Thread: Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients

Default Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients

I figure I've logged enough hours in the game to give it a recommendation, since it's likely most people have never heard of it. It's an indie grand strategy game that's actually pretty fun. It takes place in early Roman days, with the goal being to unify Italy as whatever faction you choose.

It's a lot like the Total War series, except that there's no difference between the strategic and tactical maps. Also, lower production values on account of being an indie game, and none of Total War's trademark absurdly long load screens. There's a lot of supply line management and troop maneuvering - good maneuvering can let you win a battle against an otherwise superior foe.

There's a patch in beta right now (right click when it's in your library and opt in to the beta) that adds a bunch of new features that really improve the game.

This is one of the better strategy games I've played recently, and worth the price of entry IMO.

Screenshots:

Steam link

Cam you play it as a strategy game and skip the battles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

They happen on the same map in real time, so not really. The battles aren't as time-intensive as in Total War though.

$14.99 during the winter sale, historical low.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Thanks for the recommendation; I bit.

12 hours in now. Some initial thoughts:

- Reviews are correct, the tutorial is useless
    - Beginning is very hard, largely as a result of the crappy tutorial. I've restarted 5 times so far as I've learned what to do to survive adequately.
    - Resource management is good. Challenging.
    - Battles are basic. Little compared to either the tactical sophistication or slick presentation of the Total War battles. I feel that it's adequate for the game's purposes however, which are not really about detailed battle scenarios. I am still getting to grips with the games quirks though, troop-maneuvering-wise.
    - Strategy and Balance seem to be good. It's tough so far, and I'm learning not to spread myself too thin too quickly, as I quickly run into trouble resource- and supply line-wise if I do.
    - The game's winning point is, I feel, the merge of the micro strategy map with the macro tactical map into one. Makes the game much more urgent and RTS-like, while still retaining the considered and thoughtful strategy aspects.

All in all - worth the money.

Will update my thoughts as I get into the game. There are still subtleties I have yet to understand or master.