked about it)). I don't hate it here enough to argue it's worse than any place else. Maybe I'll go all contrarian:

• Michigan is better than the East and Gulf Coast because we don't get hurricanes.
    • Better than California coast because we don't get earthquakes and we don't catch on fire annually.
    • Better than the South West because we don't have drought issues, we're not a drug and human trafficking corridor, and we don't have Texans.
    • Better than the Great Plains because we rarely have tornados - and in a state with lots of trailer parks, that's a big deal.
    • Better than the Pacific Northwest because we don't have volcanos and we don't have the 335 days of rain per year.
    • Michigan is home to the largest fresh water body in the world. Forests and lakes and coast lines with beaches dunes and cliffs. We have seasons! The fall is particularly nice and the stars at night in the UP are wonderful.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Fuck you. You took my thread and twisted it! This is what I expected from the Eye:

Michigan sucks because:

We have Detroit, 'nuff said.
    Big ass black flies and mosquitos, since we don't spray.
    Lots of Canadian down dwellers, bringing their fucking hockey and ice fishing with them.
    Michigan Militia. It's in the news, read it.
    Wisconsin is next door, we can't keep up with their FreshNess.
    Universities....well, we have some big ones, with sports programs, are they famous?
    Lavonia and Birmingham---don't let that confuse you, we are a melting pot!
    Legacy = cars, smog, unions, Ford, GM, Michael Moore.
    Tourism = gazing at museums about Ford and GM
    Favorite Food = Cereal? Fish? What the fuck is your favorite food?
    Best Known for---Kellogg, Ford, hockey, other violent enemas
    Slang---we accept any slang from Canada, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota
    Best Kept Secret---Upper Penninsula. You Betcha!
    Famous For---Detroit, cars, Ford, Kellogg, unions, lots of other failed stuff. Ice fishing. Great Lakes. Flooding.
    Local Stars---besides Moore, there's that actor that no one can name, but we all know his face, pimping MI as the next sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by 2HD View Post
    I live in Arkansas. Do I really need to list the reasons why it sucks?
    You do? I always thought you were in Texas, not sure why.

You have my condolences. Arkansas may lead the top ten of SuckNess, without even having to explain Why. Even your name is a rip-off from Kansas. Plus, there's that whole Clinton legacy. Maybe someone from Texarkansas can top you as the strangest place in the union?

I live in paradise and everything is awesome.
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    I live in paradise and everything is awesome.
    Really? The land of milk and honey? Paradiso? What if 80 million US seniors get whiff of this place, and decide to go there? They may start out as tourists, bringing money and stuff, but eventually they will break a hip or have a heart attack or something. Will you take care of them or kick them out?

When a man is tired of London he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.

- Samuel Johnson
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    the smoking (ban goes in effect in May (sorry Ziggy, but I'm geeked about it))
    Bar ban? And apology accepted.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Hmm, can't say i hate where i live.

The map shows part of the main town of 'Lowestoft' which is an old port/fishing town, however due to the industry dying it's no longer as prosperous as it once was. Where i live (south of the red line) is called Oulton Broad which is sort of an inner suburb/village.

During the summer i get fantastic views of the broads where i can see sailing and other marine vehicles. Plus the powerboat season starts so i have free entertainment. The housing market around me is extemely expensive which is a little frustrating but understandable due to the location and also size of the houses in general.

The area is quiet as well, i've gone out for walks late at night and i don't have to worry.

The area also looks wonderful when it snows (I could post pics if i remembered my camera) as well.

I'm only a few miles away from the beach as well should i want it. The only down side to that is i have to go through Lowestoft to get to it and i hate Lowestoft in general.

It's amazing when you see the difference between the two places when you go from one to the other so quickly.

Being from London i never thought i'd enjoy such open spaces, but truth be told the lifestyle around here is so much more relaxed. London is constant movement, no one relaxes or stops to take things in. Where i am i can stop my car, look at the sunset or the landscape and smile. I'm not taking anything away from London mind you as it's trump card is it's diverse night/social life which no town IMO can replicate.

You don't mind putting up with all the Norfolk inbreds?

Yeps I have driven up to Norfolk quite a few times as my dad was working on the sea defences along there, between the tiny villages of Sea Palling and Happisburgh, north or Yarmouth. Quite pretty out there by the sea ... though it's often been bleak wintertime when I've visited. Brrr!

London life is indeed v v busy, and by and large I love it. Though I know what you mean about open spaces, you do need to escape from time to time and get away from hustles and bustles.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Great looking habitat Lor!
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Is he a zoo animal? Do his keepers give him enrichment items?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

In the summer they give him frozen bananas
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    When a man is tired of London he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.

- Samuel Johnson
    Douglas Adams wrote a quip about that in one of the Hitchhiker books; someone said "If you're tired of [planet], you're tired of life" and the next day the number of suicides reached astronomic heights.

Make of that what you will.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Fuck you. You took my thread and twisted it! This is what I expected from the Eye:

Michigan sucks because:

We have Detroit, 'nuff said.
    Big ass black flies and mosquitos, since we don't spray.
    Lots of Canadian down dwellers, bringing their fucking hockey and ice fishing with them.
    Michigan Militia. It's in the news, read it.
    Wisconsin is next door, we can't keep up with their FreshNess.
    Universities....well, we have some big ones, with sports programs, are they famous?
    Lavonia and Birmingham---don't let that confuse you, we are a melting pot!
    Legacy = cars, smog, unions, Ford, GM, Michael Moore.
    Tourism = gazing at museums about Ford and GM
    Favorite Food = Cereal? Fish? What the fuck is your favorite food?
    Best Known for---Kellogg, Ford, hockey, other violent enemas
    Slang---we accept any slang from Canada, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota
    Best Kept Secret---Upper Penninsula. You Betcha!
    Famous For---Detroit, cars, Ford, Kellogg, unions, lots of other failed stuff. Ice fishing. Great Lakes. Flooding.
    Local Stars---besides Moore, there's that actor that no one can name, but we all know his face, pimping MI as the next sliced bread
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

You don't mind putting up with all the Norfolk inbreds?

Yeps I have driven up to Norfolk quite a few times as my dad was working on the sea defences along there, between the tiny villages of Sea Palling and Happisburgh, north or Yarmouth. Quite pretty out there by the sea ... though it's often been bleak wintertime when I've visited. Brrr!

London life is indeed v v busy, and by and large I love it. Though I know what you mean about open spaces, you do need to escape from time to time and get away from hustles and bustles.
    I'm in Suffolk, so i don't care. Passport control won't let the bastards in!

Yarmouth is a foul place, one I'm happy to say i don't visit on a regular basis. I absolutely hate the place! I had to go there a few weeks ago, we parked up and walked through the shopping area. I actually felt so dirty being there, i wanted to go home and shower.

oops - shows how little I know of non-Londonsville. Forgot Lowestoft was suffolk.

Thought Yarmouth was a holiday destination? Never been into it meself.

Or is it a holiday destination like Blackpool or Bognor Regis or Clacton? A kitcsh seedy shithole in other words ...

oops - shows how little I know of non-Londonsville. Forgot Lowestoft was suffolk.

Thought Yarmouth was a holiday destination? Never been into it meself.

Or is it a holiday destination like Blackpool or Bognor Regis or Clacton? A kitcsh seedy shithole in other words ...
    Yarmouth is a holiday destination if you're a Chav™. It's a shithole.

Both the association and the school board were reluctant to share specific data on the offers each side is making, citing the ongoing negotiations. By Thursday morning, the school board’s negotiating team, led by board president Dennis Helm, posted a letter to the community on the district’s Web site asserting increasing teacher salary and benefits would be an additional burden for taxpayers already saddled with unemployment, stagnant salaries and their own increased health costs.

“We have good teachers,” Helm said. “I want to keep them. If Bruce (Deveney, the superintendent) came to me and said we weren’t getting applications, or we were losing people, we would move immediately to rectify that. But we’re not, and it would be irresponsible to give more than our negotiated piece away.”

Among the 24 member schools in the Capital Area Intermediate Unit, East Pennsboro’s master’s level teachers have the 5th highest salary — with West Shore, Harrisburg, Susquehanna Township and Derry Township ranking higher. East Pennsboro teachers at the top of the bachelor’s degree scale had the third-highest salary.

By contrast, what East Pennsboro teachers contribute to health care is among the lowest in the midstate, with family plan deductions about $23 a week, with no deductibles and a $20 office co-pay.
    morons

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Really? The land of milk and honey? Paradiso? What if 80 million US seniors get whiff of this place, and decide to go there? They may start out as tourists, bringing money and stuff, but eventually they will break a hip or have a heart attack or something. Will you take care of them or kick them out?

We have thousands of square miles of desert, if a bunch of retired Americans turn up we'll just have to fleece them and bury the bodies in the desert.

Seriously tho, we do have an aging population so clearly we should be having more children so we can leave all our problems for them and hopefully delay reality for another generation, at least then we scan still keep partying like it's 1999.

Such is Life...

Gee, Gigi, how can I bitch such an idyllic place? I've got the mountains, I've got work, I've got family and friends, I've got THE ROCKY FUCKING MOUNTAINS BABY!!! Taxes? Movie stars? Meh, don't give a damn. Well the stars like Aspen, I guess, I don't. I've got the Grand Mesa in my backyard. Over 300 lakes atop the worlds largest flat-top mountain. Camping, riding, hiking, fishing, all within about a half hour drive. I tried to find faults. The road to the muontain is (was) blocked, is major to me.