Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deterrence / Let's play these videos in school!

Default Deterrence / Let's play these videos in school!

We know that people who would violently beat, kill, murder, rape etc have no morals. How then do we control the portion of the population without ethics? The only answer of course is fear of the consequences of their actions. Which is why I have long advocated the use of the Death Penalty, harsh sentencing and the viewing of criminals being killed (self defense) in classrooms.

Now this has offended the more faint hearted individuals on this forum so I won't be posting any stories about criminals dying. Instead please enjoy the various video clips of criminals going through great emotional distress. Hopefully it will bring a smile to your face during this happy Holiday season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcoUpqVaD00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TY_Sx14iUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b90GQUmOhNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dptnnP0Jquw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFaYvsUhemE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQy6KNx4d-s

On a more serious note - many individuals don't believe deterrence works. I find this absolutely baffling - however if your belief truly is deterrence does not work, what exactly would work? We know the scum has no moral compass so that's out as control mechanism. If they won't act in their best interests to avoid prison, clearly they need to be in prison LONGER as the only safe way to prevent them from committing more crimes.

Er, Lewk, I think you need to go back and read what your opponents have actually written on this forum about these matters. Go on, we'll be waiting.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Here's a very detailed description of why you are simply wrong, Lewk.

http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=98
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Here's a very detailed description of why you are simply wrong, Lewk.

http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=98
    Except people go through internal cost-benefit analysis ALL the time. Criminals do this all the time. In areas of high gun distribution robberies tend to occur when the criminal has a reasonable suspicion no one is home.

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control...rime-and-guns/

Some stats include survey of felons which showed 60% were deterred by the possibility the victim may have had a gun. The site also shows the difference in 'hot burglaries' (where the victim is home) occurs much more frequently in places in Britain than in states where people can carry guns.

Absolutely some crime (crimes of passion) won't be deterred by consequences however the argument that 'it won't stop all crime' is rather poor and as I've shown, criminals DO take into consideration the consequences.

Furthermore we have other evidence that crime is reduced when you increase the amount of police officers in the area.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/m...issue_id=52012

Why? Because again there is a fear of getting caught, ie deterrence is working!

In a way even though I disagree with the major premise of your link (that few crimes will be deterred by deterrence) it does give us one gem. The *PERCEPTION* of the punishment is what matters the most. This is why it is critical to put these types of videos in front of kids. Not only does it give clear examples of criminals getting caught (therefore creating the perception that crime is punished) it also shows deep emotional trauma. Because while people regularly make an internal cost benefit analysis they don't always do it logically. People make decisions on emotions too. Seeing a criminal have an emotional breakdown can be a powerful message that will hopefully send chills down their spine. And when they look to do their first crime hopefully they will remember that criminal and say 'shit maybe not..."

In addition as I've stated before if a violent criminal does not respond to deterrence than clearly that are not a rational person have already demonstrated a propensity for violence and should be kept away from other people. Releasing a rabid dog into a city is horrible - yet we seem to do this all the time. Harsh sentencing is wonderful even if there is NO deterrence effect because criminals behind bars can't create more victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    faint-hearted
    If the shoe fits...

I don't know why I keep tuning in every week to see Lewk vs. The Diminishing returns when I know it's gonna end, as it always does, with him not figuring it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Why? Because again there is a fear of getting caught, ie deterrence is working!
    It's interesting that the authors observed that

Overall, this theoretical explanation is consistent with the conclusion of deterrence researchers that certainty of apprehension plays a stronger role than severity of punishment as a mechanism of general deterrence (Durlauf and Nagin, 2011; Nagin, 2010; Nagin and Pogarsky, 2001).

[...]

In a recent randomized experiment, the tactic of saturation patrol in police cars was found to underperform problem-oriented policing interventions (Taylor, Koper, and Woods, 2011). It may be that not only are vehicle-bound patrol officers unable to impact crime levels significantly, but also that foot patrol officers develop greater situational knowledge. A useful future direction with any foot patrol studies would be to develop in officers an appreciation for the merits of a problem-solving/problem-oriented policing approach that could leverage their local knowledge developed over months of foot patrol into a long-term problem reduction strategy.
    Moreover, they found that the intervention in question was only effective when a certain threshold was reached in terms of number of violent crimes, and obv the findings were limited to a specific setting (outdoors only).

Finally the study has little to do with your OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's interesting that the authors observed that

Moreover, they found that the intervention in question was only effective when a certain threshold was reached in terms of number of violent crimes, and obv the findings were limited to a specific setting (outdoors only).

Finally the study has little to do with your OP.
    The study indicates that more officers out and about leads to fewer crime. Why is this? One obvious conclusion is that criminals are less likely to do crimes in front of officers or if they believe officers are nearby. This jives with other data that areas with long police response time tend to have higher crime rates (with some exceptions in very flung rural areas but they are obvious outliers). ALL of that implies that criminals frequently analyze situations and determine the costs and benefits of doing their actions. Even if they don't know what they are doing it is ingrained human behavior to avoid bad things.

I don't know why I keep tuning in every week to see Lewk vs. The Diminishing returns when I know it's gonna end, as it always does, with him not figuring it out.
    Him not figuring out what exactly? Let me ask you - do you think longer prison sentences leads to fewer crimes? Is that your bone of contention? Or is it that you think specifically deterrence never works? Or is it that you think precious snowflakes should never be harmed even if they threaten law abiding citizens with crime? Clarify what you are specifically against.

I think I'm mostly "against" your persistent inability/disinclination to read. How many years has it been now, Lewk? How many times are you going to have to be told the same things over and over again? More importantly, how many times should I for example have to explain my position to you, knowing that you will either deliberately misunderstand and misrepresent it or set up retarded straw-men or just forget it entirely the next time you get boners over criminals getting killed or the like?

Okay, I'll try one more time. When it comes to deterrence, just because punishment-levels 3 - 6 have some significant measurable and increasing deterrent effect on crime doesn't mean that levels 7 - 10 will have as great an impact. It is possible or plausible that, with increasingly severe punishments, the additional deterrent effect will be lower and lower. This is the first bone of contention: the view that you can always simply reduce crime further and further by turning up the punishment-severity dial no matter where you are on the scale.

But of course there's more. For some of us, the expected gains from a punishment have to be weighed against the expected costs. Some of these costs are of eg. the economical variety while others are of the ethical or philosophical variety. Your worldview is such that you believe it is right and proper to completely disregard the rights of criminals, because you view them as subhuman. Therefore, as far as you're concerned, there is no ethical cost associated with subjecting criminals to ever-more cruel punishments.

My view, in contrast, is firstly that criminals are still human and as such have some rights (the violation of which constitute a cost), and, secondly, that a society that regularly demotes humans to the status of animals--and then takes pleasure in torturing them or destroying them--is a rotten, damaged, vile and altogether tragic society. I believe this not because I value criminals higher than innocent little children and bunny-rabbits but because I place a great deal of value on preserving the humanity and plain decency of ordinary "innocent" human beings. You might say safeguarding the purity--such as it is--of your disgusting little soul is more important to me than the satisfaction of seeing criminals get what's coming to them. And that is the second bone of contention: the view that it is right and proper for decent people to treat criminals as animals, or even less than animals.

As for the study, the study does not support whatever dumb shit it was you were proposing in the OP. You may imagine it does, but it doesn't really. So you may as well let it go. Do something more productive.

I think I'm mostly "against" your persistent inability/disinclination to ....
    Save your fingers and just type then/than.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I think I'm mostly "against" your persistent inability/disinclination to read. How many years has it been now, Lewk? How many times are you going to have to be told the same things over and over again? More importantly, how many times should I for example have to explain my position to you, knowing that you will either deliberately misunderstand and misrepresent it or set up retarded straw-men or just forget it entirely the next time you get boners over criminals getting killed or the like?

Okay, I'll try one more time. When it comes to deterrence, just because punishment-levels 3 - 6 have some significant measurable and increasing deterrent effect on crime doesn't mean that levels 7 - 10 will have as great an impact. It is possible or plausible that, with increasingly severe punishments, the additional deterrent effect will be lower and lower. This is the first bone of contention: the view that you can always simply reduce crime further and further by turning up the punishment-severity dial no matter where you are on the scale.
    Hey you admit that deterrence works! Now explain that to Khendra. So let's take you analogy, punishments 3-6 have a strong deterrence effect however after level 6 it seems to have diminishing returns. The problem is we aren't that precise. You can't put X sentence and explain that this will lead to a specific Y decline in crime, and that by going to a slighter higher sentence you don't get as much bang for your buck. Society has too many variables for it to work perfectly. And of course if we were to err one way or the other, we should err on the side of caution we should do what keeps the populace safe from the criminal element.

But of course there's more. For some of us, the expected gains from a punishment have to be weighed against the expected costs. Some of these costs are of eg. the economical variety while others are of the ethical or philosophical variety. Your worldview is such that you believe it is right and proper to completely disregard the rights of criminals, because you view them as subhuman. Therefore, as far as you're concerned, there is no ethical cost associated with subjecting criminals to ever-more cruel punishments.
    For violent criminals, thieves, rapists, child molester, arsonists and murderers yes I feel society should treat them as sub human. The moral calculus is rather simple to me, not all life should be treated equally. This is inherently true though some people like to dance around that issue. If two people were drowning and you could save only one which would it be? An old person or a child? A serial rapists or a law abiding citizen? We would make those choices almost instinctively. We save the child because he has more to lose (higher life expectancy) and we save the law abiding citizen because the rapist is trash. I'm just honest enough to say it.

My view, in contrast, is firstly that criminals are still human and as such have some rights (the violation of which constitute a cost), and, secondly, that a society that regularly demotes humans to the status of animals--and then takes pleasure in torturing them or destroying them--is a rotten, damaged, vile and altogether tragic society. I believe this not because I value criminals higher than innocent little children and bunny-rabbits but because I place a great deal of value on preserving the humanity and plain decency of ordinary "innocent" human beings. You might say safeguarding the purity--such as it is--of your disgusting little soul is more important to me than the satisfaction of seeing criminals get what's coming to them. And that is the second bone of contention: the view that it is right and proper for decent people to treat criminals as animals, or even less than animals.

As for the study, the study does not support whatever dumb shit it was you were proposing in the OP. You may imagine it does, but it doesn't really. So you may as well let it go. Do something more productive.
    Sorry but rapists are scum. The man who shook a baby to death? Fuck. Him. Back to my drowning example an infinite number of people like him drowning is worth less than one innocent child. The fact that you could come to a different conclusion is shocking. In fact I don't think you necessarily disagree its just you want to have it both ways. You want to treat everyone 'with dignity' or some nonsense but the simple fact is that recidivism occurs. The criminal is still solely responsible for their actions but society is culpable when we allow dangerous and violent people back on the streets to harm again. Because again knowledge isn't perfect - we don't necessarily know who will harm others again. If we did then it would be fine but since we can't know we again have to go to some moral calculus.

If 1/10 of criminals will rape or kill again, letting 10 of them back out into society means we let one innocent person suffer for the sake of 10 criminals. And my math says that the 10 criminals had their shot, they fucking blew it and 10 of their lives and happiness doesn't equate to the one person who gets brutalized by them. However we are now talking about multiple subjects. As I said before there are TWO great things about harsh sentencing.

1. Deterrence effect - leads to less crime as a whole. This is further strengthen by doing what I suggested in OP - show video of criminals emotionally collapsing after being found guilty and/or sentenced.

2. Can't do more crime because they are in prison. This is simple even without deterrence it is still in society's best interest to keep the person locked up.

Now let me ask you this. A 20 year old assault and rapes someone. There is no shadow of a doubt, the assault was caught on camera, his semen was found on her, etc etc. How long should he remain in prison? And after you answer that, assume there is a 10% chance that if he is released he will rape again. Should he ever be released?

The purpose of linking the study was just in response to Khend who thinks deterrence rarely works because most crime isn't done by rational people. I disagree with that perspective because criminals make decisions that lower their likelihood of being caught and of being shot by a homeowner which demonstrates that they often do take into consideration the consequences of their actions.

Except people go through internal cost-benefit analysis ALL the time.
    No, they don't, Lewk. What do you think a "crime of passion" is?

Hint: It does not involve rational thought in any way.

Then again, you yourself are a great example of how people can live on without any kind of active thought all their lives.

Hey you admit that deterrence works! Now explain that to Khendra
    I never said that it does not work. I always said that it doesn't work the way you think it works and also that it is part of a trifecta of factors which need to be considered carefully for deterrence to have any effect.

However I expect that distinction to fully fly over your head.

Hey you admit that deterrence works! Now explain that to Khendra.
    Why should I? If you had followed the series of comics he linked to or, I dunno, read his posts, you'd have realised by now that Khen doesn't deny the existence of deterrence. He simply believes that it doesn't work they way you believe it works.

So let's take you analogy, punishments 3-6 have a strong deterrence effect however after level 6 it seems to have diminishing returns. The problem is we aren't that precise. You can't put X sentence and explain that this will lead to a specific Y decline in crime, and that by going to a slighter higher sentence you don't get as much bang for your buck. Society has too many variables for it to work perfectly. And of course if we were to err one way or the other, we should err on the side of caution we should do what keeps the populace safe from the criminal element.
    If you really subscribed to this way of thinking even you would believe in anthropogenic climate change and support any measures necessary to curb it. You'd also support a far more expansive and generous welfare state.

If two people were drowning and you could save only one which would it be? An old person or a child? A serial rapists or a law abiding citizen? We would make those choices almost instinctively. We save the child because he has more to lose (higher life expectancy) and we save the law abiding citizen because the rapist is trash. I'm just honest enough to say it.
    What you are is missing the point, as usual. If faced with direct and mutually exclusive choices, sure, child comes before old person. But does that mean that we should spit on and torture old people? No. If we can save both, do we still save only the child? No. The "value" of the old person's life is only relevant when we have to make a life-or-death decision based on that value and it is entirely irrelevant to the inherent wrongness of cruel and inhumane treatment.

If I have to choose between saving my dear old mother's life and saving your sorry ass from drowning, I'd obviously choose to save my mother in a heartbeat. Not only is she my mother, she's also a kind and loving person who'll do more good for people in her remaining years of life than you would do if you had ten times as many years. In that scenario, your life may as well be worthless. However, if you were to come into my ER close to death, I'd try to save even you.

Similarly, if I had to choose between saving a rapist and saving a drowning baby, I'd choose to save the baby. But that doesn't mean I'm going to go out looking for rapists to kill. Why? Because I'm not fucked up.

Sorry but rapists are scum. The man who shook a baby to death? Fuck. Him. Back to my drowning example an infinite number of people like him drowning is worth less than one innocent child. The fact that you could come to a different conclusion is shocking.
    Give it a rest you fucking hypocrite. Don't come here yapping about how much you care about babies and rape-victims. You actively support policies that contribute to the suffering and death of innocent babies and women. And, as for rape, you barely even believe rape exists and you spend a considerable amount of energy contributing to the culture that excuses rape and harrasses rape-victims. So don't pretend that you care in any meaningful way about innocent babies and women, that you value them infinitely highly, that you'd go to any lengths to save them.

If you place any value on anyone other than yourself, it is a finite and small value. This isn't about how much you care about innocent people. It's about how hard your dick gets at the thought of criminals getting killed. Which, frankly, is creepy and disgusting and a total failure on the part of whoever it was that tried to raise you to be a decent human being.

If 1/10 of criminals will rape or kill again, letting 10 of them back out into society means we let one innocent person suffer for the sake of 10 criminals. And my math says that the 10 criminals had their shot, they fucking blew it and 10 of their lives and happiness doesn't equate to the one person who gets brutalized by them. However we are now talking about multiple subjects. As I said before there are TWO great things about harsh sentencing.

1. Deterrence effect - leads to less crime as a whole. This is further strengthen by doing what I suggested in OP - show video of criminals emotionally collapsing after being found guilty and/or sentenced.

[...]

The purpose of linking the study was just in response to Khend who thinks deterrence rarely works because most crime isn't done by rational people. I disagree with that perspective because criminals make decisions that lower their likelihood of being caught and of being shot by a homeowner which demonstrates that they often do take into consideration the consequences of their actions.
    Jesus Christ. I knew you hadn't read the paper but it seems you didn't read your own posts either.

The study doesn't support the bullshit in the OP in any meaningful sense. It's like you're saying, "2+2 = 8! As proof of this claim, please see this summary of a paper that shows the square root of 8 to be 3.1 which, like 2, is also an integer."

2. Can't do more crime because they are in prison. This is simple even without deterrence it is still in society's best interest to keep the person locked up.
    Except that it's not at all clear-cut what is or is not in society's best interest to do. It may be in society's best interest to not have too many people locked up. It may be in society's interest to free up some of that money and those resources for other purposes. It may be in society's best interest to rehabilitate 9 out of 10 (like in your example) or even to rehabilitate 3 out of 10. It may be in society's best interest to rehabilitate a few people that can return to their families and do a better job of raising their kids rather than forcing those kids to grow up in single-parent households with no support from society. It may be in society's interest to do things that will reduce crime in the future, by guiding would-be criminals to more productive paths.

Just because your life is governed by fear and hatred doesn't mean that it's in society's best interest to do what you want. It may be in society's best interest to take risks. You're free to live a life free from personal risk if you like, but I suspect that life would be kinda shitty.

Now let me ask you this. A 20 year old assault and rapes someone. There is no shadow of a doubt, the assault was caught on camera, his semen was found on her, etc etc. How long should he remain in prison? And after you answer that, assume there is a 10% chance that if he is released he will rape again. Should he ever be released?
    He should be in prison for however long may be appropriate as punishment. While in prison he should be made to go through a rehabilitation process. As time progresses, he should be prepared to re-enter society. If there is any great concern that he hasn't been rehabilitated, he should stay locked up until that changes. When released, measures should be taken to reduce the likelihood of recidivism.

Now, let me ask you this. A black guy claims he was raped by a 20-y-o man. There is no doubt they had sex (semen was found on him etc). There's an 80% chance it was rape. If there's no conviction, there's a 100% chance of him raping some other black guy in the next 5 years. The alleged rapist is white. Do you lock him up even though there's a 20% chance he didn't rape anyone? What if there was a 30% chance he was innocent? Do you let him go even though there's an 80% chance he did it and is certain to do it again? Do you lock him up in order to deter all the other (as yet undiscovered) rapists watching the trial? Or do you, I dunno, badmouth the alleged victim publicly and explain that it was just some gay black dude with buyer's remorse trying to make a buck off of some poor innocent white kid?

I figure if you really want to deter rapists, the best way to do it is to make sure more rapists get caught and convicted. If deterring rape is what you really want. I'm pretty sure it's not what you want.

Lewk, how's Assad's extra tough response working for him?
    Hope is the denial of reality

No, they don't, Lewk. What do you think a "crime of passion" is?

Hint: It does not involve rational thought in any way.

Then again, you yourself are a great example of how people can live on without any kind of active thought all their lives.
    I am not following this particular line of thinking. Are you saying that because some crimes are done in the heat of the moment, that people never do a cost/benefit analysis on when, where, and how to commit a crime? Lewk had already acknowledged, in the very post you quoted, that crimes of passion exist and are not affected by deterrents or consequences, but surely you recognize that not all crime, or even most crimes can be categorized as such.

Why should I? If you had followed the series of comics he linked to or, I dunno, read his posts, you'd have realised by now that Khen doesn't deny the existence of deterrence. He simply believes that it doesn't work they way you believe it works.

What % of crime do you think is literal heat of the moment and/or done by crazies? Taking a WAG I'd say 20%. Most crime is done after people have considered at least some of the consequences.

If you really subscribed to this way of thinking even you would believe in anthropogenic climate change and support any measures necessary to curb it. You'd also support a far more expansive and generous welfare state.
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/e...rming-industry

"In 1971, another global-cooling alarmist, Stanford University professor Paul Ehrlich, who is perhaps best known for his 1968 book The Population Bomb, made similarly wild forecasts for the end of the millennium in a speech at the British Institute for Biology. “By the year 2000 the United Kingdom will be simply a small group of impoverished islands, inhabited by some 70 million hungry people,” he claimed. “If I were a gambler, I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000 and give ten to one that the life of the average Briton would be of distinctly lower quality than it is today.” Of course, England still exists, and its population was doing much better in 2000 than when Ehrlich made his kooky claims. But long before 2000, Ehrlich had abandoned global-cooling alarmism in favor of warning that the Earth faced catastrophic global warming. Now he is warning that humans may soon be forced to resort to cannibalism.

To combat the alleged man-made cooling, “experts” suggested all sorts of grandiose schemes, including some that in retrospect appear almost too comical to be real. “Climatologists are pessimistic that political leaders will take any positive action to compensate for the climate change, or even to allay its effects,” reported Newsweek in its 1975 article “The Cooling World,” which claimed that Earth’s temperature had been plunging for decades due to humanity’s activities. Some of the “more spectacular solutions” proposed by the cooling theorists at the time included “melting the arctic ice cap by covering it with black soot or diverting arctic rivers,” Newsweek reported."

Too many wrong predictions and too much agenda driven science for me to take the alarmists seriously. Runaway global warming scares are just that... scares. However this is rather far afield to our discussion.

Regarding Welfare - don't be absurd. Welfare causes more hardship than it causes because it creates government dependency and generational poverty. Its like giving money to a homeless person, something that actually *HURTS* them and is one of the worst things you can do for the person. (Giving directly to homeless is bad on almost all levels, if you feel compelled to help provide money to homeless shelters, food banks, etc). And again, off subject.

What you are is missing the point, as usual. If faced with direct and mutually exclusive choices, sure, child comes before old person. But does that mean that we should spit on and torture old people? No. If we can save both, do we still save only the child? No. The "value" of the old person's life is only relevant when we have to make a life-or-death decision based on that value and it is entirely irrelevant to the inherent wrongness of cruel and inhumane treatment.

If I have to choose between saving my dear old mother's life and saving your sorry ass from drowning, I'd obviously choose to save my mother in a heartbeat. Not only is she my mother, she's also a kind and loving person who'll do more good for people in her remaining years of life than you would do if you had ten times as many years. In that scenario, your life may as well be worthless. However, if you were to come into my ER close to death, I'd try to save even you.

Similarly, if I had to choose between saving a rapist and saving a drowning baby, I'd choose to save the baby. But that doesn't mean I'm going to go out looking for rapists to kill. Why? Because I'm not fucked up.
    The point, which you are partially agreeing with, is that any sane moral outlook of the world will conclude that not ALL life is equal and worthy. That some people are more or less deserving of being saved. This is the linchpin of why I'm OK with criminals enduring more suffering since not all suffering is equal either. So can we at least agree all life is not equal?

Give it a rest you fucking hypocrite. Don't come here yapping about how much you care about babies and rape-victims. You actively support policies that contribute to the suffering and death of innocent babies and women. And, as for rape, you barely even believe rape exists and you spend a considerable amount of energy contributing to the culture that excuses rape and harrasses rape-victims. So don't pretend that you care in any meaningful way about innocent babies and women, that you value them infinitely highly, that you'd go to any lengths to save them.
    What kind of liberal claptrap are you spewing? Rape obviously exists... and just as obviously FALSE accusations of rape exist. In fact false accusations of rape are a particularly heinous crime because it hurts true rape victims. Being in favor of punishing obviously false rape accusations actually helps real rape victims. However liberals seem too incompetent to understand this and seem to constantly back anyone who cries wolf. (Looking at you Rolling Stone).

If you place any value on anyone other than yourself, it is a finite and small value. This isn't about how much you care about innocent people. It's about how hard your dick gets at the thought of criminals getting killed. Which, frankly, is creepy and disgusting and a total failure on the part of whoever it was that tried to raise you to be a decent human being.

No criminals were killed in this thread. And blood is on the hands of the criminal appeasers. I do hope that parole boards who grant parole to criminals who later kill are plagued with guilt for the rest of their lives because blood is on their hands. Liberals like to think themselves morally superior but again their actions are only at the surface. "Look at how nice we are, how humane, we treat our criminals well!" And then never think about the consequences! They get to have their conscious clear even though they are responsible for suffering. And yet we this over and over and over again in liberal policies they seem utterly incapable of understanding the ramifications of their policies. Example - minimum wage, lets use it to help the poorest of the poor. Oh but wait that means some poor people lose their job all together... oops. What is it out human nature that liberals cannot seem to understand?

Except that it's not at all clear-cut what is or is not in society's best interest to do. It may be in society's best interest to not have too many people locked up. It may be in society's interest to free up some of that money and those resources for other purposes. It may be in society's best interest to rehabilitate 9 out of 10 (like in your example) or even to rehabilitate 3 out of 10. It may be in society's best interest to rehabilitate a few people that can return to their families and do a better job of raising their kids rather than forcing those kids to grow up in single-parent households with no support from society. It may be in society's interest to do things that will reduce crime in the future, by guiding would-be criminals to more productive paths.

Just because your life is governed by fear and hatred doesn't mean that it's in society's best interest to do what you want. It may be in society's best interest to take risks. You're free to live a life free from personal risk if you like, but I suspect that life would be kinda shitty.
    How many people a year are you OK to be raped and murdered in favor of attempting rehabilitation? Surely you have some kind of limit, I'm curious at what number of rapes you're OK with.

He should be in prison for however long may be appropriate as punishment. While in prison he should be made to go through a rehabilitation process. As time progresses, he should be prepared to re-enter society. If there is any great concern that he hasn't been rehabilitated, he should stay locked up until that changes. When released, measures should be taken to reduce the likelihood of recidivism.
    What kind of pathetic answer is this? "however long may be appropriate as punishment." LOL I'm asking you a direct question. Amazing how blithely you condemn innocents to rape and possible death. Because by golly those rapists deserve a second chance!

Now, let me ask you this. A black guy claims he was raped by a 20-y-o man. There is no doubt they had sex (semen was found on him etc). There's an 80% chance it was rape. If there's no conviction, there's a 100% chance of him raping some other black guy in the next 5 years. The alleged rapist is white. Do you lock him up even though there's a 20% chance he didn't rape anyone? What if there was a 30% chance he was innocent? Do you let him go even though there's an 80% chance he did it and is certain to do it again? Do you lock him up in order to deter all the other (as yet undiscovered) rapists watching the trial? Or do you, I dunno, badmouth the alleged victim publicly and explain that it was just some gay black dude with buyer's remorse trying to make a buck off of some poor innocent white kid?
    I don't have the power to convict that is the hands of a jury. However as society we do have the power to pass sentencing laws. If I could look into my crystal ball had absolutely knowledge of your percentages AND had absolutely control of the jury than clearly he should be locked up because there is a 100% chance of him raping someone in the next 5 years. I have no idea why you bring race into it other than of course it is relevant to you because you're a liberal.

I figure if you really want to deter rapists, the best way to do it is to make sure more rapists get caught and convicted. If deterring rape is what you really want. I'm pretty sure it's not what you want.
    You're kind of an ass you know? Are you seriously suggesting that I'm not in favor of deterring rape? I absolutely want more rapists caught and strung up. I don't think I've ever held a position that even hinted otherwise. However I don't want to railroad people simply because someone cries rape. You can be in favor for tough sentences for murder without automatically supporting the conviction of people charged with murder on the basis of 'I said he did it.' Evidence and all that jazz is kind of important.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Lewk, how's Assad's extra tough response working for him?
    Because that is clearly an apples to apples comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I am not following this particular line of thinking. Are you saying that because some crimes are done in the heat of the moment, that people never do a cost/benefit analysis on when, where, and how to commit a crime? Lewk had already acknowledged, in the very post you quoted, that crimes of passion exist and are not affected by deterrents or consequences, but surely you recognize that not all crime, or even most crimes can be categorized as such.
    You seem to subscribe to Lewk's line of non-thinking as well. Lewk stated that people ALWAYS (emphasis mine) do a cost-benefit analysis. I provided one EXAMPLE how this is not so (there are plenty more).

Furthermore, you could also benefit from actually reading the comic (which is based on _real_ psychology) to see how ineffective a tool deterrence actually is.

What % of crime do you think is literal heat of the moment and/or done by crazies? Taking a WAG I'd say 20%. Most crime is done after people have considered at least some of the consequences.
    We can discuss this once you have numbers to discuss. If it helps, some of the categories are crimes of passion, crimes of opportunity, crimes of crazy people (not always crimes in the technical sense) and crimes of premeditation. As for considering consequences, you live in a country where 20% of people could multiply two and two and get "pizza" so maybe you should reconsider the relevance of their inclination to consider more complex risk-reward relationships and various life choices.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/e...rming-industry

[...]

Too many wrong predictions and too much agenda driven science for me to take the alarmists seriously. Runaway global warming scares are just that... scares.
    First of all, your approach to science and to educating yourself is so fucking retarded that it's both funny and scary at the same time

Secondly, even to a clod such as yourself, there must be a nonzero chance that anthropogenic climate change is real and may have disastrous consequences, if not for you then for millions of poor brown people (whom you say you care about, esp. the children). Given that, you should be doing everything in your power to prevent that from happening. Everything.

But let's face it you lazy sod you just wanna eat steak and watch things go boom on TV when you're not busy watching criminals get buttraped on youtube. It's not about ethics or even common sense. It's about pleasure. Which basically makes you worse than an animal, but hey.

Regarding Welfare - don't be absurd. Welfare causes more hardship than it causes because it creates government dependency and generational poverty. Its like giving money to a homeless person, something that actually *HURTS* them and is one of the worst things you can do for the person. (Giving directly to homeless is bad on almost all levels, if you feel compelled to help provide money to homeless shelters, food banks, etc). And again, off subject.
    Sorry, but no. Innocent kids suffer and die in your country in part due to your policies on social security, crime, gun control etc. Even minor changes would lead to fewer people suffering and dying. You don't want to make those changes because you don't actually care about people. You care about preserving your disgusting worldview.

I'll bet if you were given the choice of keeping a child alive indefinitely by giving money and letting her die by not giving money you'd choose the former, in a hypothetical scenario where a that child's continued existence depends directly on your generosity.

The point, which you are partially agreeing with, is that any sane moral outlook of the world will conclude that not ALL life is equal and worthy. That some people are more or less deserving of being saved. This is the linchpin of why I'm OK with criminals enduring more suffering since not all suffering is equal either. So can we at least agree all life is not equal?
    Okay so are you saying that, because I'd save my mother over you, it's okay for me to lock you up indefinitely and torture you every day? Is that what you're saying? If not, how d'you figure? I mean, in comparison to my mother's life, your life is less than worthless so obviously your life must objectively be less than worthless, right? And the worthlessness of your life must neutralise the inherent wrongness of any heinous things I might subject you to, right? Because, as you've argued here, relative contextual value = absolute universal value, and evil is good when directed against people who are relatively worthless (never thought I'd see you endorsing moral relativism though).

No criminals were killed in this thread. And blood is on the hands of the criminal appeasers. I do hope that parole boards who grant parole to criminals who later kill are plagued with guilt for the rest of their lives because blood is on their hands. Liberals like to think themselves morally superior but again their actions are only at the surface. "Look at how nice we are, how humane, we treat our criminals well!" And then never think about the consequences! They get to have their conscious clear even though they are responsible for suffering. And yet we this over and over and over again in liberal policies they seem utterly incapable of understanding the ramifications of their policies. Example - minimum wage, lets use it to help the poorest of the poor. Oh but wait that means some poor people lose their job all together... oops. What is it out human nature that liberals cannot seem to understand?

How many people a year are you OK to be raped and murdered in favor of attempting rehabilitation? Surely you have some kind of limit, I'm curious at what number of rapes you're OK with.
    Okay, I'm okay with a policy that will lead to 5 rapes if it saves 50 children, if that is the choice we're being forced to make. How many innocent people are you okay with killing in order to be able to eat more steak, drive dumber cars, allow idiots to carry guns wherever they go and use them however they please, let police officers kill indiscriminately etc? Surely you must have some kind of limit so I'm curious as to how what number of families you're okay with destroying in order to maintain your delusions.

What kind of pathetic answer is this? "however long may be appropriate as punishment." LOL I'm asking you a direct question. Amazing how blithely you condemn innocents to rape and possible death. Because by golly those rapists deserve a second chance!

I don't have the power to convict that is the hands of a jury. However as society we do have the power to pass sentencing laws. If I could look into my crystal ball had absolutely knowledge of your percentages AND had absolutely control of the jury than clearly he should be locked up because there is a 100% chance of him raping someone in the next 5 years. I have no idea why you bring race into it other than of course it is relevant to you because you're a liberal.
    Duh dumbass, if it is a particularly heinous rape then the punishment should reflect that. Or are you trying to say that all rapes are equal? Get real bro.

As for race, your record shows fairly clearly that you care very much about the races of alleged victims and rapists and I bet you care less about gay people too

What kind of liberal claptrap are you spewing? Rape obviously exists... and just as obviously FALSE accusations of rape exist. In fact false accusations of rape are a particularly heinous crime because it hurts true rape victims. Being in favor of punishing obviously false rape accusations actually helps real rape victims. However liberals seem too incompetent to understand this and seem to constantly back anyone who cries wolf. (Looking at you Rolling Stone).

[...]

You're kind of an ass you know? Are you seriously suggesting that I'm not in favor of deterring rape? I absolutely want more rapists caught and strung up. I don't think I've ever held a position that even hinted otherwise. However I don't want to railroad people simply because someone cries rape. You can be in favor for tough sentences for murder without automatically supporting the conviction of people charged with murder on the basis of 'I said he did it.' Evidence and all that jazz is kind of important.
    Really? Why? I bet you could prevent many more rapes by relaxing your standards just a teensy weensy bit. The likelihood of getting caught and getting any amount of jail time is more relevant to deterrence than the sheer severity of that punishment.

You could also get more rapists by encouraging victims to report rapes. Many women don't report rapes because they fear they won't be believed and that the rapist will get away with it even after a long and expensive and painful investigation that may never even go to trial and that will nevertheless see them (the victims) get slandered by people like you even before any evidence is presented. You could increase the number of true reports by not ranting and raving about people you believe are lying. But you don't want to do that, Lewk. You and I both know it's not the outcomes that matter, it's the means. You have a preference for certain things and don't really care about how those preferences affect the incidence of baby-deaths and rapes. Just stop lying to yourself bro.

I bet you could get a really safe society if you went totalitarian

Btw Lewk, were you expecting to be rewarded for trolling?

It is. Your logic is that the more extreme the punishment, the better the result. You're ignoring the societal impact of punishments that are considered overly harsh or those that disproportionately affect one group.

You're ignoring the societal impact of punishments that are considered overly harsh or those that disproportionately affect one group.
    Even on the individual level, over-punishment doesn't really achieve anything.

You seem to subscribe to Lewk's line of non-thinking as well. Lewk stated that people ALWAYS (emphasis mine) do a cost-benefit analysis. I provided one EXAMPLE how this is not so (there are plenty more).

Furthermore, you could also benefit from actually reading the comic (which is based on _real_ psychology) to see how ineffective a tool deterrence actually is.
    Well, I agree there is a problem with both thinking and comprehension, though I think we'd disagree on where it lies.

I read the comic in its entirety, the first time you posted it. It does not make your poorly reasoned argument more palatable.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 12-29-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Even on the individual level, over-punishment doesn't really achieve anything.
    Depends on type of crime.

Lewk stated that people ALWAYS (emphasis mine) do a cost-benefit analysis.
    Hmmm I may have missed this. What I did see him say is that people do it "all the time" which is basically another way of saying, "Many people do it, often," rather than saying, "Everyone does it, always."

Incidentally, let's say only 20% are rational. If half of those can be deterred, you stop 10% of crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Well, I agree there is a problem with both thinking and comprehension, though I think we'd disagree on where it lies.

I read the comic in its entirety, the first time you posted it. It does not make your poorly reasoned argument more palatable.
    Then you're welcome to visit any Psychology course on this topic. They will make the exact same arguments. It's one of those nice ideas which make sense on the surface but which also turn out to be quite useless in reality. You could compare the concept of deterrence to communism: Nice idea, would solve several problems but is completely at odds with how humans actually work.

Depends on type of crime.
    That's so broad a counter-argument that it's practically useless. So, which types of crime were you thinking about specifically?

Incidentally, let's say only 20% are rational. If half of those can be deterred, you stop 10% of crimes.
    And if only 1% can be deterred then you'd stop 0.2% of crimes. So? I mean, we can throw around random numbers all day.

Hmmm I may have missed this. What I did see him say is that people do it "all the time" which is basically another way of saying, "Many people do it, often," rather than saying, "Everyone does it, always."
    If people were doing any type of cost-benefit-analysis most of the time, economic models wouldn't have the kind of problems they are having. Homo economicus does not exist.