Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russia Joining OPEC and Environmentalism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Russia Joining OPEC and Environmentalism

I have a MUN (Model United Nations) conference next week and even if you guys can't directly help me, any reasons you guys might bring up concerning Russia's entry into OPEC would probably be helpful since i could use those points or even points that state that Russia shouldn't. I'm representing Venezuela, Russia is our number uno weapon benefactor so....

and my second topic is Environmentalism and the Evolution of the Demand for Oil.

If you guys want to read the guide: http://activities.tjhsst.edu/mun/tec...uides/opec.pdf

and if you just want the questions

Topic 1: As a committee it is up to you to devise a way to deal with Non-OPEC members such as Russia. You must determine a way to maintain the mission of OPEC, continue to provide a stable oil supply and turn a high profit simultaneously. Remember, you are the exporters, not the importers.

Topic 2: It is important to note that information regarding OPEC and alternative energy might not be as readily available as other topics in this committee as well as conference. Thus there is an increased importance on truly understanding country policy. The strength of performance in this topic, as well as in the OPEC committee, will be based in large part on how close to country policy a delegation operates

Venezuela has signed and ratified the following bills concerning the environment: party to: Antarctic Treaty, Biodiversity, Climate Change, Climate Change-Kyoto Protocol, Desertification, Endangered Species, Hazardous Wastes, Marine Life Conservation, Ozone Layer Protection, Ship Pollution, Tropical Timber 83, Tropical Timber 94, Wetlands.

and Venezuela remains highly dependent on oil revenues, which account for roughly 90% of export earnings, about 50% of the federal budget revenues, and around 30% of GDP.

So i've done my research. I just want to secure an award for myself and i thought what the heck.

Anyways, here's the response to them.

Introduction:
    A. Today’s global recession is very much akin to the oil crisis of 1973. Something Venezuela, an OPEC nation, is very eager to avoid. So therefore, in this conference we hope to create resistance to alternative energy source development, by consolidating membership.
    B. At this conference, two major issues face all oil producing nations that are attending. The possible entry of the Russian Federation into OPEC, and growing threats for alternative energy development.
    C. Venezuela, being a reputable member of OPEC, wishes to promote Russian entry into OPEC, weakening American influence in the Middle East, while simultaneously expanding our influence over the world’s oil reserves. This issue also goes hand in hand with the threat of alternative energy. While Russia’s departure to our side would strengthen our cause, it would also weaken the opposition to us, represented by the United States, the leader in alternative energy. Oil has gained a bad image across the globe, something we at this conference intend to address and confront.

Issue #1: Russia’s possible entry into OPEC
    A. Russia’s entry into OPEC, as you all know, has recently put out to tender. The ramifications would be enormously positive in the OPEC community’s favor. Russia and OPEC together account for more than half of global oil production. On average Russia produces 9.5 million barrels a day. With the potential of cutting that production by 200,000 – 300,000 barrels, lowering oil prices, an aim this organization stands for.
    B. Because of this, Venezuela strongly supports Russian entry. Russia today is the number 1 arms supplier to Latin America, strengthening relations with Russia at the expense of the United States, a common enemy of OPEC. As of right now oil prices are dangerously low, something our fledgling governments cannot afford. If the Middle Eastern welfare nations such as the United Arab Emirates wish to stay in power, they need oil money to maintain that. Right now one of the main reasons oil prices have been low, is because Russia is undercutting our oil prices. Russia’s entry into OPEC is not only beneficial to us, but it is a necessary change. We do need their cooperation to maintain a higher standard for oil prices.

C. In coalition with other members of OPEC, Venezuela hopes to work together with any other nation willing to foster Russian entry, while still keeping any Russian dominance at bay. OPEC is geared towards the benefit of the community for oil production, not Russian, or any other nation’s political interests.

Issue #2: Threats posed by alternative energy development and the bad public image of oil.
    Oil – Bad public image, hated around the world because it pollutes, while coal is even worse in that regard. Possible plans – Russian entry, opposition to alternative energy sources. By opposing in the international community by stalling u.n. plans, and refusal to support of fund any investments into alternative energies. Delaying it’s arrival as long as possible in order to consolidate monetary gains from our oil domiance. Some may argue that we should turn to alternative energy. Must oppose this on account that we cannot afford to do that like the US, we all have our welfare states to run back home. And if we were to sell out to alternative energies, we certainly would not be pioneers of that, oil is exclusive to us, but alternative energy will not, we’ll lose our edge. Making our position no longer unique, we’ll risk returning to the 40’s in the era before oil, one marked by chaos and Israeli dominance. Possible positive plans, develop a mandatory or non mandatory monetary reserve from oil revenues, buying us some time.

So either represent Venezuela or represent some other OPEC nation, but if you have some time to kill. Help me since i put a lot of work into this.

Who the hell are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Knux897 View Post
    Who the hell are you?
    Don't be fucking rude. We could say the same thing about you.

Are you just wanting rewriting help or improved research?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

What exactly is the discussion/debate going on in this conference? I don't see it...nor do I understand why Russia would join OPEC at this point beyond the ability to influence decisions that they can ignore.

MUN (Model United Nations) is a mock UN conference. We have to dress up in attires and such. Most of the topics are usually current issues the UN is addressing and sometimes they are made up (this one).
    Last edited by Young Mage; 04-03-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Ok, yeah i'm young-fucking-mage. Deal with it. I was immature and stupid on Atari. I chose to present myself as such. I'm 16, give me a break.

and loli, i want to refute my paper and add any pertinent points. I've done about three weeks of research on this. Pretty much any oil related thing (poor word choice) since the oil crisis of 1973 up till today has been skimmed at the least.

And i want to see what points you guys can make. If i see any "good" pro points, i'll incorporate them and any "good" con points i see, i'll attempt to figure out something because someone might potentially bring it up.

Well, I'm not actually sober enough to play right now, but since MUN is great I'll think about it.

LMAO. What a GG reply.

Don't laugh at me.

I have minions, you know.

LOL ok, tell me that once you put the vodka bottle down sir.

Russia would not join OPEC because the oil & gas importers (Europe, USA) would put tremendous political pressure on both OPEC and Russia for this to not occur. If Russia joins OPEC, Saudi Arabia would no longer be calling the shots in terms of bringing oil production up or down. If Russia joins, it would increase the likelihood of OPEC members (as a whole) disagreeing on how much to produce and who can produce how much.

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Russia would not join OPEC because the oil & gas importers (Europe, USA) would put tremendous political pressure on both OPEC and Russia for this to not occur.
    Yes, but several South American countries aren't on good terms with USA and Russia provides them with weapons. Europe and USA honestly couldn't do anything to the OPEC countries without causing a global meltdown because if i remember correctly, OPEC produces 74% of the world's oil export. If they were to grow a pair and embargo oil, tell all those Western nations to "eff off", no such pressure could be used against them. OPEC has been dealt a very good hand, worse case scenario, nothing changes.

If Russia joins OPEC, Saudi Arabia would no longer be calling the shots in terms of bringing oil production up or down. If Russia joins, it would increase the likelihood of OPEC members (as a whole) disagreeing on how much to produce and who can produce how much.
    Rules could be placed in order to avoid such dismay because there will be Middle Eastern nations VS South America nations and Russia arguments. But if they happen to actually agree and successfully coordinate their production, all oil nations will have a much more stable economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Mage View Post
    Yes, but several South American countries aren't on good terms with USA and Russia provides them with weapons. Europe and USA honestly couldn't do anything to the OPEC countries without causing a global meltdown because if i remember correctly, OPEC produces 74% of the world's oil export. If they were to grow a pair and embargo oil, tell all those Western nations to "eff off", no such pressure could be used against them. OPEC has been dealt a very good hand, worse case scenario, nothing changes.
    Why did the oil embargo happen? Because the towelheads lost a war and those in power were forced to respond lest they be thrown out of power. N/N/N http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_oi...Yom_Kippur_War

Crippling your much stronger economic partner's economy = crippling your economy even more. Anyway, the US has a strategic petroleum reserve for this sort of thing now so it really wouldn't matter. Also, the US could and would (yes, even Obama) invade un-democratic towelhead countries if OPEC decided to cut off supplies forever to it.

Rules could be placed in order to avoid such dismay because there will be Middle Eastern nations VS South America nations and Russia arguments. But if they happen to actually agree and successfully coordinate their production, all oil nations will have a much more stable economy.
    If, if, if.

Topic 1: As a committee it is up to you to devise a way to deal with Non-OPEC members such as Russia. You must determine a way to maintain the mission of OPEC, continue to provide a stable oil supply and turn a high profit simultaneously. Remember, you are the exporters, not the importers.
    1) Finance a series of small scale Islamofascist terrorist strike against Western nations that import lots of oil. Fear over the stability of the world's oil supply (conveniently located in all those Arab nations) will drive the price up, while keeping the attacks small scale will prevent economic damage (which might impede oil importers' ability to pay). By having a small scale strike occur periodically, fear (and therefore oil prices) will remain consistently high. As an added bonus, terrorist strikes against our "allies" will give the various Arab OPEC nations an excuse to crack down harder on their citizens and eliminate political dissent at home, and we can blame it all on the Jews anyway.

2) Promote homosexuality, sexually promiscuous behavior, orgies, kinky sex and other activities deemed blasphemous to Allah. This will create an increased demand for condoms, plastic ball gags, latex body suits, dildos and all manner of other kinky sex toys made from plastics, synthetic rubber and other petroleum byproducts, resulting in an increased demand for oil. Furthermore, this will enrage our illiterate and ignorant Dark-Age era tribal populace into rioting and general uprising, sparking fears about the supply of oil (further raising prices) and causing an increased demand for crowd control equipment (like "riot shields"), which are also made of petroleum byproducts, even further stimulating the demand for oil. Blame the Jews.

If the populace gets out of control, ask the US for military aid to put down the uprisings in order to "secure the supply of oil."

3) Every decade or so, have some naive asshat with a Ph.D. remind the world that current proven oil reserves will only last another 50 years at most, in order to keep the moronic public anxious about the supply of oil. Under no circumstances should it mentioned that unproven reserves and oil fields owned (but not yet tapped) by major petro-corporations contain enough oil to make the current proven reserves look like a drop in the ocean.

It's been working since the early 1900's, so it should continue to be an effective strategy for another hundred years or more.

Issue #2: Threats posed by alternative energy development and the bad public image of oil.
    Not a problem. OPEC should actively support the development of solar technology, because "green energy" proponents are stupid twats who haven't been able to figure out how incredibly inefficient and infeasible it is to provide large amounts of power using solar energy. By supporting the development of solar power, we ensure that development of feasible future energy production is stunted in favor of political pandering to tree-hugging retards, ensuring reliance on burning oil for energy for the foreseeable future. Furthermore, current "cutting edge" solar technology relies heavily on synthetic plastics and rubbers made from petroleum, so environmentalist morons are unwittingly supporting the use of "evil" oil in their quest for "green" energy.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Why did the oil embargo happen? Because the towelheads lost a war and those in power were forced to respond lest they be thrown out of power.
    I mean I’m not really patriotic because I think patriotism is one of the leading causes of war, but I think you shouldn’t call them “towelheads”. At least treat them like humans please?
    Crippling your much stronger economic partner's economy = crippling your economy even more. Anyway, the US has a strategic petroleum reserve for this sort of thing now so it really wouldn't matter. Also, the US could and would (yes, even Obama) invade un-democratic towelhead countries if OPEC decided to cut off supplies forever to it.
    You’re really biased against them, but whatever. But in response to your comment, they can’t just violate their national sovereignty, the USA has no such mandates. Only the War Council has the mandate to do such a thing and it rarely exercises it.

And Citizen, i don't know if you're serious or not , but i am so using your ideas. You sir are my hero.

And Citizen, i don't know if you're serious or not , but i am so using your ideas.
    Happy to be of service.

If I wasn't allowed to corrupt high school classes and/or extra-curricular activities... I'd never get a date.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

I mean I’m not really patriotic because I think patriotism is one of the leading causes of war, but I think you shouldn’t call them “towelheads”. At least treat them like humans please?
    Ok...

And Citizen, i don't know if you're serious or not , but i am so using your ideas. You sir are my hero.
    WTF?

Ok...

WTF?
    ?????those weren't even replies????

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Happy to be of service.

If I wasn't allowed to corrupt high school classes and/or extra-curricular activities... I'd never get a date.
    LOL dude, i hope i grow up to be just as rhetorical as you and eloquent.

And Citizen, any way you could be less polarizing and extreme. I do have to follow some level of etiquette and most of my peers still giggle when "booty" mentioned. I don't know if many can "dildo" or "kinky" haha.

But yeah, any more ideas pro russia joining and pro "going green" or against russia joining and going green. I'm sure you can muster up something quite humorous .

And Citizen, any way you could be less polarizing and extreme.
    Of course.

I will decrease both in direct proportion to the compensation offered. (And, just to be clear, "me love you long time" only counts as compensation if you include a picture with your offer, and I like what I see.)

I do have to follow some level of etiquette
    Then be sure to keep both pinky fingers extended at all times, and don't forget to courtesy properly when you've finished.

and most of my peers still giggle when "booty" mentioned. I don't know if many can "dildo" or "kinky" haha.
    I see. That could be problematic. Perhaps you could implement visual aids, such as pictures of the item or sex act in question, if the words cause your peers to giggle. Should you be unable to procure visual aids, you could always use euphemisms. "Marital aid" is a popular euphemism for "sex toy" among the sexually repressed or elderly, and I suppose you could always use "alternative" or "non-traditional" as a substitute for "kinky." If anyone asks for clarification on what those terms mean... well, I can't see any way whereby you could be faulted for giving a direct answer to a direct question.

But yeah, any more ideas pro russia joining and pro "going green" or against russia joining and going green. I'm sure you can muster up something quite humorous .
    I'll have a few drinks and get back to you. In the meantime, I think you're in need of a snappy slogan or catchphrase to make your case for you. Perhaps slides... you know, snappy slogans with images... I'll see what I can dream up.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Of course.

I will decrease both in direct proportion to the compensation offered. (And, just to be clear, "me love you long time" only counts as compensation if you include a picture with your offer, and I like what I see.)
    If i win a gavel, i'll post a picture of myself with it.

Then be sure to keep both pinky fingers extended at all times, and don't forget to courtesy properly when you've finished.
    Has it ever occurred to you that maybe you should become a schoolteacher? Yes, shitty pay. BUT, your students...gosh. haah

I see. That could be problematic. Perhaps you could implement visual aids, such as pictures of the item or sex act in question, if the words cause your peers to giggle. Should you be unable to procure visual aids, you could always use euphemisms. "Marital aid" is a popular euphemism for "sex toy" among the sexually repressed or elderly, and I suppose you could always use "alternative" or "non-traditional" as a substitute for "kinky." If anyone asks for clarification on what those terms mean... well, I can't see any way whereby you could be faulted for giving a direct answer to a direct question.
    HAHAHHAHA, i'll try to keep it PG-13 though. But i'm sure some will get the notion of what i'm refering to.

I'll have a few drinks and get back to you. In the meantime, I think you're in need of a snappy slogan or catchphrase to make your case for you. Perhaps slides... you know, snappy slogans with images... I'll see what I can dream up.
    "I'm as cool as the unused side of a pillow" is my motto. Maybe you can give me a new one. haha.

And i'm all ears, the conference is next friday/saturday. so until then.

Wait, are you serious or are you just trolling me? You're a registered sex offender?

And please, i'm using your ideas, i'm not going to plagiarize your extremist ideas....

Wait, are you serious or are you just trolling me? You're a registered sex offender?
    Well, I can't lie... I've never been good with paperwork, so while I've always aspired to be an officially recognized, registered sex offender, I've never been able to go through all the paperwork they demand of me to get on the official registry. So I guess that technically makes me an amateur sex offender, or unregistered sex offender.

Still, the nice folks at the Ohio Department of Corrections do keep trying to contact me to get me on the official list, so clearly someone out there thinks I'm qualified to be officially registered as a sex offender, even if I'm unwilling to to jump through all the bureaucratic hoops.

Dear God, you lied to me! </3

What else can be said about going green? If someone brings up more efficient ways of producing energy? so air? water? fire? earth? heart?

It's gonna take me more than a few hours for me come up with reasons to support green energy, since green energy is a bigger scam than Madoff investments. Good things come to those who wait.

China, the producer of most of our stuff, doesn't think so. They are throwing billions into government wind power plans. If we had been producing that crap here all this time, Americans would be too sick to be morbidly obese.

Oh, i don't care about going green and the three Rs. Venezuela isn't going to support it anyways. But i'd you have more epic reasons as to why we should or shouldn't support green energy. I'd really appreciate it.

China?

* You can't go outside in most of their cities without wearing a mask. I think it was Dread who reported the terrible smog in their cities even now.
    * Constant threat of national collapse from unrest as the regular citizens are exposed to a constant stream of chemicals and pollutants in the air and water -- and the government agencies designed to control this are weak and ineffective.
    * The spread of public outrage as every year thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of Chinese miners die in coal mine accidents.

Remember, China really bore the brunt of all the pollution for the products we have been consuming since the early 1980s. And now they are living with the consequences, though (China is) admittedly pumping incredible amounts of resources into green energy.

With the balance of payments so messed up, if the US is to avert global collapse caused by huge unemployment, we must try to get China to stop undervaluing its currency. If we do that, we'll inevitably have more factories here producing our own crap (we won't produce all of it though-- not even close). As that happens, we'll need good green energy technology to fuel the factories.

--China can do the research though, and we can steal the tech from them for a change, aye?--

And of course, the other factor that affects China vis a vis "green" energy is the abundance of Rare Earth Elements (REE) in their borders - something like 95% of the global supply of REEs comes from Chinese mines... and among other things, these particular metals are required for most forms of "green" energy (or at least for our current technological implementation of them). You pretty much can't build an industrial-scale wind turbine farm, solar panel array or tidal generator without 'em.

But again, going by your logic, that number (if true) is only true because Chinese labor is relatively cheap to other places that might have those metals -- like New Hampshire. New Hampshire had a good bit of active mines before it got wildly uncompetitive with Asian sources.

Aside: I went to one of those mines once -- it got turned into a sort of mine-your-own-rocks park. It was mildly interesting; we couldn't really mine our own though, and it wasn't allowed. (that wasn't on the brochure!) We were only allowed to take the rocks that had been left after the owners had done some explosions and ferreted out the most valuable rocks.