Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California Californicating Itself

Default California Californicating Itself

As Los Angeles teeters towards bankruptcy, let's have a thread about out out-of-control spending, a poor tax structure and political nihilism is financially destroying California!

We can start with an article from the Los Angeles Times, hardly a bastion of fiscal conservationism.

latimes.com/news/local/la-me-la-budget-warnings3-2010apr03,0,2994076.story

Despite dire budget warnings, Los Angeles' payroll continued to grow
    The mayor and City Council continued to expand L.A.'s workforce and awarded generous union contracts as they were being warned of the looming recession and the need for cutbacks.

By Phil Willon

April 3, 2010

Threats this week by Los Angeles' powerful municipal utility to withhold $73 million from the treasury helped reveal a city that has become increasingly dependent on indirect and onetime sources of revenue to pay its bills.

Combined with the worst economic decline since the Depression, those dwindling sources of cash have forced city officials to confront a problem they have long tried to ignore -- a steady growth of the city payroll for the last decade.

The city's core 35,000-member workforce increased by at least 3,000 between 2000 and 2009. During the same time, Los Angeles' yearly pension contributions more than tripled to $723 million, fueled by investment losses but also by the larger payroll.

When the effects of the failing economy surfaced in late 2007, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and the City Council approved significant raises for union workers and pressed ahead with a police force expansion even as they talked openly of a need for cutbacks and threatened layoffs.

"It's a head-scratcher," said Jack Kyser, a Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp. economist. "If you know that tough times are coming, you should be ultra-cautious. You've had ongoing warnings about the magnitude of the downturn and they haven't been listening."

Now, the city's $4.4-billion general fund -- which pays for police, libraries, parks and other city services -- has a $212-million budget deficit that could grow to $1 billion in four years without drastic cuts. Publicly, city officials have blamed the steep drop in tax revenue, but concede that the payroll increases have played a major role as well.

When he took office in 2005, Villaraigosa promised to erase the city's long-recognized "structural deficit" -- the gap between revenue and spending. He weeded out budget gimmicks used for years, yet, according to the city's chief legislative analyst, in his first budget the mayor proposed the creation of 805 positions.

Villaraigosa now acknowledges that his efforts were undermined not only by rapidly declining tax revenues but by salary increases and his vow to expand the LAPD.

"It's a crisis of spending and it's also a revenue crisis. It's a crisis of both," Villaraigosa said. "I take responsibility. It predates my administration, but there's no question that it also occurred during my administration."

City Administrative Officer Miguel Santana said officials for years have relied on finding one-time pots of money to cover up to $200-million annual budget gaps created by a growing workforce, expanded services and generous pay packages.

"If you look in the context of our $4-billion budget, this year's drop in revenue is not unsurmountable -- $184 million," Santana, Los Angeles' top financial analyst, said in a March interview. "But it is significant if you're living by the skin of your teeth."

To help cover the city's bills, elected leaders have reached beyond staple tax revenue collections; liquidating city property, increasing parking meter and trash fees, and diverting revenue from the Department of Water and Power.

Since 1992, the DWP has provided the city budget $2.7 billion collected from electric bills.

On Thursday, Controller Wendy Greuel warned that the city could run out of money by June 30 if the DWP withheld a promised $73-million payment to the general fund. Acting DWP General Manager Raman Raj favored rejecting the transfer after the council turned down a proposed increase in electric bills, which Raj said put the DWP's "financial outlook in significant jeopardy."

Now Villaraigosa and the council have few options, with Los Angeles voters in no mood to approve a tax increase and with few other sources of revenue left.

The mayor and council already have authorized the elimination of up to 4,000 city jobs, on top of the 2,400 workers who were allowed to retire early.

Former City Controller Laura Chick said officials waited until things were so bad that they had no choice but to act. "That's an insane way of governing. We don't have political leadership today that is strong, courageous and thoughtful enough to look into the future."

What makes things worse is that the mayor and council members had been put on notice, Chick said.

As city controller, she warned in 2007 that the reserve fund was depleted. That same year, then-City Administrative Officer Karen Sisson projected a $215-million shortfall.

Council member Bernard C. Parks urged colleagues to prepare layoff lists because of a potential "drastic reduction" in revenues. Despite those warnings, the mayor and council signed off on raises for the Coalition of L.A. City Unions, which represents 22,000 civilian employees.

The projected cost of the labor contracts, which have been renegotiated as a result of the crisis, was $255 million over five years. One union hailed its agreement as the "best contract in 40 years."

Villaraigosa said later that he never would have supported the contracts had he known that a fiscal meltdown was on the horizon. At the time, however, it appeared affordable: UCLA economic experts were predicting a 4% increase in revenue.

"They told us it was going to be bright and rosy," the mayor said. Villaraigosa added that the 2007 contracts included a provision to bring the unions back to the table in the event of a fiscal crisis.

Still, those concessions took more than a year to negotiate. That delay was, in part, because the mayor failed to promptly replace Sisson, the city's lead labor negotiator, after she resigned in July 2008. At the time, Villaraigosa also was campaigning for reelection and weighing a run for governor.

The mayor said he was not distracted. His first choice to replace Sisson withdrew amid questions from council members about his salary demands and ties to lobbying firms.

Union leaders said, however, that the delay froze discussions over cuts to the workforce, preventing the city from saving millions of dollars much sooner.

"In 2007, we recognized, together with Karen Sisson, that there was a serious problem," said Victor Gordo, an attorney for the union coalition. The unions started lobbying in 2007 for early retirement, saying it could take thousands of workers off the books. Villaraigosa said labor leaders refused to consider increasing workers' pension contributions to cover the costs.

"The unions weren't ready to negotiate," he said. "Yeah, they were talking about it, but they didn't want to pay for it."

A deal was not reached until six months ago. In return, union coalition members were exempted from layoffs and furloughs until July 1. That provision severely limited the city's ability to balance the books when tax revenues recently fell more sharply than expected.

Now the mayor and council plan to tap the city's reserve fund, which has triggered a downgrade of the city's credit rating on Wall Street.

Parks, who heads the council's budget committee, said that even amid the current crisis, it has been difficult to persuade city leaders to find the political will to make cuts.

"Every time there's a discussion about reducing the workforce, like there is now, we have elected officials looking for money to make it go away," he said.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I say the legalize heroin too. Mj isn't stimulating their economy enough. Using a fiscal policy at this point would be useless and any monetary policy wouldn't prove very efficient either.

Two charts, based on the California stats I attached to my last post.

California's public-sector growth rate is faster than population growth.

Please note the numbers for population are in thousands. Obviously the public sector isn't larger than the whole population. What's important is the slope of the lines. Over the past 60 years, California's public sector of mostly unionized, pensioned (California has the largest pension fund in the US) and un-shrinkable workers has expanded faster than state population growth.

California's public sector workers serve fewer and fewer Californians.

On a very simple scale of efficiency, each public employee in California serves fewer California residents. California's government workers used to be paid by 180 residents per worker. Over 60 years, that number has plummeted by more than 60%, to 107 Californians per government worker.

HINT: WE CANT AFFORD THIS SHENANIGANS.

That is the liberals dream. To have everyone employed by the state.

One thing I think should be made very clear. States should never bail out cities and the country should never bail out states. Let the city suffer for its own stupidity.

Do you want a decentralized government then? I mean it really helped the Indians during the 500 bce - 500 ce era and the Native Americas.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Mage View Post
    Do you want a decentralized government then? I mean it really helped the Indians during the 500 bce - 500 ce era and the Native Americas.
    I like Federalism. Things that can be handled by the states should. Things like Homeland Security, Military and Diplomacy should be handled by a centralized government.

Secession seems like a logical step because once give some leeway, they want to retain that autonomy or that's how i see it. How it was during George Washington's and Abraham Lincoln's time.

ok don't nail me on all the confounding variables cause America wishing independence and the southern states wishing independence....

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Oh oh oh!!! Can i the the idiot to asks "how can there be more employed individuals than individuals themselves?!?!?"?

If you like?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I say the legalize heroin too. Mj isn't stimulating their economy enough.
    Probably has something to do with the fact that MJ died last year. It's rather unfair to expect him to keep stimulating the economy after his death.

But why legalize any drugs at all? It's just going to lead to a slippery slope where people stop respecting the government's right to own the bodies of its citizens, and no good can possibly come from that.

Secession seems like a logical step because once give some leeway, they want to retain that autonomy or that's how i see it. How it was during George Washington's and Abraham Lincoln's time.

ok don't nail me on all the confounding variables cause America wishing independence and the southern states wishing independence....
    Please tell me you're this badly confused about the basics of American history because you're not an American. Please. And if you could explain the incoherence of those sentences by confirming that English is not your native language, that would also do a lot to put my mind at ease as well.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

It's rather unfair to expect him to keep stimulating the economy after his death.
    Not at all. Record sales, TV coverage, tribute concerts, etc.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Probably has something to do with the fact that MJ died last year. It's rather unfair to expect him to keep stimulating the economy after his death.

But why legalize any drugs at all? It's just going to lead to a slippery slope where people stop respecting the government's right to own the bodies of its citizens, and no good can possibly come from that.

Please tell me you're this badly confused about the basics of American history because you're not an American. Please. And if you could explain the incoherence of those sentences by confirming that English is not your native language, that would also do a lot to put my mind at ease as well.
    I wanna be cool and say, "i was high when i wrote it", but i'm not so...

Well, i've lived for extended periods of time in four different countries, i'm fluent in four different languages, and i'm pretty sure Andrew Jackson slayed the banks. And i've only been in America for two years.

and i'm pretty sure MJ's movie stimulated the economy more than the bailout.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    What?

Keep in mind that the state population is in thousands. If I were to compare millions versus hundreds of thousands, the graph wouldn't be visible. And if I made one of the data series plot to a secondary y axis, you wouldn't be able to see the different slopes.

The point is the slope: population goes up 3.8x over 60 years and state employees increase 5.6x over 60 years.

Population should have only gone up 1.1x at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    The point is the slope:
    Huff huff

Is someone talking about derivatives in here

I came as fast as I could

(that's what she said)

No but seriously Steely, why the eyebrow?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

The graph just seems very misleading and makes the growth of employees seem more dramatic, because of the different scales.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The number of Californians is necessarily divided by 1000 so that you can examine the rate of change between the two numbers. This isn't some kind of trick, it's actually how the State of California presents its own numbers on this subject (see PDF I attached on opening post).

If you compare the numbers wholesale, you can't compare the slope at all because they are different numbers relative to each other:

I could also plot the y/y growth in the two numbers, but it would basically just be two straight lines (with the state government employee # being higher than population growth).

Remember, I'm not suggesting that California state employees are becoming 1000% of the overall population. It's that their growth has been faster than the state population. The only per-capita chart is the second one, which actually compares Californians per state employee.

The number of Californians is necessarily divided by 1000 so that you can examine the rate of change between the two numbers.
    It also distorts the data because the combination of the fact that population is in thousands and the scale of the y axis makes the stat employee population growth seem very sharp and the population growth seem very flat. Why not just make a graph out of percentage growth of the two figures?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The growth of state employees is sharp relative to population growth. As I mentioned above, "I could also plot the y/y growth in the two numbers, but it would basically just be two straight lines (with the state government employee # being higher than population growth)."

CA, the canary in the coal mine. Even if they retire half the state workers early and let their positions fall into attrition, those pension and legacy costs will continue. Just like GM. That's the problem in every state---teachers, fire fighters, police, even janitors got State Employee Status. Retire at age 50 with $100,000/yr in pension and full health care? Sounds like Greece.

Unions were able to force their hand because we have an employer-based benefit subsidy system. We didn't have universal health care, defined benefits pensions became defined contribution pensions, those became the trump cards. Making all these people state employees with platinum plans was the carrot used to attract them. Everyone loved the bubble until it popped.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    What?

Keep in mind that the state population is in thousands. If I were to compare millions versus hundreds of thousands, the graph wouldn't be visible. And if I made one of the data series plot to a secondary y axis, you wouldn't be able to see the different slopes.

The point is the slope: population goes up 3.8x over 60 years and state employees increase 5.6x over 60 years.
    The graph is useless, really, because they are on different scales. And on equal scales it's crap too, like you showed before. Second chart is more interesting, because it looks at the ratio, which actually is useful. But then it would be nice to compare it to the numbers in other states. And apparently the ratio has only moved a little within a 10% band over the last thirty years, so I'm not exactly sure what the point is, if you don't compare it to other states.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    CA, the canary in the coal mine. Even if they retire half the state workers early and let their positions fall into attrition, those pension and legacy costs will continue. Just like GM. That's the problem in every state---teachers, fire fighters, police, even janitors got State Employee Status. Retire at age 50 with $100,000/yr in pension and full health care? Sounds like Greece.

Unions were able to force their hand because we have an employer-based benefit subsidy system. We didn't have universal health care, defined benefits pensions became defined contribution pensions, those became the trump cards. Making all these people state employees with platinum plans was the carrot used to attract them. Everyone loved the bubble until it popped.
    Gee, lets change the pension laws and let corporations and government pension fund stewards gamble the pension money in the stock market and then let them short their contributions with the logic that the market will rise 12% every year and never go down so they can post higher profits and cut or spend tax dollars on something else. And when the inevitable happens, lets point to the now bankrupt pension funds and scream SOCIALISM BAD and the unions that negotiated the deals in good faith and scream UNIONS BAD and blame them for bankrupting corporations and state governments. Where did the pension money go? Whoever sold high. Everyone else is a fucking idiot.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Read about the underfunded pensions? Even airline workers have some federal "guarantee" theirs will not fail. (EBTF? something like that.) Hey look, I don't have the answers, but one idea I've read about is having two separate investment markets: one for retail investors and pensions, the other for hedge funds and speculators. KISS, returns of 5% would be fine if they kept up with inflation, buy and hold the old fashioned way based on value, cash bank deposits at 5%, loans at 8%, no derivatives, no fancy "instruments or vehicles".

Banks borrowing money cheap from the fed, they don't have to make loans to make profit, just buy Treasurys. They don't have to keep loans on their books or service them, HUD / franddies or the fed will buy them up with a guarantee. Then we print more money.

States and municipalities were lured by bond rate swaps that fell apart....ie Georgia's sewer debacle....shitty mess.

Read about the underfunded pensions? Even airline workers have some federal "guarantee" theirs will not fail. (EBTF? something like that.) Hey look, I don't have the answers, but one idea I've read about is having two separate investment markets: one for retail investors and pensions, the other for hedge funds and speculators. KISS, returns of 5% would be fine if they kept up with inflation, buy and hold the old fashioned way based on value, cash bank deposits at 5%, loans at 8%, no derivatives, no fancy "instruments or vehicles".
    Good article on pensions from the NYT:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/ma...x6ML/ELxkaa1XA

From the article:

in 1974, Congress finally passed the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, or Erisa, which, among other protections, established the P.B.G.C. to insure private pensions. Erisa, according to Wooten, who wrote a history of the act, completed the transition of pensions into a part of the social safety net. It was also the birth of moral hazard.
    Pensions are guaranteed to a maximum of $45k annually today. Many airline pilots went from a fixed income of around $100k in pension benefits to a maximum of $45k overnight.

Also, it wasn't because of evil unions or evil socialism, but because of good old fashioned profit and greed. When you play games to short your pension fund you get bigger short term profits which means higher stock prices. Everyone's happy! Yay! Except that you're fucking your workers. And fucking the country as a whole. And convincing morons that pensions are by nature bad. Of course these are the same morons that think regulation of things like pension plans is bad too. Afterall, what corporation would do something so clearly not in its long term interest? They'll surely regulate themselves, right? RIGHT?

VI. THE SURPRISINGLY PLIABLE SYSTEM OF PENSION ACCOUNTING
    Erisa, which would be amended several times, was supposed to ensure that corporate sponsors kept their plans funded. The act includes a Byzantine set of regulations that seemingly require companies to make timely contributions. As recently as 2000, most corporate plans were adequately funded, or at least appeared to be. Their assets took a serious hit, however, when the stock market tumbled. (In retrospect, they had been cavalier in assuming the bull market would continue.) And they were burned again when interest rates fell.

Since pension liabilities are, for the most part, future liabilities, companies calculate their present obligation by applying a discount rate to what they will owe in the future. As interest rates move lower, they have to set more money aside because it is assumed that their assets will grow more slowly. The principle is familiar to any individual saver: you need to save more if you expect, say, a 5 percent return on your investment instead of a 10 percent return. What is much in dispute is just which rate is proper for pension accounting.

Corporations have been gaming the system by using the highest rates allowable, which shrinks their reported liabilities, and thus their funding requirements. The P.B.G.C., when calculating the system's deficit, uses what is in effect a market rate; whatever it would cost to buy annuities for everyone covered in a pension plan is, it argues, the plan's true "liability." The difference between these measures can be extreme. Depending on whom you talk to, General Motors' mammoth pension fund is either fully funded or, as the P.B.G.C. maintains, it is $31 billion in the hole.
    Fun to read warnings about GM pre-bankruptcy.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

PBGC, that was it. All these damn acronyms. Like I said about the two distinct markets idea---one for pensions as FDIC deposits would grow smaller and slower, but at least be 'safer' than the funds being used to gamble with. It's a shame that savers are being hurt big time now. CD rates around 1%? wheee!

GM---Cain and I go way back on that argument about legacy costs. They ate their own tail to feed the retirees (and furloughed sitting in jobs banks, doing nothing). Unions couldn't have commanded those outrageous health benefits, if we'd had a sensible affordable alternative.

Employers might actually hire now, if they didn't have that noose around their neck.

PBGC, that was it. All these damn acronyms. Like I said about the two distinct markets idea---one for pensions as FDIC deposits would grow smaller and slower, but at least be 'safer' than the funds being used to gamble with. It's a shame that savers are being hurt big time now. CD rates around 1%? wheee!

GM---Cain and I go way back on that argument about legacy costs. They ate their own tail to feed the retirees (and furloughed sitting in jobs banks, doing nothing). Unions couldn't have commanded those outrageous health benefits, if we'd had a sensible affordable alternative.

Employers might actually hire now, if they didn't have that noose around their neck.
    The legacy costs are the result of shorting their pension funds for decades so they could post an extra billion in profit every year. If there had been sensible regulation in place, they would never have been allowed to do that. Pensions should have never been allowed into the stock market either - they should have been 100% in government bonds. Live for today, fuck tomorrow. Fucking idiots.
    The Rules

You do realise that the 'canary' analogy only works if the subject is small enough to be lost without wholesale destruction don't you? California isn't the 'canary in the mine', if it falls the heavens come down with it.
    Congratulations America

A little money in the hands of many is better than a lot of money in the hands of a few. The Reaganomics experiment was a failure. Lesson learned? Let's role the tax rates back to pre-1980 rates.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Hiring people for government n a time of unemployment is a stimulus to economy, paid with US debt.
    It is an ugly choice. Let unemployment to raise, or fund employment with taxpayer's money.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.