Page 102 of 140 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 4194

Thread: What made you go WTF today?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    People all over the place seem to be jumping at this Solar Roadways thingie and also throw money at it like there's no tomorrow. Seems to me like I have just found material for one of my lessons - the end of this semester was to incorporate some basic infos about renewable energy sources. And this is a pretty clear-cut example of "nice idea but not really."

This guy pretty much sums up all the problems with that notion:

When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Is social media the kind of "renewable energy resource" you meant in your lesson plan?

Yes, GGT, I'm including a video about the economical and physical problems this idea will run into - and the lesson will be about "social media".

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Is social media the kind of "renewable energy resource" you meant in your lesson plan?
    How on earth did you make that connection??!
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Reddit killed the whole reason I used RES and now their admins appear baffled that people are pissed off about this change to the vote count system.

I needed new checks. Discovered they Disney has licensed a set Frozen check designs

I bought it.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...170035152.html

Am I missing something here? How is this legal? The government is forcing private companies to give away part of their product for free...
    Hope is the denial of reality

Idk, you manage to make then pay taxes, too.

How is this anything but a publicity stunt anyway? Sure, per people unable to pay their medicine is a problem, but I doubt pot is the medicine most needed, and I doubt they're making all pharmacies give away free stuff.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    How is this anything but a publicity stunt anyway?
    Bingo, with a side dig at what the government assistance programs won't cover.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Idk, you manage to make then pay taxes, too.

How is this anything but a publicity stunt anyway? Sure, per people unable to pay their medicine is a problem, but I doubt pot is the medicine most needed, and I doubt they're making all pharmacies give away free stuff.
    When people can't pay for drugs, the government pays for them. They don't force the private companies to provide the goods/services for free. What's particularly egregious is that the same government forces poor people to pay $40 for a marijuana license (for use), that only lasts a year.

So this looks like a Venezuelan solution to poverty. Why bother having the government do anything when you can just force private companies to give shit away for free!

This is the oddest decision. I expect it to get challenged

So, I got a bicycle from my dad since my old one has ... disappeared (due to the stupid brother of a friend), and my dad has since bought an e-bike for himself.

We just did a small biking trip with colleagues and while I was cycling, I felt my nerves tingling from time to time. I chalked that up to the unfamiliar bike and told myself that I simply had to adjust the steering bar, so that it didn't press on my nerves.

After a while I began to notice something strange, however: This tingling only happened when I was braking. And then only if I was using both lever brakes. Levers made of metal. Connected to the brakes by metal Bowden cables. Which in turn were connected to the frame by metal struts. The tingling also disappeared when I switched my hub dynamo on.

In essence: Setting the dynamo to "off" causes a short somewhere which makes me part of a circuit as soon as I use both brakes.

So there is this movie 'The fault in our stars' which was partly shot in Amsterdam. As it happens, just around the corner of where I live. In one of the scenes the leads sit on a bench right next to the canal. As there are no benches right next a canal anywhere in Amsterdam an old looking model was put in especially for the movie.

So far so good, movie is shot, and becomes relatively successful which then leads to people starting to look for said bench. Which was removed, by somebody, nobody really knows who. To make a long story short; as of today Amsterdam officially has ONE bench right next to the water.
    Congratulations America

I honestly wasn't aware that Austria seems to be Nazi Germany 2.0

Seriously. One current prominent example: The trial against Josef S., a German student.

Six months ago there was a demonstration against a gathering of fraternities in Vienna. (Those fraternities are very conservative, are quite old and nothing like the fraternities in the US)

It got a bit out of control with riots and all. The only person they caught: Josef S. He had a noticable band logo on his jacket, that's what got him caught.
    Up until now there's not much of a problem: Riots. They caught one guy. Okay.

The problem begins when one judge proclaims, mere hours after he's been caught: "He can expect long jail time!" The indictment reads like a memo from a warzone: "Demonstation mercenaries", "War", a cushioned placard becomes a "battering ram", cyclists and inline skaters are a "martial phalanx" in "cohort-like formations".

Josef S. ist stylized to be a mastermind. He is supposed to have been coordinating by furiously using his mobile phone, screaming: "Onwards! Onwards!" He also is supposed to have thrown a metal trash can.

It turns out that: He made two calls this evening and received one. The outgoing calls didn't even connect and the ingoing one was by his girlfriend. The screams, which had been caught on tape, turned out to be not by him after his defense attorney obtained a voice comparison analysis. He admits that he indeed grabbed a metal can. But only for putting it upright again, as another video clearly shows.
    The most important eye-witness contradicts himself repeatedly, by the way.
    Other police officers tell the court that they didn't see him do anything illegal.

The court was not fazed by that: He didn't actually phone someone? Clearly he intended to make the impression as if he did indeed phone someone! The voice comparion analysis which contradicts the main witness' statement? Naw, the witness is a police officer and as such better than any mere science! The not-thrown trash can? Well, he did grab it and he was present. So there. Doesn't matter that he didn't throw it. Because he could have! Even if no one saw it and nothing was hit.

And so on and so forth.

By the way: He's in investigative custody for 6 months now. The judge has gone on vacation, trial will resume in 1 month. By the way: Even supposed childmolesters get ankle monitors in Austria. And durations of more than 6 months for investigative custody is reserved for the most heineous and dangerous of crimes.

These are only some details, by the way. There's more which as a whole makes the proceedings look like a Kangaroo court.

"Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

The weather, global warming, I don't care what. But if it's 37 degrees Celcius in freaking Norway, where should you escape to find some cold? With our summers usually being 2 weeks of 20 degrees, air condition isn't exactly common and I just have to sweat this period out.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

A car inside a subterranean parking garage has gone up in flames yesterday near my hometown. Cause of the fire: a technical defect.

Result: 200 cars are only fit for the scrapyard now

Russia lost control of it's gecko sex satellite.

For reals?

They left out Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post

For reals?
    They left out Alaska as Loki said, but it would almost it in the dead space combined. I find the true shocker, however, to be that the U.S. poulation is only about 4% of the world population.

Real size map.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

http://imgur.com/a/WIfeN

What a sucker, doesn't he understand that his OR and recovery room included the services of a classically trained concert violinist covered in gold leaf??

I was creating a new thread in D & D about the Press, Polls, and Public Policy....but was abruptly interrupted. Not sure if it's a forum glitch or user error, but it's still a WTF moment.

Maybe it's a sign you should skip ahead to W

Anti-gay law struck down on technicality:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/01/wo...html?hpt=hp_t3

Everything will be okay now

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10253326...ts/7MGzevXogWx

TELL ME MORE OF THIS EARTH THING YOU CALL CAPSLOCK
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I report in to my reserve unit yesterday and they set me up for an airborne physical O_o; Bad time to mention I have a fear of free fall.....

Better not fall.