Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    You make a good point.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

So, there was this company I used to work for in sales during my time at university. Their product consisted primarily of a B2B communications adapter (for exchanging invoices, orders and the like between companies with incompatible systems, whole thing runs under the acronym EDI). I joined the company just after it had been bought by a larger company.

The larger company was interested in the software because it let them cover the small-to-middle-sized companies whereas their own EDI solution was targetted at large-to-behemoth companies.

However, towards the end of my time there, I saw a massive shift away from the smaller businesses which sometimes left me a bit stumped when an interested company asked me: "Well, that's nice but a bit of an overkill for us. Don't you have anything smaller?" when in fact we did have something smaller just a week ago.

The whole thing finally resulted in an acquisition of the whole company by SAP (which provide most definitely no "small company" solutions and even middle-sized tends to be a bit pricey in my opinion).

So, after four years since I've last been there, I was a bit interested as to how the whole thing worked out. The result of my search:

The company itself doesn't seem to exist anymore, the website directs directly to SAP without mentioning the company and the original product of the smaller company seems to have been transferred to a completely new company.

Okay, I know this is in German but you'll probably understand the gist of it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJWoL0KMzC4&app=desktop

This is actual advertisement by a municipal part of the CDU. (Hint: The C in CDU stands for "Cow"). Our cabaret artists are already complaining that pulling stunts like that puts them out of a job.

No shit, Sherlock.

Unrelated: I just watched some reports on the BBC site about the "progress" of the Brazilian effort to get their stadiums built in time for the World Cup. Doesn't look too good.

Does not bode well for the Olympics either.

From random people who claim to be living in, or from Brazil, the delays are standard practice. People will start throwing money at the problem to get it done on time and it helps line the pockets of all the corrupt people that have been holding back Brazil on the world stage.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    No shit, Sherlock.

Unrelated: I just watched some reports on the BBC site about the "progress" of the Brazilian effort to get their stadiums built in time for the World Cup. Doesn't look too good.

Does not bode well for the Olympics either.
    Why is it so obvious? Most academics are pretty left wing. And yet even the most left-wing departments, including those populated predominantly by minorities, preferred dealing with white males over anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    From random people who claim to be living in, or from Brazil, the delays are standard practice. People will start throwing money at the problem to get it done on time and it helps line the pockets of all the corrupt people that have been holding back Brazil on the world stage.
    The problem is that there's simply no time to get this done on time. They thought it was business as usual, but they weren't used to projects of this scale.
    Hope is the denial of reality

You mean white males in traditional positions of power have fucked up the process, but call it business as usual. Are you surprised by this?

Yeah, because gender studies departments are dominated by white males.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Why is it so obvious?
    Of course it's obvious. Professors are human, just like everyone else. I'm not quite sure where they got that absurd notion from in the first place, that they would be immune to prejudice.

.... Most academics are pretty left wing. And yet even the most left-wing departments, including those populated predominantly by minorities, preferred dealing with white males over anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Of course it's obvious. Professors are human, just like everyone else. I'm not quite sure where they got that absurd notion from in the first place, that they would be immune to prejudice.
    Kind of hard to reconcile implicit/explicit racism and sexism with many of these professor's research and normative goals.

Kind of hard to reconcile implicit/explicit racism and sexism with many of these professor's research and normative goals.
    But you'll 'participate' for a year anyway, since it means a paycheck.

Or I could, you know, be one of those people who aren't racist and sexist.

Or I could, you know, be one of those people who aren't racist and sexist.

Kudos to your Union Reps, huh.

Tonight's episode of Mad Men.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Without you I wouldn' t even have known there was an episode. Thanks.
    Congratulations America

Why is it so obvious? Most academics are pretty left wing. And yet even the most left-wing departments, including those populated predominantly by minorities, preferred dealing with white males over anyone else.
    It's perfectly in line with the leftist religious delusion that discrimination is institutional, insidious and pervasive. They may in fact be doing this on purpose in order to garner support for such absurd leftist claims
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Or maybe they only believe that because they're personally sexist and racist.

Maybe, but probably not.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Spoiler:
    The ghost of Bert Cooper singing The Best Things in Life are Free?

If so, that just aired here tonight. I thought it was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Spoiler:
    The ghost of Bert Cooper singing The Best Things in Life are Free?

If so, that just aired here tonight. I thought it was brilliant.
    Spoiler:
    The scene itself was brilliant, I totally enjoyed the song and dance routine.

I'm just not sure I think it jived that Don was hallucinating that, then.

I thought Peggy's pulling the moon landing into her pitch was pretty cool, though.

http://time.com/2816496/hunger-games...ical-thailand/

First Hunger games stole it from the Scouts, now pissed off people in Thailand have picked it up.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

There is a woodpecker who lives near me who spent most of the spring pecking the fireplace. This morning he suddenly discovered that there is actual wood on my back porch. So I took my darling little killer outside to show him the new tasty treat a bit ago when he started pecking again, and the cat practically tripped me in his haste to get back into the house. Apparently woodpeckers are scarier than raccoons and coyotes.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27762435 Apparently all the corruption allegations leveled at Qatar and FIFA are due to racism.

Not really news:
    http://www.bundesligavibes.com/sepp-...ve-for-africa/

Look at the date of the article.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

An Oklahoma company has created a bulletproof blanket that children can wear like a backpack to shield themselves in the case of a school shooting.

The Bodyguard Blanket, which costs $1000, is the latest body armour product targeted at school students in the United States, where parents and schools can already buy bulletproof jackets, backpacks, and whiteboards.

Gun-control lobby groups say there were at least 44 school shootings in the US - an average of more than three a month - between December 2012 and February 10, 2014.

That seems about as helpful as ducking under a table in the event of a nuclear attack.

The blanket is designed to protect against tornado debris. The news only went full retard with the "bullet blanket" because it was put through the same test police body armor does, to show how strong it was.

As of week ago if you have a face tattoo and are in the US army you will be separated from the army in about 2week time period. Neck tattoos however will be grandfathered in.